Joint pain

Options
I've been exercising about 5 times a week doing both cardio & strength training.
My last attempt of exercising back in the fall ended due to knee and joint pain in the bend of my legs. What can I do to relieve this pain so that I can continue exercising like I need to?

Thanks.

Replies

• sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You may want to try to add yoga to your routine if the high impact exercising is wearing down your body. I began a regular yoga practice after I injured my knee running. It was a little rough at first but now that I gained the flexibility I never have joint pain. I do Bikram yoga but you could try anything I guess!
  • sylvabelle89
    sylvabelle89 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks SlimEsq! I'll have to try to find a good yoga DVD
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,992 Member
    Options
    Swimming or biking.

As you lose weight, the pain should decrease - unless you have some injury. The extra weight is really hard on knees and hips.
  • Razbet
    Razbet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have major problems with my knees(they need to be replaced) My orthopedic doctor suggested water areobics, upper body strength training, and cycling
  • tlforgacs
    tlforgacs Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    5Nook, I take supplements made by a company called Isagenix. They are all natural/organic. They offer a joint supplement and an ointment that I swear by. As does my mother who gets relief from her arthritis discomfort by taking it. Take a look at it and let me know if you want more info. Good luck and continued success!!
  • james_parker
    Options
    I think you should try some home remedies to overcome from such joints pain.

1. Warm water shower can ease joint pain. One may also soak the affected joint in warm water with little bit of Epsom salt added to it. This gives much relief from pain in the joint and inflammation.

2. One may apply eucalyptus oil on the aching joint and after some time place a warm moist towel on the joint. This treatment fetches good results against pain and inflammation.

3. Performing hot and cold fomentations of the aching joint provides immediate relief from the ache.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I've had both of my knees replaced so I hear you!

I'd suggest working out in water - water aerobics, swimming laps, etc. Bicycling is good, and so is walking. If you're using a treadmill, opt for increasing the incline rather than your speed since the faster you go the more you pound and that's harder on your joints.

Keeps at it and work at keeping your mobility! The more weight you lose the better your knees will feel, and you'll be able to do more.
  • Tim_Simons
    Tim_Simons Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There are supplements that helps relieve joint pain and aid the formation of the muscles around your joints. These strengthens the muscles and offers greater support to the joint and give you greater control over your movements as you do your workout and exercises.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Do good warmups and good stretches, and put some ice on your knees right after exercise. A bag of frozen peas works best for knee icing :)

And see a doctor - if you have cartilage or ligament problems it'll be good to know sooner rather than later.