Eating before going to the gym?

Options
I am just wondering when i should be eating in the mornings.
I go to the gym at 8.30am, so when should i eat, and what should i eat for breakfast?

If i dont eat breakfast before going to the gym, i tend to feel lightheaded, but dont want to eat too close to going to the gym..any ideas what i should do?

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you feel lightheaded working out on an empty stomach- eat before you go. Try eating breakfast as soon as you get up, and then get ready, and head to the gym.

Alternatively, you could eat a snack shortly before working out, and have your full breakfast post-workout. It's whatever feels best for you.
  • claire30
    claire30 Posts: 153
    Options
    So if i have 1 piece of toast at 7.15am (an hour before going to the gym), that would be ok?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A toast or a toast and a piece of fruit would provide some carbs for your workout. Try it, and see how you feel.
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks BrendaLee, knew i could reply on someone on MFP to help me out..i LOVE it here!
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    fruit. eat a couple of bananas or apples. it makes all the difference. you will feel so much better! and it's fast and light so you wont feel heavy or take up too much time before you work out also your digestive system is just waking up so a couple pieces of fruit are easy on the system if you eat them right when you wake up.
  • mollydog33
    Options
    Hi,
    I asked the same question this week. I just joined a gym and couldn't quite figure the food...before of after.
    My swim instructor said a good rule is to eat carbs before going to gym. Eat protein after. Carbs provide energy for workouts and protein help muscles rebuild after workout. Sounds like a plan.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Great advice!! Carbs prior to and protein after. MILK (skim) is a great pre/post workout snack. Lightheadedness is a good sign that your sugar has dropped and protein keeps your sugar at a even level.
    It's not rocket science, your body gives you signals. Find what works best for you but by all means, don't be afraid to eat. I have to remind myself that all the time.
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    I would say have a piece of toast with PB on it an hour before because it's going to take that long to digest it. It's awsome and healthy because your going to need carbs to burn! There is nothing worse then a cramp during cardio! Make sure you drink water too! All though i really should practice what i preach! I didn't eat this moring before i went for a run and now i want to eat everything in sight!:wink:
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Def eat some carbs prior to going to the gym and proteins after. Wouldn't recommend peanut butter prior to gym, it's a protein source. Fruit, whole grain/whole wheat toast. If you eat anything large, wait at least an hour before working out. Keep it light - say 1 piece of fruit & 1 piece of toast - then just 20 or 30 min is all you need to wait. Then eat a regular breakfast afterward, preferrably with a lean protein, a complex carb, and low fat.
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    So if i have 1 piece of toast at 7.15am (an hour before going to the gym), that would be ok?

That probably wouldn't be enough, but you can give it a shot and see how you feel. If you eat just one piece of toast, you'll be hungry again in an hour. Or at least I would be! lol.
  • NinaMyers
    NinaMyers Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the gym, much prefer a swim..

However I HAVE to eat beforehand, otherwise the hunger I feel during the swim is hard to take.
    Carbs are best (I swim after work - so normally have a small to medium plate of pasta before I go).

When i get home, some tuna with a side salad is good, then i try to unwind.
    It's weird as my evening meal is almost split in two!

Obviously with your workout in the morning, you'll want some more "breakfast" style foods.

How about a bowl of porridge? Either that or some toast and fruit?
  • claire30
    Options
    Thanks for the help and advice you guys.
    This morning i had half a piece of toast with PB on it and i am not sure if it was just a fluke, but i felt much better and was able to work harder at the gym (not sure if it was the PB and toast, or just a coinsedence). I Know that half a piece isnt very much, but i hate eating so early in the morning!