key point you need to remember about losing fat ??

Options
"Now, without getting into too much detail about metabolism and how you can control it, the key point you need to remember about losing fat is that you need to burn more energy than you consume."

I keep seeing this information on all different sites, every where I go it's says you need to exercise more than you eat.

Does that mean if I eat 1200 calories a day I should burn 1300 a day. I know that can't be right, can it ?
But why do they say you need to burn more than you consume.
I'm averaging burning about 300-400 calories a day and I know I shouldn't be only eating 200 calories a day.

So how do you burn more than what you consume ?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,979 Member
    Options
    "Burning" also applies to the calories you burn just staying alive. You know your body uses calories for everything, right? Not just planned exercise.
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is the number of calories you need each day to maintain your current weight.

TDEE = BMR x Activity

Sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1.2 x BMR
    Light (little exercise/sports 1-3x per week) = 1.375 x BMR
    Moderate (moderate exercise/sports 3-5x per week) = 1.550 x BMR
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7x per week) = 1.725 x BMR
    Extra Active (physical job or 2x a day training) = 1.9 x BMR

BMR (women)= 655 + ( 4.35 * Weight ) + ( 4.7 * Height ) - ( 4.7 * Age )

To lose weight - Daily Calorie Intake = TDEE - (20% of your TDEE)

1lb of fat =3500 calories. By cutting 500 calories a day, you can lose 1 lb a week. 1lb being the recommended norm.

If you exercise, you create an additional calorie deficit, but since your body will need to recover, it's recommended to eat back your exercise calories...if not all, then most.

And water...lots of water, can't go wrong there!

Your body is always burning calories, even when sleeping or lying on the couch watching tv.
    Calories are fuel, without them, we break down. Too much and we store them and expand as a result.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know we are always burning but I didn't think we would burn much in one day doing normal everyday activities.
    Would be interesting to know how much I burn each day without exercise.
    Thanks for the replies :)
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my biggest tip in the world is DON'T DRINK ALCOHOL WITH YOUR MEALS!!!!
    people think they are fine having a beer or glass of wine as long as it's within their calorie range but that's not the whole story

because alcohol is poison, it's your bodies first priority to get rid of it. your metabolism becomes almost instantly shot and any food in your system especially high fat/processed food will likely be stored as fat. i won't go too much into it but you can research online if you are interested
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1858

"TDEE = BMR x Activity "
    Sedentary (little or no exercise) = 1.2 x BMR = 2229

" To lose weight - Daily Calorie Intake = TDEE - (20% of your TDEE) "

TDEE = 2229 - 445 = 1784

So I should be eating 1784 calories a day ?