IUS MIRENA COIL - WEIGHT GAIN

Options
Ladies,

I want to know if any of you have or have had the IUS Mirena Coil fitted and if so has it made you gain weight OR do you beleiv this is making it difficult for you to lose weight?

As I have no need for any contraception I am considering in having mine removed as I truly believe this has been the cause of my initial weight gain.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Nikki

Replies

• emaggied
    emaggied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've got one - put on a stone and a half. But, whether that's because I was living a chaotic life with three kids under four, or because of the coil, dunno.

But, there are a number of women at our school gate who are SURE they put on weight and were unable to lose it until they got the wee bit of barbed wire out...

Am getting mine out next month. If I don't immediately lose a stone and a half I shall be rather cross!

Will be interested to see what others find, the science says there isn't a weight gain side effect - but my *kitten* says otherwise.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I had this put in a while ago, I didn't find any problems with the weight side of it, haven't gained any weight, but have had loads of break through bleeding and my hormones lately have been all over the place. Anyone feeling this way?!
  • traceycm1
    traceycm1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Will be interested to see what others find, the science says there isn't a weight gain side effect - but my *kitten* says otherwise.

The 20 pounds of flab I'm carrying in my stomach say otherwise too!
  • MamaVeronicaWorksOut
    MamaVeronicaWorksOut Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't have my Mirena any more, however when I *DID* have it, my side effects were:

Heavier periods
    Longer periods
    Ridiculous amount of acne
    Abdominal pain
    Constantly feeling bloated
    **Unable to lose weight!

I had been active prior to getting the Mirena, and did my hardest to stay active after it was placed. I was not AS active as before, but not horrible, either. I wasn't able to shed any weight. And after about a year, I did start gaining weight. (But that's also when laziness kicked in..)

My Mirena was place in July 2008, and I had it removed in October 2010.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I'm not fully sure of the differences between the two but I've had a IUD Mirena coil inserted to help with my heavy menstruation.

I've not noticed any weight gain but at first my periods were still all over the shop although they seem to have calmed down a bit although can still be quite heavy, I've had it for seven months so hopefully things will calm down soon. I'm still getting mid cycle cramps though and similar cramps from exercising.

No weight gain though, or if there was it would have been quite insignificant.

ETA - The weight loss shown on my ticker has been lost since having it inserted, I had it back in October and I started tracking my diet and weight this January.
  • OneLostSock
    Options
    I had gotten to target weight with slimming world. Stayed at target for a year and was continuing with classes. Then i had it fitted. and then things got worse - the gain was slight but 2 stone later, i finally gave up SW, had it removed and now fighting to get to target again - and blimmin heck, it is harder second time around!!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, the Mirena does not make you gain weight. What makes you gain weight with Mirena is that progesterone can stimulate appetitie, so women eat more....therefore causing weight gain. So if you are careful about what you are eating, it should be fine. Irregular bleeding is a very common side effect with Mirena, and it can last for several months. It is a side effect that a lot of women just have to get through, but once you do, periods generally get very light, and for a lot of women, disappear all together.
  • CherryIceGlitter
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks a million for the response. I have decided that at least whilst I am single and have no need for any kind of contraception I am going to go ahead and have it removed.

I must stress that as well as the weight gain I have become tired, my iron levels are low and my PMT is off the wall.. I swear I am borderline bipolar and thats not even said in jest!

I shall keep you all updated with how it goes over the next few months.

Still interested to hear other ladies experiences with this also xxx
  • dc_smile2002
    dc_smile2002 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had Mirena for one year. During that year I gained 18 pounds,had terrible mood swings, felt bloated all the time. After have Mirena removed my husband said "My wife is back". I was happpieeer, the mood swings were gone and I am finally starting to lose weight (SLOWLY). I higly recomend getting rid of that thing.
  • emaggied
    emaggied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ah, mood swings...

I saw my GP afer my husband had been secretly tracking my cazy behaviour to prove to me that there was a pattern to it (and not just that he was an *kitten* and it was All His Fault) Must admit, was quite embarrassed, I had no idea until he showed me the chart, I genuinely thought it was All His Fault.

GP stuck me on low dose fluoxetine (prozac) for three months, and winhin a fortnight I noticed a difference. I still have mood swings, but not as bad - I no longer think about smothering my husband in the night because it is All His Fault.

I now take it for the two weeks up to my period and off the other two weeks. Which was fine, until my periods went a bit skewy 6 months ago and there's now no pattern to them.
    I

I'vehad the coil for nearly 4 years, and it's been good in that I haven't fallen pregnant and haven't had to think about contraception. So, I wouldn't put anyone else off having one - but I'm not replacing it.

