Poop veins - shrimp

auroranflash
auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
I am a foodie. I love going out to eat on the weekend to new, exciting restaurants with my boyfriend. Living in Houston, there are several - We are not only known for our barbecue, fusion restaurants, and dives, but, since we are right on the Gulf Coast, we are also known for our seafood.

And nothing PISSES ME OFF more than going into a new restaurant, ordering some delicious-sounding shrimp dish on the menu - gumbo, maybe? - and finding ....

cleraningshrimp_550.jpg

It's just not okay, man. It's just not okay.

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    I am a foodie. I love going out to eat on the weekend to new, exciting restaurants with my boyfriend. Living in Houston, there are several - We are not only known for our barbecue, fusion restaurants, and dives, but, since we are right on the Gulf Coast, we are also known for our seafood.

And nothing PISSES ME OFF more than going into a new restaurant, ordering some delicious-sounding shrimp dish on the menu - gumbo, maybe? - and finding ....

cleraningshrimp_550.jpg

It's just not okay, man. It's just not okay.
    I'm sending that order back to the kitchen. And then going to a different restaurant to eat. That's just lazy kitchen staff....
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    UGH I KNOW! Same here.. I love shrimp but the Chinese place close to my house doesn't devein their shrimp! It's so upsetting! It really ruins the meal!
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Is *that* what those darks parts are? OMG, gonna puke...
  • auroranflash
    This has happened multiple times... in multiple restaurants! I figured at least at the mexican place, they would know better. But no. They used shrimp so small that they figured it would be too much of a bother. >_<
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Nope, they need to clean that up. It doesn't take any longer to do it right.
  • auroranflash
    I used to work at a Red Lobster, and one shift I worked prep line cause they were short staffed. Spent 3 hours cleaning out the poop shoots (as we called it) on a bunch of shrimp. There's no reason ANY restaurant should not have that taken care of, and yes I would send it back too!

Could you imagine getting the same thing with your rump roast from a cow or pig?!?!!?

Thank you for doing God's work. Sincerely, thank you.
  • Sockimobi
    "Deveining is the removal of the gastrointestinal tract of a shrimp, a common part of preparing them for human consumption. The digestive tract is a dark band running from the head to the tail of the animal, where the spine would be if they were vertebrates. In females, the reproductive canal is also in the same area."

:sick: :sick:
  • auroranflash
    "Deveining is the removal of the gastrointestinal tract of a shrimp, a common part of preparing them for human consumption. The digestive tract is a dark band running from the head to the tail of the animal, where the spine would be if they were vertebrates. In females, the reproductive canal is also in the same area."

That explains why one looked like it had salsa on it :bigsmile:
  • Sockimobi

That explains why one looked like it had salsa on it :bigsmile:

:sick: :cry: :sick: :cry:

I didn't know about this vein. My life is changed. Forever. :brokenheart:
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    This is purely a vanity issue for you. There is nothing harmful from leaving it in.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member
    I used to work at Red Lobster when I was younger too! That is some serious WRONG wtf I wouldn't have even taken that out to the table.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    This is purely a vanity issue for you. There is nothing harmful from leaving it in.

Not harmful but it can have a grainy unpleasant texture, which is no way to enjoy succulent shrimps!
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    It's not like real poop... it just isn't.
  • focus4fitness
    focus4fitness Posts: 551 Member

Not harmful but it can have a grainy unpleasant texture, which is no way to enjoy succulent shrimps!

QFT
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member

no, you won't die from it... but seriously, do you WANT to eat sandy digested stuff out of a shrimp's intestinal tract?

You're asking the guy who tears into a lobster's carapace to get ALL THE MEAT.

When it comes to shellfish, lady, all bets are off.

[edit]

Incidentally - DYK that an entire 1.5lb lobster is only 150 calories?? True fact!
  • Sockimobi

no, you won't die from it... but seriously, do you WANT to eat sandy digested stuff out of a shrimp's intestinal tract?

You're asking the guy who tears into a lobster's carapace to get ALL THE MEAT.

When it comes to shellfish, lady, all bets are off.

[edit]

Incidentally - DYK that an entire 1.5lb lobster is only 150 calories?? True fact!

Guess *kitten* doesn't have many cals then? ;)
  • auroranflash
    I love lobster, I still don't want to eat its poo.

I am not Andrew Zimmern. I don't go around eating cow intestines and pterodactyl balls for a living. Poop vein is still a big 'no' for me.
  • This is purely a vanity issue for you. There is nothing harmful from leaving it in.

It might not be harmful, but I think it tastes a little funny... and is definitely grainy. :/ no thanks....
  • I love lobster, I still don't want to eat its poo.

I am not Andrew Zimmern. I don't go around eating cow intestines and pterodactyl balls for a living. Poop vein is still a big 'no' for me.

So weird... he eats so much funky crap, but he started to gag and had to spit out spam!! WTF is that about?!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    LOL!!!!!

OMG. I learn something new everyday. Thank gosh.... I don't eat meat anymore. Blrghghhghdhgdh. :sick:
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 428 Member
    I'm really gonna barf. I didn't know what that was and I have eaten it before! Ugh!
  • auroranflash
    I love lobster, I still don't want to eat its poo.

So weird... he eats so much funky crap, but he started to gag and had to spit out spam!! WTF is that about?!

I dunno, but I remembered giggling about that. Really? He loves snapping turtle soup but can't deal with Hawaiian fried spam sammiches.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    andrew zimmern also thinks horchata is disgusting.....something is seriously wrong with his taste buds
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    NOT OKAY!!! I will stop eating it if I find something like that. GROSS!
  • I love lobster, I still don't want to eat its poo.

I dunno, but I remembered giggling about that. Really? He loves snapping turtle soup but can't deal with Hawaiian fried spam sammiches.

I *kitten* I N LOVE SPAMMMM!!! Oooo I could really go for some spam masubi right about... neeooowww :)
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    I'll add this to the list of reasons I don't eat seafood other than fish.