dry pasta measurement vs cooked pasta - barilla plus? help!

Options
Hi everyone!

So last night we had Barilla Plus Penne for dinner....i measured out one cup exactly of cooked pasta..one cup is 8 oz right! So when i entered it into MFP - turns out to be 840 calories....OMG! So i am thinking it must be a dry measurement. Does anyone know the correct answer for how much cooked pasta is per cup? I have researched a little on the web and found conflicting answers.
Thanks in advance for your help! I almost choked when I saw 840 come up on my food journal...arrrrrrgh!

:noway:

Replies

• nikkigiesige
    Options
    I think when you are reading 8 oz that is in weight??? 1 c of cooked noodles should not weigh that much...Im not positive, but i think thats what it is?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    You generally measure pasta before you cook it. I just weigh it dry on my food scale.

So if you are cooking for your family, try making your portion in a smaller pot. After you cook it, you can measure it if you want to see how much dry pasta = cooked pasta. Once you've done that a few times, you'll have a good estimate of how to translate dry to cooked measurements.
  • Asomething
    Asomething Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious about this too!!! The box's nutritional info lists the serving size as dry pasta, it's very annoying!!!
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i'm interested to see what people have to say on this as well. I've pretty much cut pasta off my menu because it has alot of calories.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Depending on the type of pasta, 2oz dry will generally give you about 1 cup cooked.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I have posted a few topics about this as well lol and what ive been told is that pasta doubles when you cook it. So for example 1/2 cup dry comes out to 1 cup cooked.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    2oz dry is about equivalent to 1/2 cup dry, which doubles to about 1 cup when cooked.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    A lot of pasta packets with the nutritional value will say something like 75g dry makes up 150g cooked. (This is an example and not an accurate measurement.) So if your weighing out cooked pasta, look on the pack to see how much dried would make that much.
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I got to test this out the other night-- I measured out 8oz dry angel hair pasta for my family of 4 and it was about 1c cooked per person.

And BTW I found this link if it helps any on different kinds of pasta shapes....

http://www.ilovepasta.org/cooking.html
  • ikeinmass
    ikeinmass Posts: 17
    Options
    Uncooked is the figure they give you on the box. Your weight will vary depending on how long you cook it (water absorption) and the type of pasta. Experiment a little and cook your serving separately a few times and you will know how much your pasta will net cooked.
  • smareeh
    smareeh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    2oz is about 1 cup. And that is with most pastas
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    You generally measure pasta before you cook it. I just weigh it dry on my food scale.

So if you are cooking for your family, try making your portion in a smaller pot. After you cook it, you can measure it if you want to see how much dry pasta = cooked pasta. Once you've done that a few times, you'll have a good estimate of how to translate dry to cooked measurements.

I'm going to try this next time cause I have always wondered myself.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options

Yup - if you really want to know for sure - measure out 2 oz. dry and cook it in a seperate pot. I did this and found that 2 oz of dry pasta, came to a heaping cup cooked for one pasta, and an even cup cooked for another type. I'd say in general (if you can't be more precise) 1 cup cooked = 2 oz dry - on average. But if you want to be more accurate, measure it dry and cook it seperate from the family pasta.
  • janetlove
    janetlove Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Here is what I found on the internet:

Calories in 1 Cup Cooked Pasta/Calories
    Pasta, Cannelloni /170
    Pasta, Gnocchi /175
    Pasta, Lasagne /180
    Pasta, Macaroni /170
    Pasta, Spaghetti /170
    Pasta, Spaghetti, whole wheat /165
    Pasta, Tagliatelle /185
    Pasta, Vermicelli/ 170
  • andrea777
    andrea777 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Here is what I found on the internet:

Calories in 1 Cup Cooked Pasta/Calories
    Pasta, Cannelloni /170
    Pasta, Gnocchi /175
    Pasta, Lasagne /180
    Pasta, Macaroni /170
    Pasta, Spaghetti /170
    Pasta, Spaghetti, whole wheat /165
    Pasta, Tagliatelle /185
    Pasta, Vermicelli/ 170
    thanks so much for this !!! :smile:
  • baldbeautiful
    Options
    I got a call back from Barilla' customer service. They said that 3/4 cup of dry pasta equals 2 ounces. They also said that 3/4 cup dry would cook up to 1 1/8 cups. I called asking specifically about whole grain rotinni but, can't imagine there's a lot of difference in the pasta varieties. Pasta nutritional info is pretty poor on the box regardless of the manufacturer. You can google dry to cooked conversions for some help too.
  • LilyBugsMommy
    LilyBugsMommy Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OK, the first thing to realise is that there is a difference between volume and weight. Unfortunately, in the US the system of measurements that is used makes it really so much harder to wrap one's head around it. I think it must make you guys (I'm originally European and have grown up with g and ml) really really good at arithmetic on the average. But it can be an obstacle to understanding.

One problem is that there are oz for weight and (fl) oz for volume. 1 oz = 28 g and 1 fl oz = 28 ml(*). As 1 ml of water weights approximately 1 g (very very close, depending on pressure and temperature), the two are equivalent for fluids like water.

However, pasta (dry or cooked) are very different from water!

A cup is a volume measure, and the same as 8 fl oz. So half a cup of water would be 4 fl oz which weigh 4 oz. But half a cup of dry pasta would be a LOT less.

Some say a portion of dry pasta is half a cup, but again that depends a lot on the shape of the pasta. Try measuring half a cup of dry spaghetti, especially the original extra-long ones! It's more precise to go by weight anyway, because whatever the shape, the same weight of the same type of pasta (same brand/variety) always would have the same number of calories whether you look at spaghetti, farfalle, rotini, fusili, penne, whatever.

So let's say a portion (a reasonable-sized one, though a lot less than I used to eat to be honest :blushing: ) is 56g (that is, 2 oz). That is, dry. Once you cook it, it'll *approximately* double in weight and volume, but that again depends on the shape and on how much water your specific type of noodle absorbes in the cooking process.

That's where the "1 cup cooked" comes from -- that's some middle-of-the-road value. To be honest, it's too imprecise for me, so I weigh my pasta. It'll be probably approximately 4 oz in weight (if it doubles from 2 oz). NOT 8 oz like a cup of water!

And I weigh dry, and again cooked when I use leftovers, using an approximate factor of 2 (1 portion = 2 oz dry = approx. 4 oz cooked).

(*) Or 30 ml for US fluid oz! There's also imperial fl oz, which are again different, but let's forget about the difference here.
  • sararivka1
    Options
    I came across this issue too when I first started being precise about how much pasta I ate. I would measure the pasta (dry) in 1/4 cup (which is 2 oz.) and couldn't believe how little it was. Then one day I decided to try weighing it and realized that 2 oz. of the rotini I was using was more like 3/4 cup dry. However, due to its shape, I'm sure elbows would fit in a smaller cup. Therefore, in regards to figuring out how much is a serving, it is better to weigh it, at least to start with. Then you will be able to figure out what size cup would accurately measure it in the future.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    If after you cooked it you ate a serving of one cup (roughlty the size of your fist) that should be approximately one serving size - and if memory serves, that's about 210 calories for Barilla Plus.