exercise and eating less. still not loosing weight

Options
So, as the subject says, im exercising and eating less but still not loosing weight. Im eating the amount ive been recommended to eat on here, i walk 80 mins a day ( to and from work) i also swim twice a week and go to body jam once a week but dont feel like im loosing weight. i can see it on my face but really want to start toning my thighs. going on holiday in october and it feels like its getting closer but im not getting anywhere!

does anyone have any ideas or tips that could help me?

thanks

Lynz

Replies

• pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    I feel yah - I struggled with the same problem for a long time before I finally broke down and incorporated some strength training, I like p90x and Jillian's 30 Day Shred, I followed Jillian's program but I just use the p90x for supplementation, but its made a HUGE difference in my body shape! =D

Good luck!
  • turtle080808
    Options
    Adding strength training will help a lot. Active muscle burns fat
  • elizabennett
    Options
    Me too! I have been following this program for about 7 weeks, totally exercising like doing 30 day shred and then spinning on a bike consistently, eating the right calories, fat, sodium, everything and I have gained 2 pounds. Yep, GAINED 2 POUNDS! What the heck? But I'm not even smaller. My pants are slowly getting tighter, even in my belly, which is where my weight comes off first. I do look more toned, naked, but no one but me and my hubby can see that. I get depressed every single morning when I get on the scale. I honestly do not know what to do anymore. I weighed less and was smaller when I ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    Alot of peeps on here face this problem, including me. You say your eating what is recommended, but not saying how many calories you are burning with your walks, etc. If your only eating, say, 1200 and then burning 500 with exercise, then your body is in starvation mode and you won't lose weight. You have have have to track calories burned too, and eat back up to the recommended intake of calories.
    hope that helps a little.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Try actually eating the calories! You're not fueling your body.

Here's a link that you all NEED to read...especially the 700 cals a day and not losing.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Try to up your calories you can change your goal on here and I did I started to lose a lb a week. even if it said goal to lose a lb a month. It works.
  • haberdasher1980
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Soda free for 3 months, healthy eating and working out 5 days a week for 31 days now and i have only lost 4 lbs. I am doing strength training and I can tell I am building muscle, but its still frustrating. You aren't alone, so just stick in there!
  • lil_lynz
    Options
    thanks for all your replies. im averaging around 1200 a day. and not eating the extra calories i gain from excercise which on a swimming or body jam day can be around 600. i never knew i had to eat these! so basically my body thinks im starving??? wow never realised how hard this dieting malarky could be!

what kind of exercise is classed as strenght training?
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Alot of people think they are eating healthy but are watching your portion sizes? Eating every 2 to 3 hours? Not eating enriched flour, sugar and bread? Are you getting enough protein? You should be eating 15 to 30 g of protein with every meal. I've lost 49 lbs since October following an actual food plan. You can view it at www.myfoodlovers.com.

It's taught me everything I need to know for life and the weight keeps dropping every week.

You should check it.

Christine
  • wildjoker81
    wildjoker81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    When you've been working out the same way your body gets used to it. Maybe when you first started walking to and from work you got your heartrate up a little. But your body adapted and now it probably stays pretty level. The stronger your body gets the harder you have to work to make up the difference sometimes. Maybe get a bike and ride to and from work, a hard bike session will change it up and your body will not know what to do with it.
  • wildjoker81
    wildjoker81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Find weight machines at the gym or certain workouts at home with a constant weight and high reps to tone muscle. Or you can do heavy weights and low reps if you wanna look like Ms Universe....
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Find weight machines at the gym or certain workouts at home with a constant weight and high reps to tone muscle. Or you can do heavy weights and low reps if you wanna look like Ms Universe....

She's a female...it's almost impossible for a woman to put on that type of muscle without being on some type of hormones or steroids. She would also have to be at them gym all day. Women just can't put on that type of muscle mass without some outside help.
  • nebulas
    nebulas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    eating small meals throughout the day can really help when combined with the strength training, diet and cardio.

eating smaller quantities but more often helps you feel fuller throughout the day (which becomes REALLY REALLY key when you have built a lot of muscle and are working out a lot) preventing any urge to snack on unhealthy foods. It also raises your metabolism.

drinking ice water rather then room temp water can also raise your metabolism. i don't do this, since I happen to hate ice water, but i know a lot of folks who are looking for every small amount of help do.

