Dear American friends in Boston and New York

Options
Hi there,

The Mr and I are 11 days away from the holiday we have been dreaming of for ages. A week in Boston followed by a week in New York. We are big MLB and NFL fans and I am exceptionally excited.

HOWEVER.

I would really appreciate some guidance and tips on what to eat and how I can keep an eye on my calorie limit. I know it is a holiday and I should have lots of fun, but I have really tried to change my attitude to how I eat and am very pleased with my progress so far. And I can't do a 2 week cheat/treat day!

I think I am getting into a bit of a panic as all my friends keep saying how different portion sizes are to the UK. Those on the MFP system, do you have any tips when eating out? Are there some places I should avoid? I know we won't be doing the fast food thing, more looking forward especially to the seafood Boston has to offer.

Like I said, any advice or tips are most welcome :-D

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are indeed larger in the US. Drinks especially, such as sodas, are enormous, as are the amounts of ice they will put in said glasses. DO NOT feel as though you must clean your plate. When indulging in seafood dishes, just use common sense. Most places will offer various cooking methods- fried, grilled, broiled, pan seared, etc. Grilled and broiled will be your best bets.

There isn't anywhere you need to avoid, just be aware the amount you are eating. Also, you are going to two cities that are very walkable. You should be able to burn some of those excess goodies off! I live between Boston and NYC (in Connecticut) and am certain you'll have a blast!
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    The only advice I have is to make sure you catch a game at Fenway. It is truly a life-making experience. Stay for the end. It's awesome.

Also, maybe a side drive up to Maine could provide some healthy options...lots of good healthy seafood if you stay away from butter and mayo.
  • nrbromert
    nrbromert Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any restaurant is going to have lighter healthier fare. the big thing that I do when eating out is paying attention to the sauces. We love to slather things with mayonnaise and high calorie sauces. The portion size is much bigger here. I think the easiest thing to do is to realize that at many restaurants you are served at least two servings of everything, so if you can just think about it that way it makes a huge difference.
  • edleim
    edleim Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You will spend a lot of your time walking- which helps. While traveling I feel breakfast and lunch can be the most difficult because you are more likely to "just grab something". I would start the day right and healthy every day as a rule. Allow yourself a bagel and cream cheese since come on it's NY, but don't fall for the processes and nutritionally void things you find a breakfast buffets and the like. Oatmeal is a person favorite or I just have fresh fruit.

To me there are just things that are not worth it- that granola bar you did not really need, the stale bagel at the breakfast buffet, the pizza in the tourist area that was not very good, etc... Look for balance.
  • HanyaBreak
    Options
    The only advice I have is to make sure you catch a game at Fenway. It is truly a life-making experience. Stay for the end. It's awesome.

Also, maybe a side drive up to Maine could provide some healthy options...lots of good healthy seafood if you stay away from butter and mayo.

We are going to 2 games at Fenway and I am well rehearsed for Sweet Caroline. What happens at the end?!? No, don't tell me ;) very excited!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm in Boston and it is really a terrific walking city, so do your best to burn calories that way and enjoy a few treats since it is vacation! Everything in moderation.
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Fenway Park is amazing but there is a lot of tempting food everywhere so try to eat a healthy lunch or dinner *before* you head to the park so you're less likely to go grabbing for the Fenway Franks and fries. :)

You'll walk a lot in Boston. It's a very walkable city.

Seafood in Boston is a wonderful thing. Stick to seafood restaurants vs. just ordering seafood dishes off some pub menu. (Not that pub food tastes bad here, but it's typically not prepared as healthily as in a seafood restaurant.) I like Legal Seafoods.

Have a great time!

PS: Routing for the Yankees is bad for your health. Always route for the Sox!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Fenway Park is amazing but there is a lot of tempting food everywhere so try to eat a healthy lunch or dinner *before* you head to the park so you're less likely to go grabbing for the Fenway Franks and fries. :)

Seafood in Boston is a wonderful thing. Stick to seafood restaurants vs. just ordering seafood dishes off some pub menu. (Not that pub food tastes bad here, but it's typically not prepared as healthily as in a seafood restaurant.) I like Legal Seafoods.

Have a great time!

Agreed on all accounts here, too. Especially the last one! Both are terrific walking cities...you will get a ton of good exercise just walking around to everything.
  • HanyaBreak
    Options
    Thanks for this advice. Feel less panic-stricken.

