how many miles in an acre???

Options
kingon8
kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
hey all, my yard is 1.5 acres, i am trying to figure out how many laps i would have to go around the edge of my yard to make it a 3 mile walk. can anyone help? there are calculators online however they give me a number like 0.0235678:noway:and that means absolutely nothing to me, any help??

Replies

• kingon8
    Options
    hey all, my yard is 1.5 acres, i am trying to figure out how many laps i would have to go around the edge of my yard to make it a 3 mile walk. can anyone help? there are calculators online however they give me a number like 0.0235678:noway:and that means absolutely nothing to me, any help??
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    is there a road that goes around your property because you could use a site like mapmyrun.com to determine how far around it is....
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    One acre is equal to 43560 square feet, one side is equal to 208.7 feet, so the perimeter would be 834.84 feet. Your 1.5 acre yard would have a perimeter of 1252.26 feet and there is 5280 feet in one mile so you would have to make approximately 13 laps around the perimeter of your yard to accomplish a 3 mile walk. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Can you drive around it in your car? It would be hard to say because acres are mesured in area, miles are distance. So driving would be more accurate.
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My answer would be A LOT :laugh: You could maybe invest in a pedometer, put it on, walk, keep track and go from there. If you did walk your property, be sure to change your direction so you don't put too much pressure on one side or the other. I used to do that (we have 3 acres) and got REALLY bored REALLY fast and got shin splints in one side from going the same direction.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    One acre is equal to 43560 square feet, one side is equal to 208.7 feet, so the perimeter would be 834.84 feet. Your 1.5 acre yard would have a perimeter of 1252.26 feet and there is 5280 feet in one mile so you would have to make approximately 13 laps around the perimeter of your yard to accomplish a 3 mile walk. Hope this helps. :bigsmile:

yeah what she said:huh:
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options

WOW!!!! :huh: lol
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    alternatively you could buy one of these,

http://www.engineersupply.com/keson-road-runner-measuring-wheel-rr112.aspx

it will measure the exact distance for you.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Let's assume that the 208 feet per side is accurate. A push mower makes a 24" (2 ft.) path. It takes 104 passes of 208 ft to complete the job, assuming cutting one path, tuning around and cutting in the other direction. So, 104 * 208 = 21632 / 5280 = 4.1 miles roughly. But then again, i was a music major in college.
  • kingon8
    Options
    thanks everyone for the responses, the 13 lap sounds pretty acurate to me, i had a walk mapped down the road from my house 1.5 miles there and 1.5 back but i have a 1 year old who needs a nap, and a 3 year old so it would be much better if i could get that walk in on my yard, and my 3 year old could run around me. thanks again!!!:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Thank GOD for teachers!!:happy:
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread. I have over 1.5 acres but less than 2. My house faces a busy highway so walking down that road to get to the country side road is impossible with two big dogs. But we all need the exercise. I thought if I did a few laps everytime I took the dogs out it might amount to something. They go out at least 6 or more times a day. My treadmill bit the dust so I need an alternative while I repaired it. I am sure the dogs will love it!!!