Starting again & making excuses

Options
I didnt log in on mfp for quite a few weeks, I've lost a couple of lbs and it shows. I feel terrible, i cant get motivated and i feel as though people notice it too which makes me feel even worse.
I have no eating issues but i work full time I'm a hair stylist, a mother to a 5 year old, a house to run and by the time I've done all that i feel as though i have nothing left and i make excuses to not work out...
Where do you all fit it in? Im finding it really hard. Also if any weight gainers would like to add me that would be great, i need inspiring!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i cant take credit for this quote, but its food for thought... :flowerforyou:

"Instead of saying 'I don't have time' try saying 'it's not a priority' and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your resume sweetie, because it's not a priority" "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, then that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently"
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The way I see it you have two options:

1) make time for the gym/exercise. This is what I had to do to motivate myself to go to the gym! I sit down at the start of every week and I book myself into classes at the gym around my work schedule. I love the group classes, but if you prefer working out on your own you could just write it in to your diary and then make sure you do it. (I did this over the summer when I was walking a lot outside, I got up early on a Sunday and went up a local hill - I loved it!) Arranging to meet a friend works too beause it motivates you both to turn up.

2) If you genuinely don't have time, and/or have childcare issues, you can build a certain amount of exercise into your routine. Can you walkor cycle to work? If not, can you get off the bus early or park the car further away? What about taking your 5 year old to the park? You can both have fun while running around playing games or tag - or even just going for a walk around the block with your kid(s). Just being more active counts towards your exercise goals, but a cheap pedomoter and start building more steps into your day.

It's a case of trying lots of different things and finding what works for you - good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

"Instead of saying 'I don't have time' try saying 'it's not a priority' and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your resume sweetie, because it's not a priority" "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, then that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently"

this.
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Personaly i just think. "I dont want to" "Boring" etc.

But theres this other voice saying "You have to" "Just get it over with"
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    There is always time.

It's like money. I always say I never have any. But if I stopped, just stopped and looked at where I spend, I would see that I do have money for this and that, I just misspend it and don't budget it.

Find where you are misspending time and start to budget it in. It's the same thing. I can watch two episodes of star trek voyager and kill 1 hour and 20 minutes that I could have used to clean the bathroom or do the laundry.

It's there, you just have to be creative and find it.

Also, I noticed that someone said something above about language. The first thing I would do is take "weight gainer" off your profile. It's negative and it just feeds failure. Change your language, your thoughts and you can change your life.
  • melissamarie2196
    melissamarie2196 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey, Iam going to add you, seems we have a lot alike, I to find it so hard...I think its right we just gotta make the time, Iam just going to try and get at least acouple real good walks in a week..Hang in there..
  • Lyndonbearsmommy
    Lyndonbearsmommy Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I don't have the time either; or I suppose, make it a priority. I have a full time job, 3 children, and I house to take care of. Working out is the last thing on that list. I try to walk on my lunch or breaks, but if I'm busy at work or have errands to run, I don't get to do that either. It's difficult getting everything accomplished.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options

Now that is a excellent way of putting things, that has just given me a new perspective on things....thank you
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    I too, am trying to gain weight currently. As crazy as it may sound this can be just as difficult as losing to a highly active/busy person.
    Don't be afraid to use sweets and other high calorie foods in order to meet your caloric needs.
  • zoemchristopher
    zoemchristopher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi all thanks for the replies, well ive managed to do 2 work outs, im really not motivated though... Managed it before work 6am, seems to go down better than after when im shattered lol
    You are right though, about it being a priority. I need to change my way of thinking and i do now realise i waste alot of time...
  • smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try something you will like. Try Zumba if you like to dance, Les Mills if you like kickboxing, T25 if you like jacks, squats and push ups. I used to go on aerobics classes and hated it! Eventually I just threw money away and stopped going. Then there was a class of Latino Aerobic. Loved it and missed it when it wasn't scheduled.

Key is doing what you like and it will be much easier. You will even look forward working out and miss it on a rest days. You can find a lot videos on youtube so try some. I am sure you have 25 minutes per day to spare. That's all you need.

P.s.: feel free to add me if you want ;)
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You don't HAVE to excercise, just eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.

If you're buzy and on your feet all day anyway that's excercise..

I cycle to work and back, have a manual job and eat at a deficit, works for me!.