Intrinsic or Extrinsic............which are you?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
Intrinsic Motivation and Extrinsic Motivation with
Examples of Each Type of Motivation

Motivation is an important concept in psychology. It provides insight into why we may behave the way we do. Motivation is an internal process that reflects the desire to achieve certain goals. Motivation can be divided into two basic types: intrinsic motivation and extrinsic motivation

Intrinsic Motivation

Intrinsic motivation reflects the desire to do something because it is enjoyable. If we are intrinsically motivated, we would not be worried about external rewards such as praise or awards. If we are intrinsically motivated, the enjoyment we experience would be sufficient for us to want to perform the activity in the future.

Examples of Intrinsic Motivation

Writing short stories because you really enjoy writing them, reading a nonfiction book because you are curious about the topic, and playing chess because you enjoy effortful thinking are some intrinsic motivation examples.

Extrinsic Motivation

Extrinsic motivation reflects the desire to do something because of external rewards such as awards, money, and praise. People who are extrinsically motivated may not enjoy certain activities. They may only wish to engage in certain activities because they wish to receive some external reward.

Examples of Extrinsic Motivation

There are many possible extrinsic motivation examples. The writer who only writes poems to be submitted to poetry contests would be one example of extrinsic motivation. The person who dislikes sales but accepts a sales position because he or she desires to earn an above average salary is another example of extrinsic motivation. A third example of extrinsic motivation is selecting a major in college based on salary and prestige, rather than personal interest in the major.

The Possible Benefits of Intrinsic Motivation

Teachers may be very interested in fostering intrinsic movitation. If students are only interested in receiving grades or praise, and do not enjoy learning, then teaching may be very difficult. Students may not wish to think or apply their knowledge. They may only be concerned with what will be on the tests. In contrast, students who are intrinsically motivated may enjoy challenging work, and may think in greater depth about ideas. Teachers may be able to foster intrinsic motivation by having students work on projects that allow them to see how the information is relevant to their lives.
Supervisors may also be interested in ways to increase intrinsic motivation. The ideal employee may be one who is self-motivated and does not require constant supervision. Intrinsically motivated employees may be less likely to be late. They also may be more likely to excel at their jobs. It is possible that supervisors may increase intrinsic motivation by allowing employees to have greater autonomy, making the workplace fun, or encouraging creativity.

http://www.psychologyandsociety.com/motivation.html
From my personal experience, I've notice that clients that have intrinsic motivation do so much better after reaching goal than the ones who did it for extrinsic reasons. Most of my extrinsic clients were either doing it for a WEDDING, a VACATION, or an EVENT. After the goal was attained and the date passed, weight regain was normal.
My intrinsic clients did it for health, to be more active and to feel better and stronger. Consequently they are still achieving.

So have you defined why you are here on MFP and your actual motivation of being either intrinsic or extrinsic?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• genuinelyfrans
    Options
    Honestly, I think I started out as extrinsic because I wanted to look good for an upcoming trip but now I want to keep going because I enjoy exercising more and eating more healthy foods so I guess now I would characterized as intrinsic.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Very interesting point you make, Joe. I've started reading a lot about various life philosophys and I believe that a person needs to be centered foremost and then decide to be the best version of themselves they can be...strictly for their own sake and not in comparison to others.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Honestly, I think I started out as extrinsic because I wanted to look good for an upcoming trip but now I want to keep going because I enjoy exercising more and eating more healthy foods so I guess now I would characterized as intrinsic.
    Which is great since intrinsically motivated people do so much better in the long run when it comes to health. They are more proactive than reactive.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Very interesting point you make, Joe. I've started reading a lot about various life philosophys and I believe that a person needs to be centered foremost and then decide to be the best version of themselves they can be...strictly for their own sake and not in comparison to others.
    Most people don't really KNOW themselves and most of the time follow the lead of someone they trust, associate with or admire. Part of the reason I have a "I don't give a damn" attitude from what others think I do (especially when it comes to nutrition) is because I have balance with myself. Through much trial and error, I've learned that when I'm right with me, everything else seems to fall into place. That's why my motivational line is always "I like myself unconditionally".

IDEA Fitness member
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Interesting, and totally true.

Trying to determine where a goal of a race or ride would fit in.

Easier to do the training when that goal is in mind, and then easier to hold to good diet because you are "training".

Not as easy if not a planned goal like that.

Not doing it to make an impression on anyone, may not even tell others, nor explain amount of training. Doing it purely for yourself and enjoyment, PR, ect.

So is that In or Ex?
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm extrinsic...I feel driven by outside forces. And sure it's a choice I make to remain thin and fit so maybe I am a combo of the two.
    I want to look good for every single day though not just events...and I have primarily been the same size since 2001 (minus pregnancies). Also my main motivation is looks not health...
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Intrinsic

This is me...if i enjoy something I can continue on doing it and wouldn't mind not getting something in return.....if i don't enjoy doing something....i would gladly pay someone else to do it for me....and i wouldn't do it if i absolutely did not have to.

