slimfast diet

Options
Started today with a strawberry replacement bar it tasted horrid.Milkshake for dinner then normal meal in evening.Anybody else done this diet.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    no, but synthetic strawberry flavours are often horrible - it's a kids flavour.
  • JenniDaisy
    JenniDaisy Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat the box the bars come in. Atleast I'd save myself some sugar :laugh:
  • wissabear
    wissabear Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago. I could only handle the chocolate and mocha flavor. Both the vanilla and strawberry are gross.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Yeah, back in the 80's when I was just a kitten and didn't even need to lose a pound. I like real food way better. Since you are here using this site why not just count your calories in real food? No need to torture yourself with sugar flavored cardboard. I think there is a recipe board you can troll for ideas. Lots of the folks here have good feedback.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi, why not just try and do what most of us do and eat a sensible amount of food based upon the values MFP gives you.

I've tried most things over the years and I am loving MFP.

Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Every time I've tried it, I've ended up feeling sick after a couple weeks. I think the shakes are yummy but they're not exactly filling, at least to me. Real food within a calorie goal works much better IMHO
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Have you read the label for those shakes? Lots of nasty stuff in there. Why not create your calorie deficit using actual yummy food instead?

SlimFastImage1.png
  • Peanutmanak47
    Peanutmanak47 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo what a few people have said in here and say that you should ditch that diet and work on just eating properly. Just ask yourself is this something that I'm going to be able to do for the rest of my life? When you reach your goal weight are you going to be able to stay at your goal weight for the rest of your life utilizing a Slim Fast diet? Probably not. Best to just eat smarter. Fruits, veggies, good cuts of meat, smaller portions.
  • barty52
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice started today with a boiled egg and brown toast having a shake for dinner.It is hard trying to find a balance with food,i think all bodies are different and needs especially when you are in your fifties and wooried about your bones and joints.So I try to have calcium fruit and veg and fibre.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    i currently use slimfast shakes as meal replacement to fuel me for gym sessions.
    don't like or need anything heavy on my stomach to swim.
    previously i used asda/ superdrug own brand shakes mixed with either milk/ water and lost about 2 stone.
    i wouldnt recommend it as FULL menu replacement but it definitely helps me on my overall weight loss/diet journey.
    fr sent so you can view my diary if you like.
    do what feels right for you.
    g luck.
  • ButterflyEl
    ButterflyEl Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Haha I tried slimfast and just ended up eating meals and the drinks at the same time! I put a lot of weight on!

They're so full of sugar they make you really hungry. They're not worth the money or time in my opinion.
  • stevenlcopeland
    stevenlcopeland Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Instead of Slimfast, you may want to try other protein shakes. There are tons out there and I find they work quite well . Look for the ones that are low in carbs and high in protein. They do work and I myself is 53 years old and this weight loss/maintaining weight thing is quite easy with an appropriate high protein low carb diet plus exercise. The exercise will provide the sculpting you are looking for. Good luck and feel free to add me if you would like.
  • on2016
    on2016 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this post is long winded, but I've done the slimfast route before (and also the Atkins route), so wanted to see if my experience might help out in your decision.

The first time I lost a lot of weight, it was a through a combination of slimfast products (I mixed the powder into shakes and yogurts) and a LOT of exercise. You can lose the weight quickly, but the problem is KEEPING it off.

I just found out about myfitnesspal.com in August of this year and have found out that tracking my calories and exercise are the BEST way to get results that will last (I'm eating real food and not starving myself).

I actually had purchased some SlimFast shakes to use as part of my current weight loss process. However, after I had one and entered it into my daily food diary, I realized just how bad they actually are. These things are actually loaded with sugar and a bunch of other stuff that I couldn't pronounce. I promptly tossed the rest of them. Seriously, there were like 2 or 3 types of sugar as the main ingredients in these things. I could have had a nice sandwich (deli sliced turkey and 2 slices of bread) for the same amount of calories.

OH, and do NOT starve yourself with one of those 1200 calorie diets. Plug in realistic values into myfitnesspal, and go with a slow weight loss (maybe a pound a week), and make healthy food choices.

The original settings have worked great for me, but my wife had to readjust her settings on here so that she had some realistic values for her daily calories. She also had to put in realistic numbers for how much exercise she would do per week, and for how long (20 minutes for 5 days a week is fine, this isn't a race).

Long story short, since we've started tracking, we're both losing weight (10+ pounds for her, 20 for me so far) in just over a month. We both get to eat real food. We're not using diet products, just making better food choices. We still get to eat crap if we want (Pizza Hut for instance), but now it is in moderation, and we make sure to offset it with exercise.

Try the tracking instead of the diet shakes for a month. You'll probably find all types of things that you can eat, while not feeling hungry, and still losing weight.
  • on2016
    on2016 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice started today with a boiled egg and brown toast having a shake for dinner.It is hard trying to find a balance with food,i think all bodies are different and needs especially when you are in your fifties and wooried about your bones and joints.So I try to have calcium fruit and veg and fibre.

Sorry for not catching this before I posted.

If you are trying to monitor calcium and fiber, then you definitely want to track your foods.
    You can go into the settings menu and change it so that 'Calcium' and 'Fiber' are part of the 6 main categories that get displayed in your food diary. I need to track my Potassium and this feature has really come in handy (although for Potassium I have to research a lot of foods since it isn't always listed on food nutrition labels).

You can probably find a lot of resources for low impact diets on the forums here as well. I'm lucky that I get to walk a couple of miles to work every day so I get to start off each day with easy exercise. :happy:
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think they are around 200kcals a shake?, I make a smal tin of tuna, 2 tomatos and half an onion into a salad for work and it's not much more than that..
  • barty52
    Options
    started exercising slowly doing 15 mins aerobics then building up to 30 mins.Walking in the afternoon.Looking for better foods to eat and trying different foods.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    You're better off making a homemade shake; SlimFast is full of non-pronounceable ingredients, plus its a gimmicky weight loss tool that isn't sustainable in the long run.

It's really easy to make an inexpensive shake/smoothie at home that can be used as a 'meal replacement'. My smoothie that I've made in the mornings before keeps me full until lunch.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan and back when I tried it (late 80's/early 90's) I would get stomach cramps after about a week. In the long run they won't help you keep the weight off because eventually you'll have to eat real food again.

If you're looking for something quick and on-the-go there are plenty tastey protein shakes and meal replacement bars out there.

And as the other posters suggested, it's fairly easy to make a sandwich or a salad for the same amount of calories.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Slimfast is just a calorie control diet. If you don't like it, try eating the things you love, just less of them. I think Slimfast is kind of gross and it makes me miss real food.