Manual Scale vs Digital Scale

Options
On Saturday I stepped on a Manual scale & it said 185 lbs but the day before that I stepped on a digital scale at the gym and it said 180 lbs how do I know the accurate one, Because I know I couldn't have gained 5lbs in a day I hardly even ate anything that day anyway lol

Replies

• Pawsntails
    Pawsntails Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'd just choose which scale u have most access to and use that one. That way even if you pick the one threat gives a wrong weight it should hopefully give it consistently. hope that makes sense
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    All scales are different, so only go by the one you use all the time. I prefer digital because it shows ounces, and seems more accurate. I've had many manual scales be way off, even by as much as 15 pounds. The digital scales always seems to be right.
  • cbrister07
    cbrister07 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'd go by the scale that I use most of the time. I was away this weekend and used a friends scale, it showed a 6 pound loss (I only wish). They were both digital but I guess scales can just vary that way. Hard to believe how much though.
  • howeclectic
    howeclectic Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Who knows. Id pick a scale and stick with it. Its the trend that matters and how you look. so.. if you stay with the same scale... it will likely be accurate that you lose say 5 pounds. The exact number might not be dead on... but ask yourself if it really matters.
  • tiggergrrl23
    tiggergrrl23 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In my experience, I usually find digital to be more accurate. Plus, I also prefer it because it tells you ounces as well. I have weighed myself on two different digital scales and home and got the same weight and that same day gone to the doctor and had them use a manual one and it told me I weighed 6 lbs more than both digital scales at home. It also depends on the time of day you are weighing yourself, plus what you are wearing, but try to be consistent. Weigh yourself the same time of day, wearing approximately the same thing and use the scale that you will have regular access to and leave the other one alone. I hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I don't know. But the manual scale at my doctor's office always adds 2-3 pounds. It's a conspiracy, I tell you!
  • looloo99
    looloo99 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have 3 scales in my house. Before you call my obsessive, let me explain! :) 1 is just a basic digital scale that I bought years ago that doesn't really work well that I need to throw away. 2 is the Wii Fit board, and 3 is a fancy smancy scale that measures everything that my husband, a wrestling coach, uses during wrestling season to weigh the team. I go by the fancy smancy one, because I get a different number from all 3! Scales vary, pick one and stick with it.
  • amanda52488
    amanda52488 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have both but use the digital scale. I was just thinking this morning how annoying it is that depending on how and where you are standing on the digital scale your weight can vary more than a pound!!

Anyone else have this problem?
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I have both types of scales.
    But I prefer to use the digital ones, the manual scales seem to fluctuate a lot in weight difference everytime I step on them. I'd say stick with one type of scale and use that. :)
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    As others say, you should probably use the scale you have the most access to.

However, at the gym, you can check the scale by putting a 45 on it.
  • nbruner
    nbruner Posts: 1
    Options
    Unless you have a really nice analog scale, I'd go with the digital one. If you have a cheap analog scale (that uses a spring for instance, it can tend to gain more inaccuracy at higher levels. We have an analog scale that does pretty well at less than 60 pounds, but when you get up into the 150 and higher range, it is off by 5-7 pounds or so! The digital scales might be off a little, but they should more accurately measure differences in weight than a spring scale. HTH.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP I had an old manual scale...I decided that it was time for a new scale and with my new digital one the 1st weigh in BAM 10 lbs heavier!!! I was not happy, but then my husband had a Dr. appt. and his weight was the same at the Dr.'s as our new scale so I sucked it up and changed my weight on here...I am 3 lbs away from being where my manual scale told me I was(month in a half later)...I almost feel like I have to get to that weight to really start losing because I thought I was already there!
    Digital all the way....manual ones can loose their 0 spot over time and get all messed up like my old one did.
  • crazywifewczx
    crazywifewczx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have found that all scale no matter which on i use can very by as much as 5 pounds depending on how you stand on them. If you put most of your weight in your toes you get a heavier reading and if you put most of your weight on your heals you get a lighter reading and on a manual scale if you stand with your feet far apart or close together you get different readings by as much as half a Kg. I have a dial bathroom scale that says i'm usually 5 pounds heavier than the manual scale at the gym and the digital one i use at my moms house when ever i visit. But i am sticking with the manual scale at the gym because it is usually the same time when i'm there and the same clothes most of the time.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have both but use the digital scale. I was just thinking this morning how annoying it is that depending on how and where you are standing on the digital scale your weight can vary more than a pound!!

