Exercise & Hysterectomy Recovery

Options
I have just scheduled a hysterectomy and pelvic floor repair surgery for January 29, 2013. I exercise ALOT... at a minimum, I walk 6 - 8 miles a day or do 75 minutes of Vinyassa Yoga. I am concerned that I will never return to my current level of exercise after the surgery.

I would really appreciate anyone who has gone through a similar experience to share advice on recovery and exercise after a hysterectomy. (I'm scared:cry::cry: )

THANKS!!!

Replies

• TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I had my hysterectomy in 2004,long before I ever knew about MFP and before I ever exercised. Over the course of several years, I walked but didn't do anything else. In 2011, I started MFP and began running. I now run, elliptical, walk, zumba, etc 4-5 days a week . You will need to take 6 weeks to recover, then start out walking, but never fear -- you WILL get to exercise again!! The human body is an amazing machine!
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response... I have read so many bad things online about the recovery. You never know what to believe...
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Yadda,
    I had a hysterectomy (laparoscopically) a few years ago and was also worried about the recovery time. I've always been an avid hiker and I began taking progressively longer walks about two weeks after the procedure.
    Not sure what method they'll be using for your surgery, but listen to your doctor's advice. If he or she tells you to take it slow for a month or two, be patient--it's only the blink of an eye in the long-term scheme of things.
    But most importantly, realize that you WILL bounce back better than you had ever expected, because your health problems will have been resolved. You may also want to consider discussing the recovery period with your doctor and setting up prudent goals for yourself on a calendar. Fortunately, you're already active which will, no doubt, aid in your recovery. It's also great that your favorite workouts are non-jarring.
    Not only will you return to your current level, I highly suspect that you will very much exceed those levels! In addition to hiking, I'm an avid runner now at 50.
    Please don't be scared :) and think of how good it will be to have your problems resolved.
    Hang in there and best of luck! You will feel great in a short time.
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for that response... I am not having horrible symptoms, but I know that they will get worse with time and I want to have the surgery when I'm at my best. That's why I'm doing it now... I think things will go fine, but it is really scary!
  • diverdiza
    diverdiza Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I had a laparoscopic hysterecomy on 21/12/12.
    I feel "ridiculously good" - by which I mean everyone who see's me can't believe how good I look!
    But I also think I'm in the minority as far as how I'm feeling so I'm trying to be cautious.
    So far I have restricted myself to shortish walks (between 1.2 and 1 1/2 km at a time) but I'm getting ready to get back on the treadmill and speed it up.
    If you haven't been there already I suggest you visit hystersisters.com - loads of ladies there who have "been there done that".
    Good luck and feel free to friend or PM me if you like.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy years before I started working out so I can't speak too much on the exercise factor, but you will definitely need to take it easy for at least the first couple of weeks. Whether it is abdominal or laproscopic a hysterectomy is still major surgery, so you have to pace yourself accordingly. If you push yourself too hard too soon there's a chance your recovery won't go as smoothly.

Definitely talk to your doctor about your exercise goals, they can help you put together a timetable of what activities you can resume when.

I second the recommendation for hystersisters.com. That site was so helpful before, during, and after my surgery.

Even though 6-8 weeks may feel like years when you're recovering it's really a short period of time, and in the long run you will be able to get right back into your active lifestyle without missing a beat. Good luck.
  • Maryhy4
    Maryhy4 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yaddam thank you for your question on this subject and to all the wonderful replies you have gotten. I am in my 3rd week of recovery from my hysterectomy and bladder sling (plus a few other repairs) done 12/14/12. I have an appt to see my gyn in a few days and look forward to hearing what she has to say in regard to exercise. We have talked about it in the past prior to surgery and she was all for me getting back into my walking/jogging program, just didn't discuss how soon afterwards to begin.

Like another post above, I have had many people say how good I look since the surgery. I had been in a running program the past few years, trained for a half-marathon this last fall (walked/jogged the half K). I want to get out now and put in some miles but I also want to play it safe and wait until I get the thumbs up from my gyn doctor.
  • sicembears
    sicembears Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm about 4 months out of a hyster (davinci) and am doing well. The recovery was challenging, but it is nice to be free of the pre-hyster pain. Take recovery easy for the first few weeks in order to heal well the first time. I gradually began walking the 2nd week, though very slightly adding time each week. My body let me know if it was too much (with spotting and pain). A really good forum I found for post-op recovery was hystersisters.com. It also has a section for exercise where I found a lot of information. Eventually, you will be back to your regular routine, but know it takes time. Hope all goes well for you. The good thing is that because you're in good health to begin with, your recovery should go better :)