Get a good breakfast in, avoid grabbing something for the sake of it. Walk, walk, walk :)

That is a really helpful point about being served 2 portions of everything, that puts things into perspective for me. l will keep a close eye on the sauces. Not a big one for sauces anyway so I will probably seem like a very boring tourist!

The Mr keeps threatening trying the two types of Philly cheese steak (doing a day trip to see Mets @ Phils) which I am running very fast in the opposite direction from! I don't think any amount of walking will burn a bite of one of them off! I will remember to have the occasional treat though.
  • ebelliss
    ebelliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    walk everywhere!!!! i go to school in boston, and i literally walk everywhere because its just so easy!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are indeed larger in the US. Drinks especially, such as sodas, are enormous, as are the amounts of ice they will put in said glasses. DO NOT feel as though you must clean your plate. When indulging in seafood dishes, just use common sense. Most places will offer various cooking methods- fried, grilled, broiled, pan seared, etc. Grilled and broiled will be your best bets.

There isn't anywhere you need to avoid, just be aware the amount you are eating. Also, you are going to two cities that are very walkable. You should be able to burn some of those excess goodies off! I live between Boston and NYC (in Connecticut) and am certain you'll have a blast!

I live in NY. Agree with what above poster said about enormous portion sizes. Don't get sucked into thinking you have to finish it all. Doggie bag half of it is what I would do or split an entree perhaps.
  • jenbehe
    jenbehe Posts: 110 Member
    Options

The Mr keeps threatening trying the two types of Philly cheese steak (doing a day trip to see Mets @ Phils) which I am running very fast in the opposite direction from! I don't think any amount of walking will burn a bite of one of them off! I will remember to have the occasional treat though.

Being a Philly girl, I know how delicious (and massive) they are!
  • PunkyG210
    PunkyG210 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    While in Boston, be sure to go to the top of the Prudential building to look out over the city. It's a cool view. Enjoy!
  • wildcata77
    Options
    Thanks for this advice. Feel less panic-stricken.

Get a good breakfast in, avoid grabbing something for the sake of it. Walk, walk, walk :)

That is a really helpful point about being served 2 portions of everything, that puts things into perspective for me. l will keep a close eye on the sauces. Not a big one for sauces anyway so I will probably seem like a very boring tourist!

I highly reccomend Dalessandros in Roxborough west of Philly. And it's nearly as bad for you, but the chicken philly is excellent. If you want a vaguely healthier alternative while he tries the Philly, get a Roast Pork. (t's served with spinach or broccoli rabe and less cheese and fat overall, although the same delicious bread. You should at least try a Philly sandwich once in your life...I promise.
  • HanyaBreak
    Options

Have a great time!

Haha, love it!
  • BitteOrca
    BitteOrca Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm originally from NYC and there are healthy eating options EVERYWHERE. you can find a make your own salad place on almost every other corner in midtown, and like other people have already said, there will always be healthy options at restaurants. avoid chain restaurants with the mega sized portions and seemingly healthy options (olive garden salad is NOT a good option!) and stick to local places instead. you must try the classics like a true new york slice of pizza, bagel and cream cheese and a good deli sandwich (katz's!) but as long as you mix it up with lots of fresh veggies and tons of walking you should do great!
  • Stevensno
    Options
    I've not long got back to the UK after a couple of weeks in MA. Went to Boston for the day and it was fantastic,though walking through Quincy Market was a challenge in itself !

Try the swordfish, it's very good.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    1; study the transit system in NYC, you'll get lost less often.
    2; best time to hit up the empire state building is the dinner hours
    3; stay away from chinese and Italian food, except for lunch. and ask for smaller portions.
    4; a stadium hot dog is a must.
    5; hit up central park. a lot.

google restaurants and check out their ratings at urbanspoon and other restaurant rating websites.
  • sbbc09
    sbbc09 Posts: 22
    Options

Have a great time!

This. Legal Seafoods is one of my favorites, and the location on the waterfront has a great view (there are several locations throughout the city). Not really in line with your mission, but cannoli at Modern Pastry is fantastic, and they filled on order, not pre-filled like other pastry shops. Worth the splurge.
  • HanyaBreak
    Options
    This is all so great, thank you. Making a number of notes :D