Anyone else have this problem?

Ugh! I have this problem as well! I have found that if I stand closer to the edge of the scale, I get a lower weight...haha. Today, my scale said anywhere from 124.6 (which I KNOW is not true) up to 125.8. What the heck!? Grr...

Anyways, I use a digital scale...I don't care what other scales say, I just go by the one that's in my bathroom because I use it daily!
  • howudix
    howudix Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Digital definitely have taken over in terms of easy to use. Just get a high quality one from ScalesGalore.com or somewhere.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Manual scales can usually be calibrated, whereas household digital scales rarely have that ability.
  • checkmatekingtwo
    checkmatekingtwo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why just two choices? I'm not sure what you mean by "manual" scale - do you mean a spring scale or a balance scale?

I have a balance scale (like you see in the doctor's office) and a digital scale that I never use. The digital always gave me a different weight depending on where I stood. I only use the balance scale, which is easy to calibrate, so I feel fairly confident about the weight. Plus, there's something very rewarding about seeing that balance weight move down week to week!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    Here's a different perspective, in two parts:

1. We don't have a "true weight". Discard that whole idea. We have a current weight range, and a long term weight trend.

Body weight fluctuates with a day or between days for many reasons. One is increased digestive system contents at one time vs. another (not necessarily more calories - maybe just more high-fiber food on its way through the system). It's not fat. A second is water weight, in two forms. Guess what? Drink two cups of water, you'll gain a pound. It's not fat.

Beyond that, your body holds onto water weight internally beyond the stomach/bladder kind of thing. It needs extra water to repair muscles you used in your workouts, or to digest/metabolize extra carbs or sodium (even if it's a perfectly healthy amount of either one, within your calories). Pre-menopausal womens' body weight tends to fluctuate by several pounds through a full menstrual cycle, because of hormonal influences on water weight (the exact timing and amount can be individual). None of that is fat.

So, your weight goes up and down within a day or between a few days for these reasons, and it isn't fat. It's part of being healthy. Why would you worry about it? Think of your current weight as a few pounds' range.

If you're trying to gain, lose or maintain weight, what really matters is fat loss or muscle gain. Those are all very long-term things.

Fat loss can be pretty speedy, but shouldn't be too speedy. Someone under 200 pounds (ish) shouldn't be losing more than 2 pounds a week, and some over 200 shouldn't either (if close to goal), if they value their health. (We can only metabolize a certain amount of stored fat daily, and losing more will risk losing lean tissue, among other possible problems). Two pounds (or less) isn't going to show up as a loss of a few ounces every single day, because the larger day to day fluctuations (see above) mask it.

So, fat loss is going to show up in our long-term weight trend as a difference from week to week, or even month to month (remember that hormonal point above?). If you graph your weight loss (I did) you get a bumpily jagged line from day to day, but all those bumps are on a downward hillside. (Weight maintenance is a jagged but mostly horizontal line; weight gain is a jagged uphill slope. Jagged, bumpy, spiky, irregular. Not straight.)

Under perfect conditions, a weight-training woman might be able to gain a pound of muscle in a month. A man might be able to gain two pounds. It's slow, under the best conditions: Calorie surplus, well-designed aggressive and progressive training program, consistency, plenty of protein, relative youth. Muscle gain will show up on the scale, at best, over several months. Otherwise, it, too, can be masked by daily fluctuations.

Restating the point again: We don't have a "true weight". We have a current weight range, and a long term weight trend.

So, what you want from a body weight scale is consistency, so you can look at the long-term trend over time, and see whether it's heading in the direction you want. Accuracy (as long as it's in the ballpark) is much less important than consistency. Either a digital or analog, electronic or mechanical scale can be consistent. Use the same one every time as your "official record". Don't expect others to agree, even at the same moment.

Using a weight trending app to graph your weight can be helpful, too. (Happy Scale for iOS, Libra for Android, Trendweight, etc.).

2. Weight can fluctuate 5 pounds in a day without any significant fat gain going on. At least mine can, and I'm a post-menopausal li'l ol' lady who's 5'5" and at a body weight in the 130s. ;)

If you didn't eat roughly 17,500 calories above your maintenance calories, you didn't gain 5 pounds of fat. Don't worry about it. :)