Almost Football season

Options
2»

Replies

• Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    GO LIONS!

Booooo........though I will say there's no better receiver than Calvin Johnson out there. Wish we had him.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Always incorporate the following ingredient into your gameday..........the ingredient you ask???

THE NEW ORLEANS F'IN SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!

you are welcome.

Ewwww......N.O. spells NO! Go Panthers! YOU'RE welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • atoffan
    atoffan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It doesn't fully justify it, however, my friends and I play football in the snow for about 90min before games start! We also don't have some of these crazy foods but they sound delicious.
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    BUMP! Lots of great ideas here!
  • atoffan
    atoffan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PS... Go Niners!!!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I would worry less about what foods and just do portion control on things you love and have fun.

For main dishes: Hamburgers and hotdogs/brats are decent sources of protein. You could opt for whole wheat buns and turkey alternatives (ground or in dog form) to keep fat lower. Ribs are really not bad for you at all, just keep an eye on the sugar in whatever sauce you use and only eat 2-4. Grilled chicken is a no lose situation.

As for side dish options, grill veggies (red potatoes, onions, peppers) and/or corn on the cob in aluminum foil. Jalepeno poppers, use low fat cream cheese mixed with olive juice for a filler and eat raw or grilled instead of fried--yummy! Tortilla chips with salsa is a better option than potato chips.

For desserts, well there are a million low cal and high protein type recipes on this site. Just look around!

For alcohol, wine is a good option. Especially red wine. There are also some skinny girl mixers out there, but I've never tried them.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    GO LIONS!

Booooo........though I will say there's no better receiver than Calvin Johnson out there. Wish we had him.

Who wastes time booing on the Lions? I mean, they're my team and all, but it's not like we're a threat to anyone, ever lol.
  • niccolebarnes
    niccolebarnes Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just saw this and thought it looked pretty good:

Broccoli and Cheddar-Stuffed Potato Skins with Avocado Cream

2007, Ellie Krieger All Rights Reserved
    Prep Time:20 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:50 minLevel:EasyServes:8 servings.

Ingredients
    8 small Idaho potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds total), scrubbed and dried
    4 teaspoons canola oil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces broccoli florets, coarsely chopped (about 4 cups)
    Cooking spray
    3 pieces Canadian bacon, finely diced (about 3 ounces)
    3/4 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar (about 3 ounces)

Avocado Creme:
    2 scallions, thinly sliced, greens reserved
    1 medium avocado
    2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Pierce potatoes several times with a fork and wrap in paper towels. Microwave on high for 13 to 15 minutes, until potatoes are cooked through. Remove from microwave and cool until potatoes are easy to handle. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop all but 1/8 inch of the inside of the potato, leaving skin intact. Reserve scooped potato flesh for another use.

Brush both inside and outside of potatoes with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place potatoes, skin-side down, on a baking sheet and bake until skins are crisp and edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare the filling. Steam the broccoli until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside. Spray a nonstick pan with cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the Canadian bacon and cook until crisp stirring often, about 3 to 4 minutes. Reserve.

To make avocado cream, combine scallion whites, avocado, sour cream lime juice, cilantro, garlic and salt in the small bowl of a food processor and process on high until smooth. About 30 seconds.

Toss the broccoli with cheese and spoon filling evenly among potatoes. Lower oven to 400 degrees F and return potatoes to oven until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the avocado cream on top of broccoli-filled potatoes, then top with scallion greens and 1 teaspoon crisped bacon bits.

Yield: 8 servings (1 serving equals 2 potato halves, 1 tablespoon avocado cream, 1/2 teaspoon scallions and 1 teaspoon bacon bits)

Per Serving:

Calories 180; Total Fat 10 g; (Sat Fat 3.5 g, Mono Fat 2 g, Poly Fat 1 g) ; Protein 8 g; Carb 15 g; Fiber 3 g; Cholesterol 20 mg; Sodium 380 mg

(*Analyzed using 1 pound of potatoes)
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    GO LIONS!

Who wastes time booing on the Lions? I mean, they're my team and all, but it's not like we're a threat to anyone, ever lol.

Ha.......good point. lol
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    First of all GO LIONS.

Alton Browns chicken wings (you steam them, then roast in the oven)
    I make chili with ground turkey and 5 different beans (pinto,white,black,kidney and chick peas)
    Veggie tray with lowfat dip or humus
    Fruit tray
    oven roasted veggies (squash,zuchinni, brussel sprouts, asparagus)
    smashed spicey sweet potatoes (got this recipe on Pinterest)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I love party options that allow you to tailor make your meal.

How about a taco or fajita bar? You can saute up some beef, grill some chicken, roast some veggies or broil some tilapia for the ingredients. The put out all of the fixings and let people decide what they want on it. You can also make some fresh salsa (healthier than the sodium-packed stuff) and substitute Greek yogurt for the sour cream. The men who don't want to diet can have the real stuff. I've actually used this concept with ice cream sundaes, too.

If everyone wants chips and dip, you can always cut up some veggies for yourself. They go with most dips and at least you'd be cutting out the chip calories.

A also make a corn and bean salad that everyone loves (even the men) and is a great side. Here's the recipe:

One can of corn
    One can of black beans
    One-two scallions sliced
    One Lime
    Cilantro
    Honey
    Olive oil
    Mustard
    Cumin

Take a large bowl and whisk together a couple tablespoons of oil, tsp of mustard, salt, pepper, pinch of cumin and a drop or two of honey (until it tastes right). I'm guessing on these measurements, so just taste it as you go. Pour in corn and rinsed black beans. Mix to combine. Toss in scallions and chopped cilantro. Squeeze the lime over the top. Mix to combine. Let sit for an hour and enjoy!
  • jbond80
    jbond80 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump, i was just thinking about this the other day! Love Football Season!!!!!!!!
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have created a a Fantasy Football League made up of friends here on MFP. If you are interested in playing out the season with some added incentives for the wins and losses (this is MFP, after all) then send me a personal message with your regular email address. I have at least 1 spot open and need 1 more team owner. Three more would be even better. Lets combine our love of football with getting fit and have some fun! The draft is next Saturday @ 10 a.m. CST.

Go Cowboys!
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Skyline dip is big in my house on game day. I use fat free cream cheese and reduced fat regular cheese - but sometimes you can tell. I will also use smaller chips too.

Gotta Love the Skyline!!!!