c25k trying to keep with it

Options
I have started g25k again. I had to stop due to my leg going numb. But im ready to start again. I really want to be able to run for 3 miles with out having to stop. I start out strong but after im going for a little bit I feel like I should stop. I keep trying to tell myself that I can do this.. But it don't work. I really want this. I never did run in school. Does anyone have some tips for me?

Replies

• murdock8272
    Options
    I am in week 9 and I actually ran a 5k for the first time today. I'm pretty heavy so I understand how hard it is to start. For me, the first few weeks of the program were the hardest. My tips would be the following:

1. Run the three days a week on a consistant schedule. I run every M,W,F, no excuses.
    2. Hydrate. A few weeks ago I had an awful run because I didn't drink enough water, it was the worst run of the whole program.
    3. Don't stop. Sounds simple, but for me it was the absolute thing that kept me going. Run the time they tell you to run. I did the whole program and never once walked when I wasn't suppose to walk and I think that made the difference. I told myself that it was non-negtiable (barring injury or something of course) and I stuck to it.

Good luck! Once I did the 20 minute run without stopping I knew I had made real progress and it was motivation to continue.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I am in week 9 and I actually ran a 5k for the first time today. I'm pretty heavy so I understand how hard it is to start. For me, the first few weeks of the program were the hardest. My tips would be the following:

1. Run the three days a week on a consistant schedule. I run every M,W,F, no excuses.
    2. Hydrate. A few weeks ago I had an awful run because I didn't drink enough water, it was the worst run of the whole program.
    3. Don't stop. Sounds simple, but for me it was the absolute thing that kept me going. Run the time they tell you to run. I did the whole program and never once walked when I wasn't suppose to walk and I think that made the difference. I told myself that it was non-negtiable (barring injury or something of course) and I stuck to it.

Good luck! Once I did the 20 minute run without stopping I knew I had made real progress and it was motivation to continue.

^^that. I've been on the program for months now, doing it at my own pace, but finished week 7 today. I can't believe that in 2 weeks I'll be running my first 5k. Just do what they tell you, and be amazed at what your body is capable of.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    What the others said, and don't feel bad about having to re-do a day or week if you need to. Its better to re-do a day/week then to say its too hard and just give up.
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above .. but really need to emphasize.. don't stop! Listen to the voice and when it tells you to run.. run! We are so good at convincing ourselves we need breaks and should probably take it easy but don't listen to those voices.. just listen to the C25K guy!
    I wasn't a runner at all either but was able to finish the program by sticking with the M, W, F schedule and listening to the voice.

Also.. I recently learned that drinking some warm/hot water with a squeeze of lemon before a workout does wonders to keep me hydrated.. no cramps or anything!

Good luck! You can do it!
  • momma_of_42000
    Options
    we have started c25k and this is our first week i am determined to do this so keep ya'lls fingers crossed....
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate

Warm up at least for 5 minutes before running
    Do some dynamic stretches

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html
    http://www.builtlean.com/2011/04/06/dynamic-stretching-routine-best-full-body-warm-up/

Cool down at least 5 minutes after running
    Stretch real well after your cool down (static stretches; these you hold for 30-60 seconds)

and...if you have an iPod or other mp3; get a VERY pumped up running play list (I have a crazy mix of 80s rock, 90s rock, top 40, some metal, christian rock, country and some pop....all super amped up that makes you want to run to the beat)

Keep working at it and you'll get there. I run 3x per week no matter if I have to take it slower, run shorter distance, run on a different day....I fit it in my schedule. Oh...find a GREAT place to run. If you're trying to run on the Dread, I mean treadmill; go find a track or a nice greenway, path, park path; we run on a path at the lake or at a local greenway and when I'm at home I actually start on the treadmill b/c it's too dark outside at 5:30am, then finish outside in our neighborhood; that way I can get 5-7 miles in before work. I know you're just starting out, but I was there once too.....

You can DEW IT!!!
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 3 of c25k. The biggest thing that has helped me so far is making sure I breathe correctly (in through the nose, out through the mouth) and keep it consistent like a rhythm. And of course some good energizing music to push through it. Going to start week 4 on Friday and I'm looking forward to it.

You can do it, just keep on goin!
  • ClassicPearl
    ClassicPearl Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Sign up for a 5k in 9 weeks. That'll get you motivated since you have to do it :) There's no turning back then!