How important is the mental game in losing weight?

I know this post is too long. Many will bump. Not sure how I can make it shorter without getting the basic point across since this is a complex issue.

I've noticed that mindset is so important in weight loss for me. I noticed when I write about how bad I am feeling at the moment and then post it, it is generally not very productive. I find it is better if I admit those feelings right then and there to myself. But they don't have to be my reality and I say to myself nothing I can do about it now. Just move forward and make positive choices going forward. That tends to snap me out of any discouraging mindset.

The scale though can be a real tough one. Even after I think I am doing well and don't lose or even have a gain that can be harder to be get rid of. Again, there is nothing that can be done about that other than to evaluate whether I am doing something wrong or need to change something up. The key for me is to deal effectively with those negative thoughts. They can lead down the path of thinking “I’ll never lose this weight.”, “Here we go again”, or lots of other things that are taking that initial negative thought a step further.

I have found that I am much better off just letting the past go and when those additional “negative” thoughts come to me to tell myself that they are just thoughts and they are don’t have to be my reality.

I still have my bad days. I still have days when I let the “negative” thoughts win for awhile. However, if there is one thing I’ve learned the last few months and years is that I don’t have to listen to those thoughts and just go back on my program. I don’t try to force out those negative thoughts but instead try to think about the positives. Things like… I’ve already accomplished a lot. Better fitting clothes. Or just realizing I am happier when I am making positive food and exercise choices.

I’ve found that exercise is key for me. It is a huge stress reliever. I think it has so many positive side effects even on the mental side of things and can often snap me out of a negative thought pattern.

I think most people who are trying to lose weight discount the importance of the mental game. Many are not even aware of how their feelings are affecting their actions or have no idea how to deal with those feelings.

Fit people have no idea. Most of them think that overweight people are just making bad choices. They think it is just a matter of overweight people making better choices. I guess that might be about 30% of the problem. I think 70% of weight gain has to do with something going on mentally for that person. Food has become a drug of sorts to deal with something that is happening in their life or minds.

I’ve also noticed that overweight people tend to not like to discuss the mental part of weight loss. Let’s be honest, the true issues going on being weight gain often will require the help of a therapist to properly deal with what is going on. Those issues are so personal that no one really wants to discuss them in this type of forum. I think it is especially difficult for overweight men to deal with the mental game.

So, I’m just taking it day by day. The weight has not come off as fast as I would like. But it is coming off and I am enjoying the journey. I am excited about what the future holds for me and my evolving self.

Replies

• One's psychological health is just as, perhaps even more so to a degree, important as one's physical health.

If your body changes but your mindset does not, the odds of your physical being returning to less than satisfactory health, goes up. The old saying that mind, body and soul should be one, couldn't be more true. I have always struggled with body image, and have experienced both sides of the spectrum of major weight loss and major weight gain. I consider myself a recovered bulimic but certainly there are days where my ED really tests my inner strength. For me, I have had to go through counseling to help me with the psychological part. These days my health is much better but still falls short. Now that I am a parent, it's important to me to live healthy and be healthy, I want to be a positive example for my daughter.
  • oldbutnotover
    oldbutnotover Posts: 13 Member
    I agree. I had therapy to deal with my 'issues' and once I was able to do that I found a way healthier way to soothe myself and a way to love myself.