Oh goodness, hello(:

Options
Hey everyone! :heart:
My name is Jessica, and I just joined myfitnesspal this morning. My doctor actually recommended me to take a look at it some time ago, and while searching for weight loss tips this morning it came up and I figured "Hey! Why not?"

So, I'm going on eighteen this year and am a senior at my highschool.
My current weight is 170 lbs, and I'm 5'7". :frown:
My weight loss goal is 140 lbs, and seems pretty daunting to me.
I've tried working out before and eating right before, but I've never really lost any weight. I seem to always maintain the same weight.

Anyways, that's me (:

Replies

• Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Im Danielle and I just joined on Monday after reading about this in a magazine. Thoght I would give it a try. I started dieting on Saturday for the 1 millionth time in life lol Not giving my age lol Good luck to you. Will the right attitude and willpower I know you can do it!
  • dtbilinsky
    Options
    It's nice to meetcha :) I'm Dylan. I'm a massive 6' 11" and I weigh 359 pounds. That may seem like a ton of weight but my height covers at least half of it. I hope to go down to at least 290 and then see where my motivation goes after that.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options

So, I'm going on eighteen this year and am a senior at my highschool.
    My current weight is 170 lbs, and I'm 5'7". :frown:
    My weight loss goal is 140 lbs, and seems pretty daunting to me.

Oh you can so do this. Age is on your side, and while 30 pounds seems like a lot, it IS do-able. (and easier now than it will be when you are older!) Logging everything on MFP is a great start.
  • jessicamariemeyer
    jessicamariemeyer Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks Danielle, good luck to you too! (:

And wow Dylan! That's really tall, but you're right, your weight should be heavier because you've got a lot of body!
    Good luck to you, if you ever need motivation I'll be here! You can do it (;
  • jessicamariemeyer
    Options

Oh you can so do this. Age is on your side, and while 30 pounds seems like a lot, it IS do-able. (and easier now that it will be when you are older!) Logging everything on MFP is a great start.

Awh, thank you for your support! It means a lot (:
    My mom has a gym membership and we try to go, but she's 49 and works A LOT and has some health issues related to her weight that make her feel like crap :(
  • jessalleyne
    Options
    HI Jessica! I'm Jessica too! I'm glad you are here because I have found this to be a great source of informaiton and support.

I know that this is daunting - so I wanted to share with you a couple of tips that I used when I first started on this journey. First - just journal what you are currently eating - don't worry about limiting yourself right away (but I"m not your doctor!). I just wanted to know at first what I was doing to myself with what I was eating.

Then - I just took one step at a time. If you incorporate too many changes you might be excited at first - but it will eventually become oppressive. So focus on one thing at a time - like eating more whole foods instead of processed (junk) foods. You can consume more calories (within reason) of whole foods & then you can of processed foods. Once you are comfortable with your initial changes - add more.

Dr. Edward Bach wrote a great book "Heal Thyself" and he talks about not battling the faults in ourselves because we eventually will come across a day when our will power isn't strong enough - and the battle of our faults only suppresses them. Instead - focus on the opposite virtue - and when you have incorporated that into yourself it will wash away the fault. So, focus on whole foods and how they nourish your body - or how you feel after you work out (not when you work out :) ) and your mind will wash away some of the arguments for eating the junk food & being less active. Be kind to yourself - and it will respond with love right back to ya!

Good luck!! Peace!
  • Ccampbell21
    Ccampbell21 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to reply because I have a daughter a little older than you and your post struck me. Congrats in taking the first steps. Remember crazy fad diets shouldn't be a part of your weight loss program. Do simple things like cut out soda and choose healthy snacks. You need to change your eating habits not just to lose your initial weight but to be able to make life long healthy eating habits. This is a great sight to log the food you eat and get lots of support. There are fun challenges on the exercise boards too. Remember your exercise can be as easy as riding your bike or walking when you have time. Don't feel overwhelmed to have to work out in a flurry, you will burn yourself out. Also don't freak out over the scale. Use a measuring tape and log your inches lost too. You will sometimes see a difference in your inches before you see a huge change in your scale. Your body will be building muscle! Read a lot and make smart choices! Good luck!
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me. always looking for new friends with new ideas and hope to help someone along their journey,too.
  • JB5349
    JB5349 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