What to do instead though? Though, it turns out, behaving like a lunatic one week a month is quite effective contraception...!
  • jeanette3181
    jeanette3181 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just found this post, recently had coil fitted for heavy and irregular periods, noticed on forums that people have gained weight when coil was fitted. I needed to lose weight any way and so far been doing fitness pal for 50 days and so far has lost 11 pounds! Not sure if it would be easier or quicker to lose the weight if I didn't have the coil though, periods are still very irregular getting quite a bit of abdominal pain too but no way as heavy. They did find that I had an ovarian cyst before they put the coil in so awaiting on results of another scan to see if it is still there! Hoping things will settle down a bit more though.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I don't have the coil.. but I have the Mirena IUD, and I did gain weight after I got it, but it's hard to tell if it was because of the IUD or just that time in my life I was barely sleeping (was pledging a sorority), eating mostly takeout food, and also was around the age that every woman in my family has started to gain weight (I think that's when our metabolisms slow down as we hit age 20/21). AND I was drinking a lot... and not working out or caring about what I ate. So I really don't think it was the IUD's fault.

More importantly, since I've tried to eat healthy and exercise, I have had absolutely no trouble losing weight.

ETA: I have had no other side effects from my IUD and even better, I don't have a period while I'm on it! I do still have a week where I hve cravings/am more sensitive, but no menstruating. So it's literally the best thing I've ever done. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my IUD :)
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haven't really noticed any weight gain. Hard time losing but I think that's a bunch of other factors and not mirena.

This is the best BC I've ever been on. Had it nearly three years, only had spotting and periods for a few months after insertion. Now I get a day of super light spotting every few months.
  • aairs1
    aairs1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have had my mirena IUD for about 3 months. So far I love that I am not having a period, just a little spotting when I first had it placed. I am having trouble losing weight though. I am not sure if it is from the IUD or if it's something else. I just had my son 4 months ago so maybe it's just from having a baby.
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena in for longer than the usual span of 5 years - it was probably a little over six.... It diminished my extremely painful monthlies to nothing, and the one ovarian cyst they detected just dissipated. I think the lingering effects are making my 'ease' into menopause a bit smoother. I haven't had hot flashes or mood swings.
  • martinederry
    Options
    Hi ladies since having the mirena fitted
    I've have gained weight approx 1 stone .
    I feel bloated & my breasts are like I'm 6 months pregnant .
    I have disturbed sleep , mood swings and feel quite low .
    I'm so glad I found this forum as I thought it was just me.
    I'm going to have it removed as soon as I can !!!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I've had one for three years and have had no problem at all - I love it. I wish I had got it 10 years ago.

Sorry to hear others are having problems ):
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't buy that the only reason you gain weight is because the hormones stimulate your appetite. I gained 20 pounds after it was inserted on a healthy diet and exercise. I have since lost 18 of them, but it is harder than it ever was before to lose weight, a huge struggle! And it killed my sex drive. I am thinking about having it removed but there is really no hormone free alternative. So I need to keep it in until I decide if I'm ready for a tubal.
  • hezmummy
    hezmummy Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all, Im not a user of this site but have signed up just to offer some help, as your posts helped me decide to have the mirena coil removed 3 days ago. My background is...I am 32 and had coil put in 4 yrs ago after birth of my 2nd child. In honesty, I've loved it...I had no side effects, and didn't really notice a problem with losing weight for the first few years...I'm really quite active, watch what I eat (to a point!) and am fairly slim build. However the last year and a half I've really been struggling to maintain weight rather than lose....and when I say struggle....I've been eating 1500 calories or less a few days a week, living a VERY active life with at least one fairly intensive exercise session a week...and yet my weight has remained static or threatened to rise. it has never even occurred to me that mirena would have anything to do with it. However I've been thinking... right I have to get this sorted and lose a few pounds, so I started 30 day shred...have been doing it properly and eating well for 2 weeks, and NOTHING...weight exactly the same. I laughed out loud when I weighed myself on Tuesday, its just ridiculous. Anyway, don't know what made me Google mirena but I saw all the posts and thought I bet there's something in that, and was due to have it out anyway, so had it done on Thursday.

So get this, and remember that I have weighed 11st 2 for 1 + years....Friday morning 10 st 12. This morning 10 st 10.

Im guessing its water retention or something, well actually I have no idea at all, other than that I feel exactly the same as I did 3 days ago, no period yet, no other symptoms. And like I say, I loved the coil. But my word, I am gobsmacked as to the time and effort I have spent trying to lose weight, when I'm guessing my body just wouldn't let me when the coil was in.

Good luck all of the rest of you, and hope u figure out what's best for you...well aware one size doesn't fit all.

Godbless x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gained. BECAUSE OF THE MIRENA. I know this.
    I had it removed.
    Best decision I ever made.
    I don't believe it affects everyone the same, and I don't believe for a moment that the hormones stay "localized".