My question is for shorties

Options
I am a 28 year old female. I am 5'1'' or 5'2''. I weigh 110 pounds. I want to shred some fat but hell I cant manage to eat around 1200 cals. 1200 cals seem soooo low. I usually eat around 1500 calories and I dont lose anything! How do you survive on 1200 cals? Am I the only one with a big appetite?

Replies

• litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Your weight is fine, so I wouldn't worry about reducing your calories. Just try eating better calories (fruits, veggies, etc.) and work out.
  • xshortiex
    xshortiex Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, 5'1, and 105lbs. I calculated how much I should be eating, and the calculator told me around 1800 calories. Your daily recommended intake should be around there as well, so I wouldn't worry. 1500 is great. If you're still worried about losing weight or you want to lose faster, just do more exercise to burn the calories you eat :)
  • nfgchick79
    nfgchick79 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Add some strength training to your routine if you aren't already doing so. Also your weight is fine (I'm 5'0" and weight 107-109 depending on the day). I'm currently toning up after losing about 25 lbs. You should check out the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. 1500 calories is also perfectly fine, don't get hung up on the 1200 thing.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I normally can survive on 1200 or less and that's NET - My RD recently upped my calories to 1700 this week and she just said calorie dense foods are the way to go - so the opposite would be true, more raw foods as they contain lower calories.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I agree your weigh is great,just eat healthier calories for sure, I am smae height and 119, trying to get back to my 110 goal
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am 5' tall and right around 110 lbs. I eat 1600 calories + my exercise calories and still am losing weight, but at a very slow pace. That is the key when you are small. You are not going to lose it fast. Do you exercise? I think this is a key for small people because it will a) allow you to eat more b) help to change you body composition to give you a leaner look. When I was eating 1200 calories, I found the days that I did not exercise to be really difficult. I have a big appetite. My diary is open if you want to have a look.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 calories and it is tough because I'm used to eating like a pig but I'm 5'2 and about 119...I wanna lose a few pounds but I'm actually gaining with the 30 day shred some how because I'm def doing good with my calories
  • pedraz
    pedraz Posts: 173
    Options
    I am 5'1"/112lbs (156cm/50.7kg).... and 54 years old. Female. It takes an hour and a half of super sweat sessions for me to burn around 450 cals. This is the only way for me to do it though. I exercise to be able to eat. On my dreaded non-exercise days I have a really hard time staying within 1200 cals so, I completely understand your plight. If anybody has any remedies I'd love to hear about it. I also have that added 54 year old slower metabolism to account for so, it's a challenge. Every day. Good Luck and I hope we get some answers : )
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I am a 28 year old female. I am 5'1'' or 5'2''. I weigh 110 pounds. I want to shred some fat but hell I cant manage to eat around 1200 cals. 1200 cals seem soooo low. I usually eat around 1500 calories and I dont lose anything! How do you survive on 1200 cals? Am I the only one with a big appetite?

I eat 2100, you are not the only one with a big appetite. I don't think you need to really lose any weight, just gain muscle and lose fat, check out scooby to get good info on the calories you should be eating.
  • MizzTatiana
    MizzTatiana Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Oh man... I'm 130lbs and 5'1... I'm only eating 1k calories a day. If I eat a full 1200, the scale will yell at me the next day. I'm not hungry, or anything so I guess I'm just wayy on the other end. On my last 10 lbs!!!!
  • ewjohnson4
    ewjohnson4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I feel the need to chime in for all the short men out there! I am 5'6", 165 and think I am pretty active (north of 500 weekly mins, in the middle of training for my 1st ultra). 1200 would require some major discipline (which you clearly have) but IS doable. I noticed you are a fellow vegatarian, so I wanted to recommend adding a Sunwarrior protein supplement to the day which will fill you up a lot more than you think. It's vegan/plant-based and have a scoop 2-3 times a day and it helps keep me in the 1350-1500 calorie range, even when training. I hope it helps and keep up the great work!
  • roxie0920
    Options
    It's all about the workout! I always tell people that it's harder for us (less vertically blessed) to nourish ourselves and not eat too many calories. I focus on calories burned instead. If your daily goal is say, 1500, any number under that is weight lost, even if it's an unnoticable amount. :) So every day I think somethine like this, "Man I ate almost 1400 calories today, but hey, that's 100 calories under what I needed, so that's 100 calories lost. Oh, and let's not forget that awesome 400 calorie workout I did, so that's a total of 500 calories under, which is 1/7 a lb!" I can lose a pound a week at this rate and I'm not hungry! You get the point. :) Burn, burn, burn!!
  • HotAndSpicy10
    Options
    I'm 5'2" (102-105 lbs.....if fluctuates) and I eat at least 1800 calories per day. I try and exercise 5 or 6 days a week. I am not trying to lose anymore weight though.

When I was trying to lose my "last 10 lbs", I made the mistake of only eating 1200 and ended up having an extreme migraine for a week straight!!! My face, legs and arms would go numb....it was one of the scariest experiences I've ever had. Needless to say, I quickly put a stop to that as I am not a believer in starving oneself to lose weight.

Anyways, I was safely losing weight at around 1400 - 1500 calories but I wasn't working out nearly as much then (I have a fairly active lifestyle in general though).

Personally, I think at your weight, you shouldn't even bother weighing yourself very often anymore and just concentrate more on how you feel and how clothes fit, etc...That's what I do now and since I've increased weight training, I actually suspect that I have gained some weight (muscles!! :)), but my clothes fit better.

I rarely ever weigh myself anymore.....it's so liberating!!