It's probably unlikely I've gained 7lbs of muscle

Options
since January, right? I really started to crack down on exercise and nutrition at the beginning of the year. I work out 4-6 (usually 4) days a week doing different things - running, weight lifting, Insanity, etc to change it up. I track my calories and usually hit anywhere from 1400-1800 most days (maybe a little more, sometimes on more intense days, if I'm hungry, I don't force myself to starve). I would say 80-85% of the time I eat really healthy. Today for example:

-Ezekial bread with 2 eggs and uncured turkey bacon and a smear of avocado
-A larabar pre-workout
-Salad with avocado, grilled chicken, goat cheese, vinigarette dressing and strawberries
-Chobani yogurt
-Haven't eaten dinner but I know I'm having tilapia, usually always a side salad (I love salad - it will have arugula, carrots, some cheese, and cucumber), some sort of frozen veggie (green beans likely)
-I'll have almonds for dessert
-if I'm still hungry, I could potentially have a banana with almond butter (as you can see I like to plan)

This is pretty typical of weekdays. Every day is not perfect, but even on the weekends, I'm not splurging every meal - maybe one a week is "unhealthy". I barely drink alcohol. I drink a ton of water. I'm 25 years old, 138 lbs according to my scale this morning, and last time I got my body fat checked with a BODPOD 27% body fat. I'm 5'1" so I have way too many flabby areas you can grab with your hands than anyone should have. I'm not a bodybuilder chugging protein shakes, so I don't know if I can continue to hope that this weight gain is muscle. Any thoughts?

Replies

• sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    When is the last time you weighed yourself? Weight can fluctuate a lot in a day depending on many factors.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Yep... unless you're severely over weight, you cannot gain muscle eating at a deficit. Just doesn't work that way. You can tone via exercise, but you cannot BUILD muscle at a deficit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Ditch the scale. Get a mirror and maybe a tape measure, or a brutally honest friend that sees you naked once/month (my preferred approach).
  • marypatmccue
    Options
    Ditch the scale. Get a mirror and maybe a tape measure, or a brutally honest friend that sees you naked once/month (my preferred approach).

Hey girl heeyyyyyyy! :wink: :wink:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Do you like what you see??? Those dimples on my butt mean I'm smiling at you :)
  • marypatmccue
    Options

Do you like what you see??? Those dimples on my butt mean I'm smiling at you :)

mine is too!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    It would be incredible if you could gain 7 pounds of muscle in a YEAR. And as pps have said, you'd have to have a calorie surplus to do that (unless you're severely overweight).
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    So that's exactly my point.... WHY am I gaining weight then? Any ideas?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Fluid retention. Both from your exercise program for muscle repair as well as possible dietary related. Slight electrolyte imbalance? Taking too much sodium and not enough potassium?
  • hartmamp
    hartmamp Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just don't know. I am waiting for the BodPod to come back to my gym again, but it's really tough to watch the scale continually rise.
  • minsooky
    minsooky Posts: 59
    Options
    The scale may say you've gained weight for many reasons. It could be fluid retention. If you're not...uh..regular, well that may play a factor too. In some scenarios, perhaps you're eating too many calories -- but I really don't think that's the case here. Give it a few weeks, sometimes our bodies are just weird that way.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:

OP, there are people who believe you can gain muscle on a deficit while others don't.. I think part of your gain has to do with water retention in your muscles or body in general