Low carb.

Options
I have tried low calorie diets and it's not working, so I'm doing low carb. Does anyone do low carb. It's impossible to stay low carb and low calorie. I'm eating 18% carb 50% fat and 35% protein around 1700 to 2000 cals a day. Anyone have any input? Is this a good ratio? Does this fist work?

Replies

• ChloeHope2114
    ChloeHope2114 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 weeks into a modified keto diet. I try to stay below 41 grams of carbs and will lower this later on. I'm trying to increase my fats up to at least 72 percent. It's pretty easy once you get it down. I lost 3 pounds the first week and will weigh in again on Monday. However, I have lost a little over 4 inches (combined) in these 2 weeks. Feel free to add me!
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose fat you must consume fewer calories then you burn. That means being in a calorie deficit .
    Low carb is a way of eating many people enjoy ( including myself ) and it does help to control your appetite. However at the end of the day you must still eat at a calorie deficit to lose fat.

As far as your macro percentages go, those could work for you after you become keto adapted and the traditional method is 20 net carbs for 2 weeks and then slowly increase by a set amount after that.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like low carb, it seems to curb my cravings ..
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You will probably lose a lot of water weight for first week or so after going low carb, will look less bloated and skinny due to that. But if you wanna lose actual fat then it won't do anything unless you go in deficit.

I find it good for me because I have more energy on low carb. Also hunger goes away so it's easier to stay in calorie deficit. But as of actual fat loss I also have not noticed any changes from high carb.
  • Ginahbean81
    Options
    I tried 20 net a day and was shaking. I got scared and starting adding good carbs...I'm at 80 net a day. I read that you could still lose weight between 50 and 100 a day. I have a ton of energy and my mouth is always dry
  • Ginahbean81
    Options
    How can you can have low cals if your eating fat....my fattening foods have way more calories. I eat 1700 to 2000 a day. I still get hungry but not like I used to on high carb
  • Ginahbean81
    Options
    I guess I will lower my carbs. I eat nothing refined. I eat non starchy veggys and a half of a banana in my pumpkin smoothie. I don't want to buy fat free stuff because I need fat.so my calories I need to figure out how to eat 1400 a day and still stay low carb without being hungry
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 100g/per day for the last 7 months and have seen good results, which keeps me motivated. I've read about others that have had success doing more.... while others do much less. Whichever you decide, good luck!
  • randomworldgirl
    Options
    How can you can have low cals if your eating fat....my fattening foods have way more calories. I eat 1700 to 2000 a day. I still get hungry but not like I used to on high carb

I do 1,300 cals/per day and this is what my macros look like:
    Carbs 98g - 30%
    Fat 58g - 40%
    Protein 98g - 30%
  • randomworldgirl
    Options
    Oh and I just thought of something. A lot of days I go over my calories, but I don't worry about it as long as I stay under 100g of carbs and 120g of protein. I really don't focus on fat... however, I do try to keep my sugar under 35g per day. I really believe this helps curb my cravings.

Sorry for posting 3 times in a row :|
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

When you do low carb, you NEED to eat a high fat diet because the fat is where your body will get its energy from. Fats typically provide more than half of the body's energy needs.
  • stevejill91
    stevejill91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat 30-40 grams of carbs a day and about 150-200 grams of protien. I stay far away from all breads, I have rice oce in a while. I eat meat three times a day with lots of eggs and still stay under my 2400 cal intake. The crap food adds alot of empty calories. To loose weight you still have to eat. Eat to little and you wont loose weight, eat too much and it can also effect weight loss. You need enough protien and fat (dont cut those out) stay away from sugar. But even then there is more to it, weight loss hormones are released with intense exersise (once or twice a week) and moderate workouts the rest. Think simple, dont over complicate it. eat, move and lose. Once your body reaches an alkaline state (no sugars ect) you will loose cravings and some foods wont taste as good (candy ect) your energy will be more consistant. do eat carbs from lots of veggies (green and bright colored) remember fruit though good still has alot of sugar even if its fructose so I would limit those to a snack.