also, don't forget that as you build muscle you will gain a bit of weight some weeks. Muscle weights a lot more then fat. Everyone's body is different and some bodies (like mine) have schedules for when they gain and when they loose. For instance, I tend to weigh in weekly and noticed the following: I will stay the same and at times, though rarely gain some weight for about 2 weeks, especially right around my period. Sometimes I will loose a half pound but not often. About 1 week after my period I loose a good 3-5 pounds and that is my new weight until the end of the next 2-4 week cycle.
  • happyagain
    Options
    Thanks for the post! I've been feeling the same way. My husband has been telling me that I need to start doing strength training, but I haven't been listening...........but thanks to this post, I'm going to start! Good luck!
  • lil_lynz
    Options
    thing is i cant really afford to join a gym, which is why i chose walking and swimming. ive only really been on this healthy kick for around a month and half...so maybe im expecting too much too early?

ive def cut down on my portions which i know was a big problem for me.

typical day for me is

breakfast

porridge, skimmed milk and banana

lunch rivita, low fat spread and baby tomatos

dinner, fish or chicken with veg.

snacks more fruit, a low fat health bar and maybe a yoghurt and ive been trying to drink more water but dont ever manage 8...simply because i forget to drink that much!

i dont feel hungry by the end of the night so thats why im usually under my calories goal. should i be using them up by eating more fruit or something?
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    thing is i cant really afford to join a gym, which is why i chose walking and swimming. ive only really been on this healthy kick for around a month and half...so maybe im expecting too much too early?

ive def cut down on my portions which i know was a big problem for me.

typical day for me is

breakfast

porridge, skimmed milk and banana

lunch rivita, low fat spread and baby tomatos

dinner, fish or chicken with veg.

snacks more fruit, a low fat health bar and maybe a yoghurt and ive been trying to drink more water but dont ever manage 8...simply because i forget to drink that much!

i dont feel hungry by the end of the night so thats why im usually under my calories goal. should i be using them up by eating more fruit or something?

I don't use the gym either. I hike, use videos, and workout at home-all you need is a chair, weights, and a yoga sticky mat. There are tons of non-gym workouts...just google it.
    Your food seems okay...but not the best. Where are your whole grains? Is your food dairy available to be viewed? I'd love to take a look. Try to drink as much water as you can (I usually include my caffeine free herbal tea in with this). I have a glass that holds 32 ounces and I refil it at least twice while at work and then I just drink out of a regular 8 ounce glass at home. Also, I see you have no snacks...you need them to make your cal goal for the day. It's as simple a a pb & j sandwich or a string cheese and crackers. Remember to have a protein, a whole grain carb, and a fat at every meal-it will keep you fuller longer, add fiber, and you won't feel so sluggish.
  • Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • lil_lynz
    Options
    i snack on fruit, low fat/cal yogurts and low fat cereal bars.
    sometimes i think its lifestyle thing for me, i work 8-8 and the days im off i exercise in the morn and then im pooped for the rest of the day. also i struggle with working out whats healthy food as my favourite food is bad food! so dont know a whole lot about healthy stuff!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    i snack on fruit, low fat/cal yogurts and low fat cereal bars.
    sometimes i think its lifestyle thing for me, i work 8-8 and the days im off i exercise in the morn and then im pooped for the rest of the day. also i struggle with working out whats healthy food as my favourite food is bad food! so dont know a whole lot about healthy stuff!

Ha...the 12 hour days are the reason that I didn't go into the profession that I had trained for (police officer). I couldn't deal with that type of stress. I think it's bad enough that I work 9 hours. If you don't mind my asking...can you take a cooler to work and have it beside you thoughout the day? If so pack it full of the good stuff. There are a lot of people on this site that have their food diaries public, take a look around and see what appeals to you. The best thing I can tell you is to eat as close to natural as you can. Try to cut out the processed foods and fast food and you'll see a huge difference, not just weight-but your hair will be healthier, your skin will glow, nails will be stonger, less headaches, fewer digestion issues, better sleep...I could go on and on. Good luck.
  • lil_lynz
    Options
    thanks so much for all your suggestions TheMaidOfAstolat! Ill def take all that on board! If it helps my sleeping thats one thing that will be so good for me. had a bereavement end of last year and my sleeping is awful just now.

I can take a small cool box type of thing to work so thats a really good idea! will pack it full of fruit and veg.

Again thanks so much!