San :)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Interesting, and totally true.

Trying to determine where a goal of a race or ride would fit in.

Easier to do the training when that goal is in mind, and then easier to hold to good diet because you are "training".

Not as easy if not a planned goal like that.

Not doing it to make an impression on anyone, may not even tell others, nor explain amount of training. Doing it purely for yourself and enjoyment, PR, ect.

So is that In or Ex?
    Intrinsic. You do it for the joy and personal achievement.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'd say I'm extrinsic...I feel driven by outside forces. And sure it's a choice I make to remain thin and fit so maybe I am a combo of the two.
    I want to look good for every single day though not just events...and I have primarily been the same size since 2001 (minus pregnancies). Also my main motivation is looks not health...
    What I have noticed is that the majority of my female clients are extrinsic while the males are more intrinsic.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Intrinsic but its taken me many years to get here. And becoming intrinsic has given me balance, confidence and a general sense of well being. For me, I'm more comfortable.

Great topic!
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i am definitely intrinsic. like i am completely unmotivated by the opinions of others. which actually has caused me problems in my life and i think i'd be better served if i did care, at least a little. my husband, who is quite competitive, is a large part extrinsic. he will do something at work just because he'll receive praise for doing it. and praise from his bosses is very motivating for him on a long term scale and can have an effect on his performance significantly. i find i just can't bother to care if my bosses are happy with me or not. which is no one's best interest. so i think a nice middle ground would be a great place for most people to be to live a healthy life.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda situational. Like in terms of learning about my field (computing) I an Intrinsic. In terms of Boxing I think I'm Intrinsic. I have no intention of becoming a professional or want to even box itself, I just want to get better at the sport. When I do boxing I don't do it for the sake of weight-loss, I just do it because I enjoy it

But then there are other things like calories burned, eating better, jogging etc I'm kinda extrinsic. I jog or ride my stationary bike for calories burned. I eat better because I know it'll reflect on my weight-loss.

Very good topic. I guess the thing to learn from this is to steer our extrinsic personality towards Intrinsic? :o
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm kinda situational. Like in terms of learning about my field (computing) I an Intrinsic. In terms of Boxing I think I'm Intrinsic. I have no intention of becoming a professional or want to even box itself, I just want to get better at the sport. When I do boxing I don't do it for the sake of weight-loss, I just do it because I enjoy it

But then there are other things like calories burned, eating better, jogging etc I'm kinda extrinsic. I jog or ride my stationary bike for calories burned. I eat better because I know it'll reflect on my weight-loss.

Very good topic. I guess the thing to learn from this is to steer our extrinsic personality towards Intrinsic? :o
    Yep, that would be the goal.

IDEA Fitness member
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I do believe I am some of both, though primarily intrinsically motivated. I started making changes in my life to get healthy a little over a year ago. After growing up and living into my early thirties as an athletic and active man, I spent a couple years being lazy and unhealthy. I felt sick and tired all the time and knew things had to change. I have made changes in my life for me and because of me. At the same time, I do like that other people have noticed. I do like that friends and random acquaintances have noticed and said some really positive things. I have even noticed some younger women around the office and gym giving me looks. Those things make me feel good about myself and keep me pushing myself. I'd be making this journey in learning how to be healthy without the external motivators, but the hard days would be that much harder.
  • cellokitty91
    cellokitty91 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The older I get the more intrinsic I become with exercise. I love feeling stronger and faster, more so than the number on the scale. I feel silly when I think about how important that used to be to me. However, I will admit that having two sisters induces a bit of extrinsic motivation to working out. We all want to be the strongest/fastest; I think its still proactive though.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    The older I get the more intrinsic I become with exercise. I love feeling stronger and faster, more so than the number on the scale. I feel silly when I think about how important that used to be to me. However, I will admit that having two sisters induces a bit of extrinsic motivation to working out. We all want to be the strongest/fastest; I think its still proactive though.
    It's interesting that you brought that up because I have noticed that my "older" clients goals aren't that of "physique" goals, but that of health and something that they can do daily, where my "younger" clients specifically are trying to reach goals like lower body fat %, getting rid of the muffin top, getting six pack abs, etc.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    Good question.

I'm intrinsic when it comes to my activity. If I push to get extra steps or extra miles or faster time or lift more, it's because I am competing against myself alone. I know I'll never be a world class athlete but that's not the point.

With weight loss it's mixed. I have never been fit or thin and I just want to be that for once in my life. But I also want the recognition from others that I've done it.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    fantastic post. I started Extrinsic, but I quickly became Intrinsic :-)
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm very intrinsic. I may say stuff like I wanna be able to wear a cut off top but that's just something I've always liked the look of and never had the ability to confidantly do. I wanna be healthy and in better shape for me- outside stuff is nice but secondary at best.
    -Kimmy
  • chucksper
    chucksper Posts: 1
    Options
    Extrinsic--have been all my life with college, work, diet and exercise.