Make sure that you take your measurements too.... realistically when you take your measurement and there is no change in the scale then you can at least see that you have lost inches. That too is a great motivator.
  • sivankeren
    sivankeren Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    I'm your age, and It's great having friends the same age! I'm 5'11 and already lost 10 pounds, it's not too hard once you put your mind to it!

feel free to add me
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi Jessica, thanks for joining, you will like it here. I started at 172 pounds a couple months ago on here, and I am also hoping to get to 140 (I am 5' 5.5"). Losing 30 pounds is daunting to me too, and I always seem to get stuck too, but here is hoping you and me both can get there.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hey Jess...welcome to MFPeep-dom! You will LOVE it here!! I have tried a zillion times to lose weight before and then this little thing came into my life...and I am like 410+ days in!! Check out my ticker below and that is where the "proof is in the pudding" lies. Funny...a fat girl references pudding. ANYWAYS...my advice....stick with it! Experiment with new foods. The BIGGEST help for me in my addiction to CRAPPY FOOD....i.e. McD's, BK, Wendy's, Taco Bell....was watching a youtube of Jamie Oliver about PInk slime....google it....watch it....learn from it!! eeww! A true life saver!! Get out there and get moving....eat better & have fun!! This is a GREAT place for friends, advice and learning! <3 ya!! Best of luck!
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello Jessica and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day and feel free to add me if you wish. :smile:
  • Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Hey Jessica! Welcome to MFP! I've been on and off this site for awhile but about two weeks ago decided to really take it seriously. I know that 30 lbs seems like a lot but remember that you CAN do it! Feel free to add me as a friend! I would love to help you out if I can!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Welcome :) Congratulations on the first step, this is a great place x
  • MissKTMc
    MissKTMc Posts: 49
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

Feel free to add me as a friend! I'm an exercise scientist and deal specifically with measuring energy expenditure and matching energy requirements to expenditure! I can offer you support and some good advice when everything seems overwhelming. It's my job! Be careful of what you read on forums here and elsewhere, a lot of people just don't know what they're talking about! If you ever get confused, I'm here!

Kerry xx
  • greeneyes1014
    Options
    Hi Jessica!!
    Welcome!!! this really is a great place to help you with your diet goals.
    you get lots of good tips and support from people
    im 30 years old and its taken me 12 years to find something that really works (next to the nutritionist that i started to see in feb) lol
    as others have said your age is a good thing, better to start younger and get used to these good habits before you may get to an age where u settle into bad habits. just remember even if you trip up a bit, you can always reroute yourself to the good, one or two bad days arent horrible. and seeing what your eating from day to day then comparing week to week can really help u see what foods really work for you vs what doesnt.. even if they do seem healthy. take it slow, dont get overwhelmed or discouraged if you dont lose right away.. i started in late feb and im down 18lbs some weeks u wont see the scale change, but u may see some clothes start to loosen up. just keep a postive attitude and if u need to vent.. do it..
    good luck!!!!
  • jessicamariemeyer
    Options
    Hey :)
    I'm your age, and It's great having friends the same age! I'm 5'11 and already lost 10 pounds, it's not too hard once you put your mind to it!

feel free to add me

Okay! I will!
    And yeah, it's great seeing people my age. And sso many supportive people in general, gets me motivated! (:
  • jessicamariemeyer
    Options
    Hi Jessica,

Make sure that you take your measurements too.... realistically when you take your measurement and there is no change in the scale then you can at least see that you have lost inches. That too is a great motivator.

Okay, thanks for the advice! (:
  • jessicamariemeyer
    Options
    Hi! I wanted to reply because I have a daughter a little older than you and your post struck me. Congrats in taking the first steps. Remember crazy fad diets shouldn't be a part of your weight loss program. Do simple things like cut out soda and choose healthy snacks. You need to change your eating habits not just to lose your initial weight but to be able to make life long healthy eating habits. This is a great sight to log the food you eat and get lots of support. There are fun challenges on the exercise boards too. Remember your exercise can be as easy as riding your bike or walking when you have time. Don't feel overwhelmed to have to work out in a flurry, you will burn yourself out. Also don't freak out over the scale. Use a measuring tape and log your inches lost too. You will sometimes see a difference in your inches before you see a huge change in your scale. Your body will be building muscle! Read a lot and make smart choices! Good luck!

Awh, will do! Thanks for your support and advice <3