hot yoga

Options
2»

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I am going to start cold yoga...if your muscles are frozen it will take more effort to move them, therefore burning more calories! whose with me?? Since you will all get in on the ground level on this new program I will offer you all special rates too!

We can sell my green M&M diet at the studios. We'll make a fortune!

I am intrigued with the thought of the green M&M diet...I think this could definately work...additional discounts for signing up for both programs...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am going to start cold yoga...if your muscles are frozen it will take more effort to move them, therefore burning more calories! whose with me?? Since you will all get in on the ground level on this new program I will offer you all special rates too!

I am intrigued with the thought of the green M&M diet...I think this could definately work...additional discounts for signing up for both programs...

It's a secret, so I'm only telling you -- sssshhhh!:

Eat one green M&M a day and along with diet and exercise, you lose weight. So simple!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    i love hot yoga. and by hot yoga, i mean regular yoga, just me doing it without my shirt on.

I'm doing yoga with you...
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options

Eat one green M&M a day and along with diet and exercise, you lose weight. So simple!

but if I eat 2 will I lose more???
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    It is so terrible for you. It brings your internal body temperature well beyond safe levels. You don't receive any benefits from it. You may get a rush, but that is more likely from dehydration and heat exhaustion.

False. Totally false. Instructors will specifically tell you to be well hydrated and to drink water throughout class, and the room is only heated to like 95 degrees. I take it all the time, and it enables you to work deeper into the muscles. I absolutely love it. And I've never gotten so hot it was unbearable---I'm more uncomfortable outside in the summer time (it gets up to 110 degrees here every summer) than I am in a hot yoga class. In fact, I'm more uncomfortable and hot when I go running on a treadmill in the air conditioning than during hot yoga. You're encouraged to take breaks, listen to your body, and don't push yourself harder than is reasonable. Not to mention the last 5-10 minutes of class is laying in savasana centering yourself.

I feel better after taking hot yoga classes than I do after normal-temperature hatha classes. Every time I've had a bad eating weekend or something, a hot yoga class (accompanied by a LOT of hydration ahead of time, during, and afterward) makes me feel like a brand new person. As for calorie burn, I'm not sure it burns more than traditional yoga unless you're doing a vinyasa practice, which tends to be faster paced and more challenging, but your 26 pose hatha class might not burn much more (although it sure as hell feels like it since you're working a bit harder in the warm room). I'd say just log it as regular yoga and if you burn more, great, if not, no biggie since the benefits of yoga in general are much greater than just a calorie burn :smile:

^^^ This. *big puffy heart yoga* especially hot yoga, feels amazing afterwards!

As far as calories burned, I've worn my HRM before just to see what I would burn and its between 200-600 calories depending on class type, time etc - most of it in my fat burning zone too. Hot yoga I range 400-500 calories in a 75 min session.
  • mommyred35
    mommyred35 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I thought hot yoga was just where the people were hot.

That's exactly what I thought. I guess we were both wrong. Oh well.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options

It's no secret. It is rather obvious. Your body sees the green shell and is tricked into thinking you are eating vegetables. SO you can have as many green m&ms as you want and your body will just think you are eating green beans all day!
  • jenny_topaz
    jenny_topaz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've practiced bikram's hot yoga for over a year. It isn't for everyone but give it a try before you judge.
    According to my heart rate monitor I burn anywhere from 450 - 700 calories per 90 minute class. The benefits that I have personally experienced are: increased muscle strength, weight loss, reduced stress, increased flexibility. I have found my weight training and running have both significantly improved through a regular bikram practice.
    I realize it isn't for everyone, it is hard, it can be uncomfortable and it isn't something you will be good at immediately. I love it and have found nothing but benefits for myself physically and mentally; try it before you judge.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

but if I eat 2 will I lose more???

Only one. That is the key to success. And it must be green.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    On a serious note, I think that yoga is a wonderful exercise. I am not as sure about hot yoga, but if you are drinking water, I don't see the harm in it. I just want to make sure people are not wildly overestimating calorie burns.

