Weak Wrists when lifting heavy

I've been lifting for about a year and am pretty strong (at least compared to how I used to be). I still struggle holding heavy weights when doing bicep curls (or anything with a similar movement). I am strong enough to lift the weights but my wrists are weak and hurt incredibly after. Anybody have any ideas other than switching to a smaller weight? Would taping my wrists help? Are there any wraps or gloves that will help?

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    when developing wrist strength the best exercises to do would be to either grab a heavy bar and stand there with it with an underhand grip until you cant hold it any more, or hang on a pullup bar while squeezing with your hands... i had sub par wrist strength and i fixed it by doing some of these things, and if you dont deadlift you should start because that is what truely builds forearms and grip strength.

going back to your question about "smaller weight" or "straps" if you cannot do the weight with proper form because of the grip then you have to lower the weight. straps are good for pulling movements such as rows, pull-ups/downs, and deadlifts but dont use them all of the time because that is how you build grip strength without straps... however for exercises such as bicep curls it is completely unnecessary to use any type of straps just lower the weight and pre-fatigue the muscle doing rows or pullups in order to stimulate growth with lighter curling weight.
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm

The link here shows 4 basic exercises that'll help strengthen your wrists and forearms.

Wrist Curls, Reverse Wrist Curls, Wrist Rolls and Wrist Rotations.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    You know what strengthens grip and forearms like nothing else?

Deadlifts and bent over rows.

Farmer walk isn't a bad one either.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Are you saying that the area where your carpal bones are at, hurt? If that's the case a simple wrist strap will help some. I wouldn't tape it since you'll need to untighten the strap for the blood to flow through more freely. There are gloves that have a wrist strap too. Also, try not to let your hand bend up or down when your lifting. That will help too. An ice pack for a few minutes will help relieve the pain and some light massaging with your thumb can help a bit to.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    I've been lifting for about a year and am pretty strong (at least compared to how I used to be). I still struggle holding heavy weights when doing bicep curls (or anything with a similar movement). I am strong enough to lift the weights but my wrists are weak and hurt incredibly after. Anybody have any ideas other than switching to a smaller weight? Would taping my wrists help? Are there any wraps or gloves that will help?

How odd that your wrist strength hasn't improved with the lifting? I have weak wrists too, but I've found that the strength is improving with my weights increasing. You're going to need to do wrist strengthening exercises to help. I've had tendonitis really bad in both of my wrists, so I know just what is needed to strengthen them! LOL! Here's my wrist routine:
    1. Wall pushups (regular pushups would work too, if you're strong enough to do them): 3 hand positions, wide, shoulder width and thumbs and forefingers touching (making a diamond). Start with a set of 10 for each, and work upwards.
    2. With your palms facing down, and arms still, lift your hands. You can do this with or without dumbbells. Again, a set of 10, and work up.
    3. With your palms facing upward, and arms still, lift your hands. As with #2, with or without dumbbells, set of 10 work upward.
    4. Stretch those muscles doing a similar motion, only holding position where you feel the stretch (you may need to pull your hand back with your other hand).
    5. "Owl eyes" stretch. Make ok symbols with your hands, rotate up so they make a mask over your eyes, fingers pointing down, palms towards your face. Only go as far as you can without pain.

I did this daily for 3 months to get my wrists back into shape.

Please! If any of those exercises cause you pain, see your doctor!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Are you saying that the area where your carpal bones are at, hurt? If that's the case a simple wrist strap will help some. I wouldn't tape it since you'll need to untighten the strap for the blood to flow through more freely. There are gloves that have a wrist strap too. Also, try not to let your hand bend up or down when your lifting. That will help too. An ice pack for a few minutes will help relieve the pain and some light massaging with your thumb can help a bit to.

I agree try not to let your wrist bend. You should be able to see how much its extending. i have this problem as well and as long as I make sure my wrists do not over extend or strain too much its not that bad. A light massage afterwards and I am fine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Most people I see with "weak" wrists on curls, "break" their wrists on the the movement meaning they don't keep them straight through the movement, but let them flop down while trying to curl a weight up which puts tremendous pressure on the wrists. Make sure your form is right with lighter weight before proceeding onto heavier ones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • beabelieve
    beabelieve Posts: 112
    Most people I see with "weak" wrists on curls, "break" their wrists on the the movement meaning they don't keep them straight through the movement, but let them flop down while trying to curl a weight up which puts tremendous pressure on the wrists. Make sure your form is right with lighter weight before proceeding onto heavier ones.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

thats great advice.. im having some issues with my left wrist. My trainer told me to tuck in my thumb and it actually relieves the stress.