Anyone Slimfast?

Options
I have been having such a hard time losing weight I feel like I work my butt off but never see anything results wise because of calories I guess so ive decided Im going to do slimfast shakes twice a day and a meal. Has anyone has success. I just took my first shake and I am anxious to see some results. Its been good so far it keeps me full for a long time! That was another problem was I would be starving and have to eat something.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Did not work for me. I did this last year. I used the low carb SlimFast (the protein is much higher than the normal) to replace some meals and it was cheaper than the Myoplex protein drinks i was using. I would buy two cases a month online. I lost 3-5 pounds right away but never lost any more. Then I would take a break and immediately gain the 5 pounds back.

It's too bad. I did like them. The Chocolate Royale was tasty enough and had enough fiber where I wasn't hungry at all. But strangely enough I started losing more with bacon and eggs for breakfast than with a SlimFast.

Probably would still work as an occasionally sub for a missed meal, but I'm doing much much better this year by eating regular food
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is find a good protein powder and ditch the slimfast. I use Premier Nutrition or EAS CarbAdvantage and have for 7+ months (mainly just for breakfast) and have done really good with those and watching calories and carbs closely.

I think slimfast is overpriced and except for the low carb one has way too many sugars in it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Before MFP, I did. In a way I still do. I do chocolate milk (12 ounces or so) for post run/ride recovery. Slimfast, for all intents and purposes is glorified chocolate milk. If I do use it I use the high protein deal because it has less sugar than regular slim fast. . . but it's really not worth the cost (powder + milk).

Bonless / skinless chicken breast / chicken tenders is a much better deal for my purposes. Frozen ones take about 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink one 30 minutes before going out to eat. It helps me stay away from the bad foods a bit.
    I can't show up hungry or I will binge like a government mule.
  • keddabee
    keddabee Posts: 81
    Options
    I tried but played havoc with my IBS and I'm lactose Intolerant.

Just try find a good protein shake where theres low carb and high protein. Its the same thing but try and drink it mostly with water.. less calories that way :)
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I use a canned diet shake for a snack at times, but if a person really wants to learn to eat right and change their lifestyle, canned shakes for meal replacement doesn't get it. IMHO

If a person uses canned shakes, how are they going to know how/what to eat after they lose weight?

PS Safeway brand shakes taste much better than Slimfast to me.
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The Chocolate Royale tastes super delicious, but it never worked as a meal replacement for me. I do like that it is loaded with vitamins, so when I used it I didn't need a multivitamin. If you just want it for a vitamin loaded chocolate milk, I recommend it. If you want it for meal replacement, make something on your own. Also, the regular stuff is high in carbs and low in protein. I would suggest a whey powder instead so you always have ample protein in your diet. If that isn't your thing, get Del Monte No Sugar Added canned fruit. 140 calories for a whole can of fruit and it's waaaaaaaaaaay more filling than Slimfast.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i like the atkins creamy chocolate shake. slimfast is just gross to me.
    plus, they're only 3 carbs.
  • KeriLoy
    KeriLoy Posts: 23
    Options
    I have a few years ago and had a lot of success, lost 40 pounds in about three months....stopped and eventaually gained it all back. If I would have changed my eating habits before I wouldn't be here now. I'm not against it, especially when I'm in too big of a hurry to eat and need the calories :-) I say use in moderation.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE the Low Carb Slim Fast. SO MUCH BETTER FOR YOU than the regular Slim Fast shakes. I can't believe they can try to tell you a shake that has over 20 grams of sugar is good for you.

Anyway, I was very bummed when Sams Club stopped selling them in bulk.. I think they may have been discontinued? I used to drink one as a meal replacement everyday and lost around 15lbs in a matter of 2 months! (of course I modified my diet it many other ways and exercised too.. I cut out processed food and sugars and carbs.. ate lots of fruits and veggies and water) However I think they taste great and its a great RTG option. If you can find the Low Carb chocolate- buy it! :)

Just please steer clear of the sugar and carb count of the regular Slim Fasts. Drives me crazy that they pack in so much sugar!
  • tekeyla25
    tekeyla25 Posts: 84
    Options
    I dont know what any of this means when you all say slimfast is high in carbs can you tell me what that would mean to me. I never understood you want so much sugar and carbs and fat etc. To me its about calories and I think it would be foolproof if your counting your calories. I just dont understand alot of it. Im my situation I just like to eat healthy so my meal is ofcourse not mcdonalds its a chicken breast or turkey meal. Thanks for all the advice I have alot of learning to do. It seems after having my child my metabolism slowed down or something even with breastfeeding I was never losing all this weight like people say. I also dont know what the protein powder is for I always thought that would be to build muscles.
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    Why is it that people gain the weight back? I have no problem maintaining weight but a problem with losing weight
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Slimfast to gain weight....would just add it to meals. Overall, its over priced, I now have better quality supps...and shakes.
  • xalexxandrax
    xalexxandrax Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    2 of my uncles used it & lost massive weight. My grandma suggested it & i drink it ecery morning blended with ice sometimes a banana. Really cuts cravings .. chocolate cravings. Lol then i eat lunch & a light dinner such as 1/2 cup of soup or cereal. Haven't weighed myself but im pretty sure ive lost weight. The snacks atr amazing.
  • tekeyla25
    Options
    bump bump bump
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes, I use the low carb slimfast or the adkins chocolate shakes for either one or two meals a day. It's working for me. I have lost 22 pounds in the last 3 months or so.
  • noirnatural
    noirnatural Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have used it twice in my life that I can remember and only lose maybe 6lbs at the most each time, I now just use a protein powder or EAS carb advantage...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to drink coffee with 2% milk in it all day, take my multivitamin religiously, then eat that fabled sensible dinner. Cheaper, cuts my appetite more, and probably not any worse for me than a diet shake is.

Besides, when I did drink diet shakes, I liked Nestle Sweet Success better. Except the coffee flavored one. That one makes your pee smell like you've been eating dogfood. Or maybe it was SlimFast that had the coffee flavor. Either way, you should probably steer clear of that one.

Oh yeah, and I don't put sugar or artificial sweetners, flavors, or dyes in my coffee.
  • Jones1204
    Jones1204 Posts: 9
    Options
    I've heard of people loosing weight quickly on it, but as others have shared, they usually gain it back. However, the main concern I would have from what you mentioned is that you're talking about doing 2 shakes and one meal a day. The shakes are about 180 calories each so you're going to need to consume another 840 calories somewhere else throughout the day, and that's hard to do in one meal. :) I've never heard anyone recommend (safely) consumming fewer than 1200 calories a day, and even Slimfast recommends the 1200 level. Personally I would figure your BMR on this site to see what your body needs to function, calorie-wise. You also asked what it mattered about your sugars, and carbs... if those levels are too high, you can actually stall your weight loss efforts (or cause you to gain maybe), and too much sodium can cause you to retain water. The goal is to have a balanced diet... as best we can. Here is a link to an article I found where the Slimfast diet was reviewed: http://health.usnews.com/best-diet/slim-fast-diet/reviews

It was pretty decent all the way around, except in the area of heart health, in which it received terrible reviews, so in my opinion, that's enough reason to steer clear of it, other than for an occasional meal replacement. Best of luck to you!