Cerazette Birth Control and Weight Gain

Options
Has anyone experienced weight gain while on this pill, or any others? The doctor told me it can cause water retention and increase appetite, but couldn't be to blame for a serious weight gain. yet so many people seem to have put on a lot of weight because of birth control. Since I started it just over a year ago I've gained nearly 30 lbs! So I'm trying to decide whether I should come off it and see if I can lose weight more easily. Any thoughts of advice?

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain weight because of birth control. You gained weight because you ate too much.
  • osuntwa1
    osuntwa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on cerazette for 18 months and while I gained weight, I don't think it was because of the pill :) I have managed to loose 30lbs and still stayed on it so I would say stay on it if it works well for you!
  • pookimonkey
    Options
    I was on it for a while, and I did hold more water than usual for me. I cut down on caffeine, no fizzy drinks and took HRi water tablets, which are herbal. If I ever needed to look less puffy for something, these three things usually helped!
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain weight because of birth control. You gained weight because you ate too much.

You don't mince words do you. I'm well aware that a pill cannot be solely responsible for making me gain weight...but thanks for your encouraging words. Next time maybe just say it in your head instead of inflicting your negative response on the world. Not helpful.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've had no weight problem with it, and the joy of zero period means no monthly fluctuations either!

Though some Pills may cause short-term water retention, there's no proof of longer term fat gain, but like every medicine, different people react differently. Here's an informative article on the subject:
    http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/birth-control-pills-weight-gain
  • stephaniekhani
    stephaniekhani Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've been on it for over a year now, previously on a different pill which was way worse for water retention.

Cerazette hasn't caused me to gain weight but has made it harder to lose weight (not to mention it's given me mood swings sometimes like whoah!).

All in all, it's a decent trade-off for not having a period, but you might have to work a bit harder to keep the weight off.
  • duckymoo
    Options
    I'm taking this as well, but I think most of the weight I've put on/kept on is due to diet, not the pill. I know what you mean about the mood swings though.
  • lizz2013
    lizz2013 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. It all confirms what I've been told about Cerazette in particular. I've heard many complaints about other pills, but if in general you can still lose weight on Cerazette then alls well :)
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I was on Cerazette for about 2 years. I hated it due to other side effects, such as erratic patterns. However, I lost a lot of weight whilst on this pill. When I started taking this pill, I wanted to lose weight, so I asked my doctor about the side effect of 'weight gain'.

The explanation that she gave me was - 'You cannot gain weight with this pill alone. Your hormones change and may cause you to gain weight because you feel the urge to keep eating or give into cravings. It's the same with the side effect of weight loss - you may lose all desire to eat'.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been on Cerazette for years. I didn't gain any of my weight because I was on it - I gained it because I ate far too much. People use it as an excuse.

I also lost 80 pounds whilst on Cerazette. Again, not because I was on cerazette, but because I sorted my life out.
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I was on it for two years and lost most of my weight during that time, didn't noticed increased appetite or anything. And like someone else mentioned, no periods either for me. Bit worrying at first and lots of money wasted on pregnancy tests lol.

I only stopped taking it as I am donating my eggs for my sisters IVF treatment. I was totally happy with it.
  • KatherineStar
    KatherineStar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi i haven't gained with cerazette but I did gain with depo provera
  • queenhiphop
    queenhiphop Posts: 286 Member
    Options
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options

Nice. Actually, I've recently gained from the pill and not changed anything. Water weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I never had issues with the pill, but I did on Mirena, big time. I was exercising and eating low-cal and healthy and gained 25 pounds that wouldn't come off.

Everyone is different and BC messes with your hormones, so it's totally possible. But it won't happen to everyone. (Plenty of women with Mirena don't gain like I did, for instance.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    How do you know that? Do you know what she was eating? How much exercise she was doing?
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

Never been on birth control..clearly, but I have been on meds that tend to stimulate diet or suppress my desire to remain active. Sure, it's still all my choice, but some meds can make fitness more of a challenge.
  • Freshstartingmyhealthylife
    Options
    I was on Cerazette all through my weightloss and still am on it. Managed to lose just over 4 stone and so far maintained, some people can get side affects which make them more hungry, however I *touch wood* have not had any.
  • sugarxmexsweet
    Options
    I've been on that same pill and nothing like that has happened to me.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

You don't mince words do you. I'm well aware that a pill cannot be solely responsible for making me gain weight...but thanks for your encouraging words. Next time maybe just say it in your head instead of inflicting your negative response on the world. Not helpful.

OK. What I'm saying is that women often blame birth control pills for "making them fat" when really it's just because they're eating more than they're burning. Going off the pill won't make you lose fat.