Does anyone wake up in the middle of the night and eat?

Options
I had a PERFECT diet yesterday! But, I woke up, half asleep, and ate like a pig! I actually ate 4 cupcakes at 3 a.m. this morning. RUINED MY DIET.

Does anyone do this and do you have any advice to stop?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    at my leanest I would wake up and eat a few tablespoons of peanut butter at like 3-4 AM. When you eat is not an issue really at all.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I usually don't but funny thing is last night I also woke up hungry! I had some peanut butter and cheese and was satisfied. Maybe you should try to eat a little more protein before bedtime? Do you usually stop eating at a certain time?
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    It may sounds silly but I have hypoglycemia and take a sleeping pill at night severe insomnia well anyway I have been known to have low blood sugars and I guess I realize it but don't remember waking up and walking to the kitchen but I will have chocolate on my face, I used to be a sleep walker but a sleep eater odd but it is true.
  • nola1020
    Options
    I used to get up in the middle of the night and eat a bowl of cereal. I wouldn't even realize it until the next morning when I saw the bowl in the sink. I was eating in my sleep! It lasted for months. Don't know why but it played havoc on my waistline.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this, but my sister has. It's an actual eating disorder...

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-related-eating-disorders
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    When I'm training I wake up two or three times in the night and eat. Usually it's a scoop of protein powder with some rolled oats. Nothing wrong with it as long as you're still within your calorie range.
  • mama4loca
    Options
    Yeah, I used to do hat- it was always leftovers from dinner...been sleeping sound lately so I don't get up. That used to ruin all the good I did during the day too! Frustrating
  • anexus323
    Options
    I usually don't but funny thing is last night I also woke up hungry! I had some peanut butter and cheese and was satisfied. Maybe you should try to eat a little more protein before bedtime? Do you usually stop eating at a certain time?

A protein shake before sleep would be perfect! I bet you my body is craving something. And yes, I usually stop eating around 6 or 7.
  • anexus323
    Options
    I used to get up in the middle of the night and eat a bowl of cereal. I wouldn't even realize it until the next morning when I saw the bowl in the sink. I was eating in my sleep! It lasted for months. Don't know why but it played havoc on my waistline.

Haha ok, I do have nights where I barely remember... or, like last night, I was in ZOMBIE mode. I remember but, vaguely.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Wow. I never heard of that one. I've always been fascinated that no matter how hungry I go to bed, it passes when I go to sleep and I wake up not as hungry as I was when I went to bed.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Timing of meals is not an issue, what your eating is..... If you have the calories available and are hitting your Macro's for that day then eat regardless of what time it is... I would suggest saving enough calories that you take a snack to bed with you (as long as you do not have acid reflux or a reason eating b4 bed would cause you problems) I am a diabetic and would wake at 3 with low blood sugar and stumble to the kitchen to get something in my stomach that didn't last long cause I started taking a nice size snack to bed every night (500 calorie range) and this curbed my 3 a.m. wake ups and never stopped my weight loss... best of Luck
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I've never done this, but sometimes I get really really hungry right before bed. Like...I wanna eat 3 burritos hungry. If I'm that hungry I try to drink water, tea, or have an apple. Or 3. :)
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    dont-feed-the-troll.jpg
  • Sheila4046
    Options
    Yes, i usually get up around 1 am and spread a teaspoon of peanut butter on a slice of wheat bread, that's does it for me.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Some times. DH does every night.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    Never in my life :noway:
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    Just did this today...woke up at 4 a.m. and had a bowl of oatmeal (with margarine in it, thus negating the healthiness of eating oatmeal). Then I watched a documentary about mummification...freaked me out and I didn't fall back asleep until 5:30! I would not recommend that combination of activities at that time.

Seriously though, I do this quite frequently. I'm not sure how to stop. If I wake up with a mad craving, I lie there for about 15 minutes and try to ride it out and fall back asleep. If I can't fall back asleep and can't stop thinking about it 15-20 minutes later, I'll just get up and eat it. :( Last night, I *kitten* you not, I actually woke up around 2 craving cookie dough and I almost got up and a made a little bowl of it. I rode it out and fell back asleep, and I actually DREAMED about freaking cookie dough. That's when I got up and satisfied my sugar craving with some buttery cinnamon oatmeal. You know that's sad when you dream about it. Yikes.
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep, sometimes when I let my dog out, I am tempted to swing by the kitchen and see what's going on in there :) I try to think, in my half sleep state, 'are you hungry' or just doing an old habit???
  • anexus323
    Options
    Just did this today...woke up at 4 a.m. and had a bowl of oatmeal (with margarine in it, thus negating the healthiness of eating oatmeal). Then I watched a documentary about mummification...freaked me out and I didn't fall back asleep until 5:30! I would not recommend that combination of activities at that time.

Seriously though, I do this quite frequently. I'm not sure how to stop. If I wake up with a mad craving, I lie there for about 15 minutes and try to ride it out and fall back asleep. If I can't fall back asleep and can't stop thinking about it 15-20 minutes later, I'll just get up and eat it. :( Last night, I *kitten* you not, I actually woke up around 2 craving cookie dough and I almost got up and a made a little bowl of it. I rode it out and fell back asleep, and I actually DREAMED about freaking cookie dough. That's when I got up and satisfied my sugar craving with some buttery cinnamon oatmeal. You know that's sad when you dream about it. Yikes.

That is so funny. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe we are missing something from our diet? I mean, our body uses a lot of resources while we sleep, maybe it is craving something we need and if we fulfil it during the day we won't suffer from this. My new thing is, I am going to have a big jug of water next to me and I am going to drink the water until I am full.
  • amculver1
    amculver1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump