See a dietitian!

Options
If you haven't been to a dietitian, and have been stuck at the same weight forever.
GO SEE ONE, HERE'S WHY I DID.

*I have been eating healthy.

*Been exercising daily.

*Cut out soda.

*Stopped eating after 9pm.

*Drank ALOT of water.

NO CHANGE.

I went to Mayo Clinic, saw the dietitian there and she gave me AMAZING advice.

First off:

Check into a book called Hardwired for Fitness by Robert Portman, & John Ivy

My dietitian said I may be eating the right foods but at the wrong times of the day, in about an hour of talking with her, she answered almost all my questions. She gave me an easy diet plan of 1800 calories which is perfect for my height/weight.

Breakfast: 1 egg over toast

Snack (optional): Yogurt with fruit

Lunch: Sandwich with turkey ham mustard and mayo, veggies

Snack (optional): Cottage cheese

Dinner: Spaghetti, veggies, salad

Snack (optional): Cottage cheese

This is just what I have been doing but she got this from the book she recommended I order. (got mine for $15.99 off amazon) It gives you options of foods to eat together so these are not the only choices above. To be honest, I am full after each of these meals, eat every 3-4 hours.

*** I've also been wearing my pedometer and have been TRYING to get in atleast 10,000 steps a day, so far I'm close to 7,000. (It's very hard! haha)

The best advice she gave me is:

EXERCISE IS DIFFERENT THAN DAILY ACTIVITY.

It's been about 4 days since i've stuck to this "diet plan"

I've lost about 3-4 pounds already.

I was eating most of the foods already on this sample diet sheet but at the wrong times of the day. I learned that your body needs the carbs in the morning to help burn fat during your exercise period. It's incredible the change i've seen just by eating the same foods I usually do but at different times.
ANOTHER IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER:

MANAGE WHAT YOU MEASURE.

I always believed you should only weigh yourself once a week otherwise mentally if you see a higher number on the scale you get un-motivated and discouraged.

The dietitian told me to weighh myself EVERYDAY, which i was skeptical about, until she explained why.

Most people who look at the scale don't realize that the higher number on the scale isn't your body fat that increased, its water weight.

Weigh yourself and ALWAYS add + or - 3 pounds to the number. Write it down EVERYDAY and don't compare yesterdays weight to todays, compare Mon-Mon, Tues-Tues, so on, on a weekly basis you'll see which days you gain on and which days you tend to lose on. Then focus on why this is.

If you haven't been to a dietitian, and have been stuck at the same weight forever.

GO SEE ONE. :)

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    So many things. *pulls on hard hat*
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    Really doesn't matter. Regardless of what she said. As long as you eat enough. How many calories were you eating before, and how many now? You were given a plan that has your carbs spread out through the entire day. What do you think pasta is? What do you think sandwich bread is? All she did is suggest a balanced day. dunno.gif...WeightWars is right. Imma hiding.

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I've changed my mind about being here. I wish you luck with this plan.
  • StoutGirl09
    StoutGirl09 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm just telling people that those who have been trying for so long, may not understand the way your body works and this woman really helped me out. If you have questions I recommend going to one. I understand she spread out the carbs throughout the day, and like i said in the post, the sample foods were choices that i chose. I was eating that many calories before but spread them out in a different way. For example before bed I would have bread and peanut butter or something small when instead I should have had that for a snack earlier in the day.

I'm sorry its long, I just wanted to help others out.

I have been trying to lose for years, maybe you learned easier than I have.

Just little tips I suppose, maybe someone will use them.
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    I know that combining certain food is a myth but what I'm saying is throughout the day your body needs different foods depending on what your doing, whether its food before or after a workout, some foods can help you push harder during a workout and then there are foods you should eat after a workout that can help heal your muscles.

It's just nice to understand your body.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    well fair enough :) You can get most of that info from here/reliable internet sources though. Sometimes it's easier to bite the bullet and talk to someone.
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    I've tried, I love MFP, I've just had no luck with weight loss until now.

The link you sent does help. I'm glad you posted it. The last sentence says

"A registered dietitian can help you find a realistic, flexible eating style that helps you feel and be your best."

That is exactly what's helped me. :)
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    Really doesn't matter. Regardless of what she said. As long as you eat enough. How many calories were you eating before, and how many now? You were given a plan that has your carbs spread out through the entire day. What do you think pasta is? What do you think sandwich bread is? All she did is suggest a balanced day. dunno.gif...WeightWars is right. Imma hiding.

The last part, all she did is suggest a balanced day.

Exactly, this is where I was lost. Losing weight doesn't come with a manual. Everyone is different.
  • StoutGirl09
    Options

I appreciate it, I understand where you all are coming from. I wish you continued progress with your plans.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

I appreciate it, I understand where you all are coming from. I wish you continued progress with your plans.

Just a little food for thought. I have been trying to lose weight for longer than you have been alive (sad, right?). I tried it all. I lost only to regain. You are at a place in your life to make the changes in a healthy way that will stick. Check out this site - it has truly been a life saver for me. I really do wish you luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • StoutGirl09
    Options

Just a little food for thought. I have been trying to lose weight for longer than you have been alive (sad, right?). I tried it all. I lost only to regain. You are at a place in your life to make the changes in a healthy way that will stick. Check out this site - it has truly been a life saver for me. I really do wish you luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I will thank you very much. College really got me, first 3 years, I've gained 30 pounds.
    I'm done feeling the way I do.
    Ha Freshman 15....ya....lets try 30+
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options

The last part, all she did is suggest a balanced day.

Exactly, this is where I was lost. Losing weight doesn't come with a manual. Everyone is different.

Good point! Seeing a Dietician is a great way to get good information.So is reading a book. Maybe several times. I'm glad you went and she was helpful to you. Many people may read your post and decide that is a great idea. A Dietitian is lots better than a Nutritionist, too.

I had issue with you saying that you had to eat certain types of foods at certain times of day: and if you do it right, you'll lose 3-4 lbs.. You could have eaten that fruit and yogurt at 11PM, gone to bed, and still lost the 3-4 lbs. And you didn't actually "lose" 3-4 lbs in four days of this miracle "eating plan". It wasn't the "bread with peanut butter before bed" that did you in.

Your statement that, "I was eating most of the foods already on this sample diet sheet but at the wrong times of the day. I learned that your body needs the carbs in the morning to help burn fat during your exercise period. It's incredible the change i've seen just by eating the same foods I usually do but at different times." is Just. Not. True.

And EXERCISE IS DIFFERENT THAN DAILY ACTIVITY. You didn't really explain that much. People here who are new, will have no idea what this means.

I'm glad you are happy with your four-day results. Good luck to you.
  • StoutGirl09
    Options
    It really is a learning process.

Some of the things I said, I should probably explain more, but I don't have the option to go back anymore.

I know the 3-4 pounds is probably water weight like I said, but it's nice to see it stay in the range it is.