need honest opinions

Options

Replies

• McVeyMoon
    McVeyMoon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Start strength training to build some muscle -- this should help.

And recognize that the amount of calories you take in may not help you gain weight otherwise. I know the comments above are well meaning but as someone who had the same problem as you until I was 20, no amount of calories helped me gain weight though I tried for years. It wasn't until I developed some other health issues that I was able to gain weight (and then it was too much, argh).

Anyways, my point is... eating more may not help you, so start strength training to build some muscle. And enjoy the benefits of a high metabolism :)

Thank you!
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    I will def try the smoothie idea
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Start strength training to build some muscle -- this should help.

And recognize that the amount of calories you take in may not help you gain weight otherwise. I know the comments above are well meaning but as someone who had the same problem as you until I was 20, no amount of calories helped me gain weight though I tried for years. It wasn't until I developed some other health issues that I was able to gain weight (and then it was too much, argh).

Anyways, my point is... eating more may not help you, so start strength training to build some muscle. And enjoy the benefits of a high metabolism :)

You can't build actual muscles without eating a surplus- so the advice still stands.
    If you could, I would be a she-hulk right now.

OP, it can be really hard work to gain weight, and the food part can be more difficult than the exercise part. If your "default" setting is to eat less, you'll need to track your intake carefully and be really patient. Just "trying to eat more" isn't going to get you anywhere.
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    I feel like at times i eat a whole lot, other times if im busy i don't take the time to eat a full meal. So maybe with this app, ill be able to keep track and make sure i eat my goal each day.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a female and weigh 115 at 5`9".
    I've always been confident with my body but alot of people make fun of how skinny i am. And its making me lose my confidence. I would like to gain some muscle if anything. I never work out so maybe having no muscle is of problem. About 3yrs ago i weighed 127lbs but i worked out alot. And i lost the weight when i got mono...and can't gain any back due to high metabolism.

Feel free to bunch these people in the face once you've gained all your sexy muscles. :bigsmile:

Oh heck, feel free to punch them now.
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    Haha ^^^ i just might.

Is eating before bed a good way to pack on calories? Ive heard conflicting views on that.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Haha ^^^ i just might.

Is eating before bed a good way to pack on calories? Ive heard conflicting views on that.

Makes no difference when you eat the calories, but obviously, if you can pack in a few bowls of cereal before bed or ice cream, that can always be helpful for the gainz.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Haha ^^^ i just might.

I just got home and did the dishes- now I can eat.

yes it's 11- I have about 500 calories to be consumed before bed- I may or may not make it LOL- but I'm cutting right now- so I can use the extra deficit after yesterdays food debacle LOL

TL:DR
    Food timing is irrelevant- as long as it doesn't affect your sleep- you're fine!!!
  • EnviDreams
    EnviDreams Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude but these people are tripping girl! You are gorgeous !!!! Who cares that you are slightly underweight?! You look great!
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Your weight seems low for your height, but in your picture, you look totally healthy! Your face looks healthy; its not like your cheek bones are sticking out, and your face isn't sunken in... I can't tell, but from your weight being low, I'm assuming your legs are very thin; so you could benefit from thickening your legs and glutes. Squatting would be the answer for this. This would some nice curves. I would say that 5 or 10 pounds is more then enough. I think you look great regardless, very nice picture.;-)
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    Thank you all for the input! I dont think im severely underweight, but like i said would like to gain some muscle. I went from a very active job to a office job where i sit. Friday i started 30 day squat challenge, so hoping that on of tracking my calories i should be able to get to 120 by end of month.
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    There is also another picture on my profile that gives better idea of my weight. But no my face has never been sunk in.
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    What workout program/regimine are you doing? How many calories are you taking in per day? How much sleep are you getting? How is your stress? So much goes into building muscle.

Robert
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'm not trying to be rude but these people are tripping girl! You are gorgeous !!!! Who cares that you are slightly underweight?! You look great!

sigh.

Being gorgeous doesn't mean you're healthy. And no one implied that she wasn't lovely. Seriously.

Yes- she's extremely lovely- but that doesn't mean her body is operating at an optimal weight.

let's rephrase this
    "I'm not trying to be rude but these people are tripping girl- you are gorgeous!!! who care if you are morbidly obese?! you look great!"

secondly- why is being good looking the ultimate goal?
    "I've reached hot status- I can stop doing what I'm doing to improve my life and make it the best life it can be"

I don't think she's in any danger at this point- but there is no question she's at the low end of healthy weight range for her height- I think she's gotten great advice on how to move forward and put on some healthy weight and develop some strength and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out for her.
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    Looking hot is not the goal haha i want to be healthy and look healthy. i understand what you mean.

Also, Robert, i take in 2150 calories a day, sleep 6-8hrs any workout plans that you can suggest would be helpful.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    try starting strength
    strong lifts
    new rules of lifting
    strong curves

all great programs to get you started on lifting- for a complete newbie- so don't worry about not being strong enough.
  • McVeyMoon
    Options

sigh.

Being gorgeous doesn't mean you're healthy. And no one implied that she wasn't lovely. Seriously.

Yes- she's extremely lovely- but that doesn't mean her body is operating at an optimal weight.

let's rephrase this
    "I'm not trying to be rude but these people are tripping girl- you are gorgeous!!! who care if you are morbidly obese?! you look great!"

secondly- why is being good looking the ultimate goal?
    "I've reached hot status- I can stop doing what I'm doing to improve my life and make it the best life it can be"

I don't think she's in any danger at this point- but there is no question she's at the low end of healthy weight range for her height- I think she's gotten great advice on how to move forward and put on some healthy weight and develop some strength and I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out for her.

Like you said with me being at low end for my height, it doesn't leave much or any room for loss if i was to get sick and drop weight.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    How do you feel? Is your doctor concerned? People, especially women, will criticize you whether you are skinny, overweight, obese, or just right.

If YOU want to gain muscle you can despite your metabolism. Start with high calorie protein shakes and start lifting. I gorge on cheese when I'm bulking. It's an easy way to up your calories with little food.
  • McVeyMoon
    Options
    How do you feel? Is your doctor concerned? People, especially women, will criticize you whether you are skinny, overweight, obese, or just right.

If YOU want to gain muscle you can despite your metabolism. Start with high calorie protein shakes and start lifting. I gorge on cheese when I'm bulking. It's an easy way to up your calories with little food.
    My doctor has never seemed concerned. I am not in shape, that's more what my concern is more so than my actual weight. But when you keep hearing people say I'm too skinny its kinda hard not to start thinking i am.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I've been called too bulky and too skinny in the same sentence numerous times. People are ignorant. Maybe you are too skinny, FOR THEM! Tell them that your weight is none of their concern. If family is genuinely concerned, tell them your doctor is not, and leave it at that.