what does quinoa taste like?

Options
Angela4Health
Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
Just wondering, I picked some up from the store the other day because it's part of my Supreme 90 nutritional plan, to make quinoa salad, but I've never had it and was curious to know what it tastes like and learn some different ways of preparing it!

Replies

• irisannRN
    irisannRN Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump - I am wondering this too. Always wanted to try it !
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Bump, bump, bump. I've always wondered too, but I'm VERY stingy with my calories. I don't want to waste a single one on something gross.
  • michelca
    michelca Posts: 41
    Options
    The texture is similar to couscous, but it has a very subtle, nutty flavour. I prefer it to rice, especially with a stew, or a curry, or even in soups. You could also make a cold quinoa salad with various vegetables, and a light vinegar dressing.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa. It's like a nuttier version of cous cous, and is similar to cous cous/rice in the fact that it takes on whatever flavours you put with it.

Rinse the grains with cold water before cooking, and cook as per pack instructions (But it usually takes about 15-20 mins to boil).

I like:

Quinoa salad- made with a squirt of sundried tomato paste, some low fat feta cheese, chopped black olives, spring onions, tomatoes.

Quinoa stuffed peppers- cooked quinoa mixed with a little curry paste, chopped chicken/turkey breast, spring onions, tomatoes & chopped coriander (cilantro).

Quinoa and chilli- ground turkey chillli or 3 bean chilli.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    It's a little like brown rice... it has a nutty flavor. Here is one way I like to prepare it:

Put 1 Tbsp of olive oil into a saucepan. Add 1 cup of Westpac Ultimate Southwest Blend (or just combine onions, corn, black beans, red bell pepper and green bell pepper) and 3 tsp of minced garlic. Cook until onions are transparent. Add 3 cups of water, 1/2 tsp of cumin, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp chili powder, and 1 cup organic quinoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Stir and serve. Makes 4 servings, 1 cup each.

Each serving contains 229 calories, 37 carbs, 6g fat, 7 protein, 5 fiber, and 46 mg sodium.
  • rsmacfarlane
    rsmacfarlane Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My daughter loves quinoa! She actually like it at breakfast too...just make as the directions say, and once it is cooked she will add applesauce and cinnamon!
  • Choirgirl37
    Choirgirl37 Posts: 255
    Options
    Angela, it really depends on how it is prepared. When I had it, it was delicously prepared with EVOO, peppers, corn, and herbs. I cannot describe the taste. There is a whole thread here, somebody had a quinoa recipe contest! You should really check it out.
  • jae6704
    jae6704 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It is great but make sure you rinse it very well or else it is bitter.
  • trouserchili
    Options
    I love quinoa. It's like a nuttier version of cous cous, and is similar to cous cous/rice in the fact that it takes on whatever flavours you put with it.

+1

I like mine plain and simple. I just add a packet of chicken bouillon to the water during prep. Makes a very nice and flavorful side dish.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Give it a try, it's really quite yummy. As people said it's got a nutty flavour. Use it in place of rice or even pasta. I just boil it in chicken stock and will have it on the side of meat. My 3 year old son LOVES the stuff. Personally I don't like the smell it gives off while cooking but just ignore that.

It's nice cold with some veggies added to it and just a simple oil and vinegar dressing on it.

There are a couple of differnt types though. White, black and red. I like the red one a lot more than white and have yet to see the black kind. (I know about the 3 types because I got a book all about quinoa for Christmas).
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I second (or third) the suggestion to rinse the quinoa well. Really rinse it.

I usually make my quinoa in the rice cooker.... put 1 part rinsed quinoa in to two parts water and cook it. I usually make enough to have as a side dish for dinner (or whatever I'm making) and then extra for a salad for lunch the next day.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa!! It's probably my favorite grain. I use it in place of rice and pasta in a lot of dishes. I usually buy sprouted quinoa, so I don't rinse mine, but if I can't find sprouted I soak it for a minimum of one hour then rinse it before I cook it.