Once again, HRMs are not accurate for yoga because yoga is not considered a cardio work out.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga can give falsely high calorie burn readings using a HRM. (smarter people than me have explained this well - I believe the heat raises the heart rate, which is measured by HRM as more calories being burned.)

Go with regular yoga when recording your calorie burns.

Bikram yoga is a strict set of poses in a hot room. Hot yoga can be Bikram, but not "officially" so if the teachers and place haven't been certified or learned the secret handshake or something. It takes a few sessions before getting used to the heat. That heat is a mofo at first. Make sure you hydrate throughout the day before, during and after a session. You will sweat. A lot.

The heated room can help with stiff joints and muscles. It can also cause some people to overstretch and injure themselves. There is definitely a lot of hooey around Bikram yoga (flushes toxins!), but the dangers aren't anything beyond common sense to avoid: hydrate, don't overstretch, stop if you feel dizzy, etc.

I like Bikram yoga and want to get back to it. It works for me - seems to help my joints. The benefit over regular yoga could be marginal. But I like the idea of practicing the same 26 poses over and over and improving on them, and the heated room works for me.

I think yoga of any kind is beneficial to the body in many ways. It's probably not a great weight loss exercise, though.
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    PRECISELY PRECISELY PRECISELY!!:smile: to Jenny_Topaz..

Hot yoga is awesome for many, many things... I improve my practice by just keeping at it. And as I presumed, it's in that range of 500 calories, more or less. I know I'm burning calories in there...my breathing is notable and intense with some poses.
    If I'm excreting extra sweat because of exertion, I'm burning calories.. It helps with flexibility, circulation to the all areas of the back, extremities, joints, blood flow.... they way I feel afterwards--- and how I look from it-- I know it's great for me.

I know the difference between Bikram and hot yoga- I do hot yoga.. and there is a big difference between hot yoga and regular yoga..
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Personally, I love Bikram. I would love to get back into it, but it is expensive in my area. I have been to hot yoga classes, and they are quite different. I preferred Bikram myself..... but I would not do it for the calorie burn, I just love how it makes me feel.
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    HRM's do not accurately measure calories burned for yoga. Their calorie burned equations are based on steady cardio and, from my understanding, yoga is more similar to strength work.

The heat is for flexibility. You do not burn more calories in hot yoga than you would doing the same work in normal temps.
    Exercising in the heat does burn more calories since your heart is pumping harder.

I don't know if the HRM would get an accurate reading since your heart is only beating faster due to the heat?
  • Savbomb
    Savbomb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    so I'm no PRO, but I've done the Hot yoga thing or Bikram yoga as it's really called, and this is just my experience with the class.

1. it helps you with your daily water intake because if you DONT drink enough water you're gonna get sick and pass out in class.
    2. tons of people in the class wear barely any clothes seeing people looking sexy and sweating motivates you. and encourages.
    3. JUST DO IT. afterwards you just feel so different in comparison to yoga without the heat. I only did it a couple times but for reals.

give it a try before you talk ****.
  • yocando
    yocando Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I just added hot yoga to the database... never knew I could do that... it's there now!

hot yoga is awesome... and my instructor Natalie is a rock star yoga instructor... she's terrific at what she does.
    As we age, it gets tougher for things to stretch and move... I've had lower back issues most of my adult life.
    With hot yoga, they've almost completely dissipated... I'm a runner, too.. And the ability to stretch more due to the heat in the room is awesome for a runner... hot yoga counteracts the compression and tightness of the running.
    Plus, there is no way I'd get those deep stretches into all areas of my body and joints without that heat and the two sets of poses in the hot yoga room... if you want to grow old gracefully.....hot yoga is a wonderful path to do so.... I can do things now that I never thought I'd be able to do a year ago..... believe me, my body loves me for doing hot yoga!