Sodium

Options
SInce I have been on MFP and more aware of food I eat, I am concerned about the massive amounts of sodium in a lot of foods. Things like Lean Cuisine lunches have 500 to 800 grams of sodium.

What is a reasonable goal for max sodium per day?

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    2500mg or less is appropriate for a majority of people, as long as they don't have any health problems that would require them to consume less / more. If I were you, I'd be more concerned about getting in your other macros, like protein and good fats, and getting enough potassium. If you're truly concerned with sodium, you could always go to your doctor and get checked out. :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Personally, I strive to keep sodium at a max of 1500 mg. That's just based on what I've read and the fact that we have a lot of heart disease in my family!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you are sensitive to sodium, or deficient in potassium, then the amount you eat doesn't really matter. Some days I eat 1000 mg of sodium, some days I eat 5000mg, I don't track it.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try very hard to keep the processed foods out of my eating plan but realize that it is not always an option. For me the only thing htat has really saved me from retaining all the fluid from excess sodium is the dry sauna. Bottom line is to reduce the processed foods as much as possible, :(.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    SInce I have been on MFP and more aware of food I eat, I am concerned about the massive amounts of sodium in a lot of foods. Things like Lean Cuisine lunches have 500 to 800 grams of sodium.

What is a reasonable goal for max sodium per day?

I don't track it. no reason to.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are having too much on a certain day, drink some extra water that day.
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you are having too much on a certain day, drink some extra water that day.
    Uh no. He is 65 you lil young un.
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    Sodium is a very important topic for anyone over 60 sir. Your doctor should have a clear recommendation for you based on your personal heart health, medical history and labs. Listening to hee haws on mfp not good idea for you.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I wish they made salt licks for people...
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    Sorry I realize that sounded harsh. Here. :flowerforyou:
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    I wish they made salt licks for people...
    ROFL!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    hee haw
  • nursenessa1
    Options
    hee haw~person with good intentions but fry short of happy meal. It is Texas slang. Not meant to offend.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    wasn't offended, was amused.

Personally, I think I'm more of a hooligan.

ETA: The McDonald's reference, however, is offensive.