Low carb...and vegan.

Options
I usually eat 60-80% of my calories from carbs. So, I'm definitely a pro-carb person. But, I want to switch it up and give low carb a try to try and speed up this weight loss a bit. The difficulty here is that I'm vegan (and no, that will not change), so I'm almost at a loss of how to do this. First of all, what do you all consider low carb? 20g-40g of carbs per day? Obviously those numbers are impossible for me to achieve on a vegan diet (I just started low carb today and made a lunch of broccoli, cauliflower, and tempeh and I'm already at 33g of carbs!). I was thinking about trying to stick with 100g of carbs a day..... So my question is, how many grams do you eat a day? I don't think there are many other vegans out there, but if there are, do you have any suggestions? Are oats ok to eat?

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Check out vegan boards. They tend to have really good advice and if you're Vegan because you're into the entire vegan thing (and not "eating vegan"), you'll feel right at home.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Check out vegan boards. They tend to have really good advice and if you're Vegan because you're into the entire vegan thing (and not "eating vegan"), you'll feel right at home.

Do we have vegan boards on here? I haven't seen them
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    So I'm not vegan, and I don't want to be one of those people chiming in on stuff they know nothing about....but....

I am diabetic and therefore also low carb. For me, it's not so much the amount of carbs, but how they are distributed. I'm at 100g/day, you may have to be higher from necessity. I have to split them so they're even throughout the day. 30 for breakfast lunch and dinner. The rest is for grazing/snacks. This keeps your blood sugar from spiking.

I also have to eat a protein with the carb.
    Net carbs are the important bit, so carb minus fibre = net carb. Your body processes the fibre different, so in effect, it offsets the carbness of the carb.

Just some food for thought even if I can't help you with the vegan part of it.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Baked seitan roast (3.8oz serving), 1 serving: 221(calories), 16g.(carbs), 30g(protein)
    Tofu
    Broccoli
    Kale
    Brussel sprouts
    Mushrooms
    (But you have to eat a lot of veggies to get a lot of protein)
    That fake meat stuff you buy at the grocery store

Nuts are high in fat, beans are high in carbs.
    It's not easy. I think that your diet would be very limited.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    If you are going low carbs...remember you will need to increase good fat intake.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I went temporarily vegetarian keto earlier in the summer due to an ulcer. I got my protein from tofu and veggie meats. You should give them a try. Also, veggie burgers are really good!