Sleep apnea - it is not a life sentence.

Options
Four and a half years ago I was diagnosed with sleep apnea. This is a condition that affects a number of people - many of whom are overweight.

For those that don't know sleep apnea is (simply) a condition where the sufferer stops, and then suddenly starts, breathing periodically through the night. In a little more detail as your apnea incident approaches, your throat muscles relax, you start excessively loud snoring, your heart slows right down and then you stop breathing then your brain triggers a partial wake up and your heart pounds back into action, throat muscles regain rigidity allowing air to pass and you start breathing again. To a degree everyone experiences some of this every night (the average person will have up to 5 apnea incidents in an hour) - my AHI (average hourly incidents) was at 67 when I was first diagnosed - this meant that my heart was slowing to around 20-30BPM and then speeding to around 180-200BPM more than once a minute for the entire night. I was waking with a sore throat from snoring, headaches from lack of oxygen, and tired and cranky from having less than 15 minutes of actual resting sleep over the course of the night. This translated into me becoming zombie-like around 2pm (actually sleeping at my desk some days) as well as elevating my blood pressure and increasing my reliance on caffeine and sugars to keep me (barely) functional. Of course the other side effect was absolutely no energy to exercise.

At the time I was diagnosed I was 117kg. My doctor told me with such a high AHI I would likely be on CPAP treatment for the rest of my life (CPAP is a positive pressure machine with a mask that you wear while sleeping to create an air splint and keep your airways open). While this was not something I wanted to hear the CPAP machine made a massive difference to my life - suddenly I had energy again ... no headaches or sore throats and although it was a pain to have to "mask up" each night I did so religiously.

Anyway to make a long story ...well its already long .... to avoid making it a novel .... today my doctor told me to TOSS AWAY MY CPAP BECAUSE I AM CURED !!!! He actually called in three other doctors to tell them how much weight I had lost and how it had changed my health (and life expectancy).

My BP is now at the low end of normal, cholesterol is normal, lung function is good, resting pulse rate is around 55-60 (down from 85-90) and I now do not need the CPAP again.

Thank you MFP and to all my friends and family who have supported me so far. I am so happy right now that I am fighting back tears (ok ...so take my man card away from me).

Replies

• girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wov! I am suffering from apnea - 15 times per min. I use the CPAP. It has helped me a LOT. But tell me, how did you cure your Apnea. What did you do? I am a still-sufferer.
  • girish_ph
    Options
    Sorry. Deleted Posr
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I lost 30+ kilograms which has enabled the muscles of my throat to stay open without the CPAP. Additionally I started exercising 6-7 days a week .... which has improved my lung function and had a multitude of other health benefits.

Reducing the fat around the neck area in particular will reduce the effects of apnea ...and in my case has put me back into the healthy non apnea (<3 AHI)
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    great story but sadly it is not the same for everyone, I have been on CPAP for 15 years and honestly i will say that i have had sleep apnea my whole life, I can remember as a little kid, snoring so loud then jerking awake, I honestly believe i will be on CPAP the rest of my life but at least I am alive.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've been on CPAP for 17 years, it's been a life saver for me and is essential for keeping me healthy. There are two types of apnea, the most common is caused by obesity and can be eliminated by losing weight and maintaining a healthy body fat composition. The other is related to the central nervous system and cannot be cured. It is critical that you know which you have, your physician can tell you.

If you have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, wear your CPAP without fail. Good sleep is essential to providing your body with the energy it needs to power you through the day without the assistance of massive amounts of carbs, sugar and caffine. Sleep deprivation drives cravings for these things and will pack on the pounds and increase the severity of your condition.

