Is it really that bad to eat half an hour before exercise?

Options
My schedule is tight, I get home from work, I'm hungry, so I eat dinner and then I have my les mills class half an hour after I eat.

Is this really bad to do? I hate exercising when I'm hungry because it's hard to focus.

Is it okay to keep eating dinner half an hour before a vigorous work out? I know I could instread have a light snack but then I'm hungry again lol. Thanks!

Replies

• Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there'll be a lot more informed posts coming in the next few minutes, but I feel as long as your body can handle it - ie you don't feel bloated or nauseas while exercising, you can eat whenever you want.

I mostly exercise in the early mornings before work, and have no problem eating breakfast half an hour before the workout. If I don't eat I tend to feel light headed and dizzy during the session.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Me, personally, no. I would throw up or get bad indigestion.
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    Depends on how big your meal is. I usually wait a minimum of 45 minutes after a decent sized meal. If you're hungry before a workout you could try to drink a protein shake or eat greek yogurt with some fresh fruit. You only have to wait like, 15 minutes after having an easily digestible protein like that before working out. Just found out what works for you. If you aren't cramping up or feeling sick after eating, waiting 30 mins, then working out, you're probably fine.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you eat, how much you eat, and the fat content. Many runners prefer "empty stomach; empty colon."
    A cheese Danish before a tough run is too heavy and would come up.
    Some people like something small and light like a piece of toast.
    Again it is individual differences. Find what works for you and use your own judgement.
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    Also, wanted to add in case you didn't already know; make sure you have an easily digestible protein and carb like, fruit within an hour after your workout. Also, wait 1 hour before you eat something that is not easily digestible, after your workout.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I've never heard you should wait an hr to eat. Why is that?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As long as it works for you and you're not suffering any adverse effects during your workout (nausea, indigestion, etc.), there's nothing wrong with it. Meal timing is irrelevant with regards to weight loss.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do it because I work better on an empty stomach. But I know some people that can't work out without eating first. To each their own as it doesn't matter in regards to working out or losing weight
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on if it upsets your stomach or not. I have a similar schedule and eat immediately after I get home, then workout and I've never had a problem, but I've heard that some people get an upset stomach. So if you feel fine, then don't worry.