Why does eating breakfast make me hungry before lunch?

Hi, I am new to the site but have to say I am finding it to be a great resource.

One of my goals is to make a life style change and start eating breakfast. So for the last weak I have been enjoying a bowl of instant oatmeal in the morning before work. The problem is that now by 10:30 or 11:00am I'm starving.

I have a desk job in an open office setting so I really don't want to be crunching away on carrots or celery sticks to get me through until lunch. I welcome any suggestions.

Thanks,

Rick

15163134.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Try having a more protein-filled breakfast such as eggs or cottage cheese. They tend to keep you more full for longer than carbohydrates :)
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    I was going to say hard boiled egg, handful of almonds or light string cheese, seems to help me.
  • Protien will do the trick, Carbs are fast energy and your body burns it fast.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Breakfast gets your metabolism going, so that's why you get hungry. I like having eggs in the morning, it keeps me full longer. This morning I had shredded wheat and I'm hungry already & it's only been 2 hours, lol.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Four things work for me:

1. Take breakfast into work and eat it at 9 instead.
    2. More protein - eggs and toast, omelette or even a sandwich
    3. Planning your calories so you have a healthy snack mid-morning. I love carrot sticks dipped in hummus.
    4. Just getting used to it! I find I can wait until lunch now, but if I'm not fed by 12.30 you better watch out!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Bulk up your oatmeal. Add some nuts and make it with milk. Also add some chopped fruit for more fiber. Instant oatmeal has less fiber than other forms of oatmeal. Add some raisins, apples, berries, dried cranberries or some banana.
  • Unless you are eating the plain flavor, instant oatmeal tends to have a lot of sugar in it. It would make sense that your body experiences a sugar crash and you need more energy later in the morning. I dont know what time you eat the instant oatmeal, but i agree with the other commenter that a breakfast needs a little more protein unless you are able to have a small morning snack.
  • Also you could try making a shake for breakfast. mine is 1 banana, 2 cups of milk, 2 tbs of peanut butter, and maybe some protein powder if you want. Gets me right through lunch.
  • pratod
    pratod Posts: 68 Member
    you could bring a protein shake to work and sip on it in between breakfast and lunch
  • almomnc
    almomnc Posts: 68 Member
    I have to have protein. I tried granola and milk and I was starving within a few hours. I use egg substitue and not just egg whites. I'm new (read: weigh more) at this and can still use the calories from the whole egg. Cheese sticks or greek yogurt are also great snacks midmorning.
  • I can relate to this. I know when I skip breakfast, I am just not as hungry in the morning. The one I have something to eat, its like my hunger sensors wake up, and I am ready to eat again in an hour or so.

But since I am trying to be healthier and not skip meals, I am aiming for 5-6 smaller meals to keep me going. Problem for me is I am a grazer (and work from home most days) . . . so it often turns into one big meal. :)

I will say though that more protein (and less sugar/carbs) in the morning does help. I used to always have fruit with breakfast, or a greek yogurt with fruit, but I find the sugar spike makes me hungry too fast. Now I have turkey sausage and cherry tomatoes. It seems like a weird breakfast, but so far its been working pretty good.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    I never have breakfast, I was never a fan as a kid & used to throw a tantrum if I had to eat anything other than toast.
    Eating in the mornings makes me feel really ill, so I have my lunch at 10:45am everyday (normally a sandwich & veggies) then have a huge dinner later. I don't find myself feeling hungry throughout the day, but most breakfasts actually do make you more hungry.
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    like bawhite23 said, breakfast gets your body going. It's best to eat shortly after you wake up to get that boost. Choose a healthy mid morning snack to keep that metabolism up. Almonds and dried fruit or a piece of low fat string cheese and a handful of kashi crackers are favorites of mine.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    I work at a desk job in a cubicle and eat my breakfast here every weekday. Sounds like you need more food, and something less processed. As a previous person noted, instant oatmeal is usually loaded with sugar.

My breakfast is quick & easy & no problem to eat at my desk: 1/2 c. All Bran buds (great fibre), 3/4 c. plain, FF Greek yogurt (18 grams of protein) and a serving of fruit (berries, raisins, etc.). That keeps me full until my 10 a.m. snack, which I need to keep my blood sugar up at the gym (11 am 'til Noon).

Good luck!!
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    I love breakfast.... probably one of my favourite meals!

Carbs should generally be avoided in the mornings due to your body being more sensitive (insulin) to them.

I would generally have:

Eggs
    Bacon
    Smoked Salmon
    Coffee

Very rarely do I feel hungry before lunch at 1pm
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Hi. I just started MFP last week, but started my "healthy eating life style change" on Jan 3. I have ALWAYS had the same problem with eating breakfast - no matter what I eat, if I eat breakfast then I seem to be hungry all day. In the past two weeks, though, I've found that having 1/2 weight watchers bagel with four egg whites fills me up - I bring it to work and eat around 6 am. I've been drinking at least half 40 oz of water before lunch so that I'm NOT feeling the urge to eat. If I just can't help it, then I munch on a few of the peanuts I keep at my desk as my daily snack. It's working!!! The other thing that works for me is I wait until 8ish a.m. and I'll eat whatever vegetable I brough for my lunch - usually broccoli or cauliflower and/or an orange. I hope you find something that works for you ::happy:
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Basically, you are eating the wrong stuff if you want to stave off hunger pangs for more than 4 hours.

Sugar and starch, not a lot of good for long-term health.

Change it for protein and slow-release carbs, cut out the sugar.

Have you checked the sugar content of one sachet?
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Agree that instant oatmeal may be the culprit…try "quick" oats instead, esp. the steel cut or even a multi-grain blend. It tends to be a little heartier. Still microwavable…mine are ready in 2-3 minutes. Also bulk up the oatmeal by additions as suggested…I use frozen blueberries and nuke them along with the oatmeal so then their juicy goodness has exploded and melted in with the oatmeal. Agree also that the addition of good fats/protein may add to your satiety: nuts, eggs, lean meat (leftover chicken/turkey, turkey bacon), yogurt.

Also, if you are eating really early (like before 8am), I would expect you would be hungry at least 3-4 hours later…and appropriately so. So if you are eating at 7 am, you should plan for a 10 am snack…like 1 serving of any of the following: nuts, popcorn, string cheese, drinkable yogurt, fresh fruit, fiber/protein bar along with a huge glass of water. The nuts, popcorn, fiber/protein bars are "desk friendly" since they don't require refrigeration and can be consumed quickly and discreetly.
  • RickYahr
    RickYahr Posts: 47 Member
    wow thanks for all the advice. You guys Rock!
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    I usually have a couple of poached eggs on wholemeal toast :drinker: That usually sees me through to lunch time