If you've lost a significant amount of weight, you may need to have another sleep study to have your pressure adjusted to your current weight. Sleep apnea is like any other disease, it has to be managed to ensure maximum benefit from the treatment. Best of luck to all, and sweet dreams!
  • girish_ph
    Options
    I feel able to dream of a life that is "CPAP free" after reading Driver's Posts. Thaks to Driver
  • phillipians413b
    Options
    Congratulations!! I too just came off of my CPAP machine about a month ago. I too wore it every single night because when I was first diagnosed had according to my doctor I had enlarged heart and possibly congestive heart failure starting from it. I will never forget as I was leaving the doctor's office to go get the machine he said "It killed Reggie White and it will kill you too" so i used my CPAP every single night and loved it, but as I starting losing weght it started getting uncomfortable so I would lower the pressure until and it would feel great and I would not jerk it off in the night and I kept lowering the setting by one until I was at my lowest setting and still could not stand it any more, of course my doctor told too that, I would know when it needed the pressure change. The CPAP machine is a lifesaver and I could not have acomplished what I have done without it but it is great not to be tied to it and I know you how happy you are. Again congratulations.
    By the way I was orginally told that due to the size of my passages that I would be on it for the rest of my life regardless of how much I weighed.
  • mdhsr
    Options
    2001 I lost 100 pounds. After about 40 pounds, I slept without my CPAP Slept great. Tried it for a week, GREAT then I used it one night and it was terrible. So that was the last time ever using my CPAP My doctor was NOT happy. I told him I lost 40+ pounds and everything was great. He requested, to entertain him, that I go through another sleep study. I passed with flying colors. He said I was the first to be cured.

OK, it will return if I forget to obtain 6 + hours sleep every night. After three nights of 3-5 hours sleep, it returns. I also do not sleep on my back

Yeah

I lost the 100 pounds without exercising. All changing my eating habits and a program called "I LOVE DIETING"
  • dedwardnoe
    Options
    I just had another follow-up sleep study and got my pressure lowered by 4. Hopefully one day I will be CPAP Free.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to mention that your CPAP mask is supposed to be replaced every 6 months. My mom was not told this, so she struggled with hers for almost a year before ordering a new one! The folks at the pharmacy were really surprised that no one told her that it should be replaced every 6 months and was covered under her insurance (Medicare).
  • gazz777au
    gazz777au Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    That is great news.

Keep your man card.

You earned it !
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    God Bless! That is wonderful! Enjoy sleeping without that darn mask! I was diagnosed about 2 yrs ago and using the machine has made a world of difference. I have had my air pressure lowered with weight loss but I am hoping with continued weight loss I will be free of that machine one day. Thanks for sharing.
  • sunnyshine1313
    sunnyshine1313 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    That is quite the accomplishment, I would be so proud if I were you. When starting this weight loss journey, I was tired ALL of the time, and was diagnosed with sleep apnea, a severe case of it and was put on CPAP. I still dislike putting it on every night, but if I don't I know it because I am exhausted and do not feel refreshed. When I was at the Dr. I asked if I lost the extra weight I carry around he said most likely I will have to wear it the rest of my life, I have always snored since I was a teen, and he indicated that the anatomy of my throat, etc. makes it so likely even if I do lose the weight I will still have to wear it. But I am hoping, like you, that if I lose the weight I can eventually "graduate" from using a CPAP. No matter what, I am so happy for you, that is such an amazing accomplishment! Cheers to no more CPAP! :flowerforyou:
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 2 1/2 years ago. I absolutely hated the CPAP and mask thing so I eventually just quit using it. Also, due to our different work and sleep schedules my wife and I weren't in the same bed more than twice per week which helped to sleep better without my snoring. About two months ago she realized that I no longer snore. As I lost weight my neck size went from over 19" inches to 15 1/2" inches. If your sleep apnea is not due to a nervous system issue or other structural problem in your throat, weight loss is the ultimate cure.
  • ArmyWifePagano
    ArmyWifePagano Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My Mom is around 291lbs. She's been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and Type 2 Diabetes. I am so fearful that one of these is going to take her from me. Her doctor and myself have told her of the dangerous side effects of both instances, but no matter what is said, it's like it's not "real" to her. She keeps going the same way she always has and that's not an option if she wants to be around for a long time [she's 54]. She has a 3 1/2 year old granddaughter [my daughter] that she loves to the moon and back and still...she continues the way she normally does. I'm going to show her your post about sleep apnea. Maybe you will help to save my Mom's life.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!