When you first start you may get shaky and gittery ect. this is normal cause you body like a crack addict is looking for the quick sugar fix to satisfy the energy drop. Once it gets past that all becomes normal again. Trust in it. Theres alot of good ideas and feedback out there and this may not be the best for you. ultimatly adjust you food by what you feel like after eating it. if you dont digest it well or are full hrs later maybe you should cut that food out (full not satisfied)
  • stevejill91
    Options

When you do low carb, you NEED to eat a high fat diet because the fat is where your body will get its energy from. Fats typically provide more than half of the body's energy needs.

Your body can convert protien to carbs when needed but not the other way around.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have tried low calorie diets and it's not working, so I'm doing low carb. Does anyone do low carb. It's impossible to stay low carb and low calorie. I'm eating 18% carb 50% fat and 35% protein around 1700 to 2000 cals a day. Anyone have any input? Is this a good ratio? Does this fist work?

If you want to loose weight you must eat fewer calories than you consume. Period.

I eat a very low carb die (keto) and keep my net carbs under 33 grams 90% of the time.

If your going to eat an ultra low carb you must increase your fat intake. My diet usually hits between 70 & 75% fats.

So I'm eating 1900 calories (usualy a few less) with 73% of those calories from fat.

I'm losing weight. Not because I eat low carb, but because I only eat 1900 calories.

My macro goals break down: 1900 Calories, 7% Carbs, 75% Fat, 18% Protein.
  • northbanu
    northbanu Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I guess I will lower my carbs. I eat nothing refined. I eat non starchy veggys and a half of a banana in my pumpkin smoothie. I don't want to buy fat free stuff because I need fat.so my calories I need to figure out how to eat 1400 a day and still stay low carb without being hungry

There is no NEED to lower your carbs. If you eat at a deficit you will loose weight. Ideally, you would eat well rounded healthful meals while doing it.

LOW CARB IS NOT A MIRACLE WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION.
  • KetoCrystal
    Options

Most people on a diet are trying to lose body fat - and that body fat can provide your energy needs. If you give the body all it requires from dietary fat to meet it's energy needs, what incentive does it have to tap into and burn body fat, the goal of any diet? There must be a deficit, and that deficit comes from playing around with fat grams. With a low carb/keto diet, set your carb limit, set your protein requirement, and set your calories for whatever deficit you want, and use fat to get to that calorie number. For example, I am eating ~ 1200 calories a day made up of 100 g protein (.9 g per lb LBM), 20 g carbs, and the rest is fat to 1200 calories (80 g fat). This ratio is roughly 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs. If I have a day when I feel the need for more calories, I eat more fat.
  • StriversNYC
    StriversNYC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    do 35/25/40 carbs fats proteins
    eat at a calorie deficit, there's nothing else to it.
  • Liftitmore
    Liftitmore Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Carbs come in two forms! complex which are good carbs and simple carbs known as sugar, I use the simple carbs or sugar carbs am only before workout time, this is what works for me 50% complex carbs this is where I get my fiber and nutrients, 15% simple carbs for energy 20% protein any more is wasted right down the toilet, I have personally tested this on myself and my daughter I had been told by a well know trainer that you needed 30% protein this was not true for us!!!, and 15% fat. Best wishes Tom
  • stevejill91
    Options
    do 35/25/40 carbs fats proteins
    eat at a calorie deficit, there's nothing else to it.
    You can not under eat a poor diet. Its a little more complicated than that.
  • ZeusJackson
    Options
    FITNESS ALERT: Who needs the lottery when you can use your own talents to make your own luck? If you want to use your skills to win real cash by competing with your peers, go take a look at www.PayPerGames.com. Like our Facebook and Twitter Pages. Push Up, Pull Up Competitions and iChallenges & lots more start September 22, 2014. We even have Academic Challenges for high school students. Registration is free.