Pre running stretches.

Options
Hi
I am a new runner! Ding the NHS C25K app on my phone!
Love it but....have achy hips.
It has been suggested by a mate thatI need to do some stretches.
The app says nothing about this...I always start and finish with a brisk 5 minute walk as directed.
I have just started week 5.
Next run due tomorrow!

Any suggestions appreciated

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I'm of the camp of not "stretching" prior to running. Warm-up and go. I've been like this forever whether it be a training run, or 5K where I'm looking to get on the podium.

If you think you need or want to stretch prior too, you need to look into the difference between static and dynamic stretching. Static prior to can promote injury (there's debate on that, but I've never had a sports trainer who believe in static prior to completion not matter the sport), dynamic stretching is the more preferred route if you're going to stretch prior to running.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Long story short. Don't stretch.

If you must stretch, do it afterwards.

If your hips ache take a good assessment of your run posture, speed, heel toe strike, shoes.
    More than likely, take smaller steps and don't land on your heel.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Pre-run? Active stretches - bouncing, jumping, walking, swinging legs, etc

Post-run is for the static stretches - the typical legs in front of you, grab your foot stuff. This article is good.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/5-key-stretches-for-runners

If you've never tried yoga, I would. I run A LOT, and yoga is so good for keeping my hips flexible and pain-free.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I never stretch cold muscles before a run only afterwards so can't help; I know you said you walk before hand so that could be considered warming up with muscles but I just go straight into a run.

Hopefully, someone will stop by who might be able to answer your question :)

ETA: as I must type slow cause others answered while I was still typing. lol
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this helped me out a lot

www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/‎
  • Be11adonna
    Be11adonna Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There's information on this on the NHS site, have a read, might help. Also there's a bunch of lovely supportive people in the forum of the C25Kers (HU) with loads of excellent advice, come and join us there :smile:
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Pre-run? Active stretches - bouncing, jumping, walking, swinging legs, etc

Post-run is for the static stretches - the typical legs in front of you, grab your foot stuff.
    Agree. Before I run, I usually do 30 seconds of Jumping Jacks, 30 seconds of high kicks, 30 seconds of High Knees, 30 Seconds of Butt Kicks, and then I do a bunch of arm-swingy-type-stuff.

Good luck!:drinker:
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I do this after each run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tZ1fCW8cpQ (Yoga for runners, post run).

Really helps with reducing post run ache.

I walk to warm up, do some leg swings, etc. Dynamic warm up routines before. Deeper stretches after.
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm of the camp of not "stretching" prior to running. Warm-up and go. I've been like this forever whether it be a training run, or 5K where I'm looking to get on the podium.

I started doing this about 6 months ago after reading a book on running. Essentially the idea is to warm-up through walking first for 5-10 minutes (I almost always do 10 because I start getting so board I am excited to start my run) and 5-10 minutes of walking at the end - together they add about a mile to my total and the cool-down period still has my heart elevated and helps with my overall burn. If am running on a treadmill at home I will go through a series of 10 post-run stretches, but the approach says this doesn't add much - I just like it.
  • bremorrison
    Options
    I have recently became a runner and love it. I stretch before and after, I know it recommended so you dont injure yourself. I get an achey back so I know how you feel. There is one I know of for your hips you sit with one leg stretched out and the other leg you cross over with a bent knee. Just like the stretches you learned in middle school. lol Good luck to you.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

If your hips ache take a good assessment of your run posture, speed, heel toe strike, shoes.

The bolded is wrong on so many levels. I used to believe that and would only stretch after a long run or just when I felt like it. It back fired on me big time this year. The cool down after a run and stretching after a run are just as important as the run itself. I was having major hip issues in my right leg that caused pain down my hamstrings and quads. Also after some runs it made it so I could barely walk that afternoon. I had to stop running for about three months before I finally got the right help and it all came down to proper post run stretching. I am now back up to 6 mile runs and as long as I spend 5 to 10 minutes stretching afterwards I have a good day.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do yoga stretches not before a run but on their own throughout the week. You can find different poses online for poses that help with running. I personally do poses that stretch out my legs (thighs, calfs, etc) my back and abs, and a few hip opening poses. I find it helps a lot with the aches and it keeps me agile.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Only dynamic "stretching" before hand...but pretty much I just walk briskly for about 5 minutes...might throw in some high knees or something in there along the way. Static stretching afterwards and get yourself a foam roller.

Also, do you know if you supinate? It's rare, as most people pronate or are neutral. I'm a supinator and it causes all kinds of bull**** issues like tight hips, tight IT band, knee issues, foot issues, etc...even if you're properly fitted for running shoes. If you don't know you should definitely head to a running store and get professionally fitted for shoes...they're tell you if you supinate.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Personally, I walk briskly for about a quarter mile and then start a slow jog and increase to my desired speed for the day... Its a gradual slope.. If anything feels slightly off I back off on speeding up.. If it feels messed up I cancel the run (hasn't happened in a long time)... I always cool down and I always do some stretching afterwards... If I'm really tight I may shake out some "bugs" prior to beginning my walk.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Wow...just wanted to say "thanks" for all your responses!
    Gonna take me a while to work through them...but I will!
    I am so relieved no-one has said I should stop!
    I've looked at dynamic and static stretching...I'll start there and progress through all of the comments!

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have recently became a runner and love it. I stretch before and after, I know it recommended so you dont injure yourself. I get an achey back so I know how you feel. There is one I know of for your hips you sit with one leg stretched out and the other leg you cross over with a bent knee. Just like the stretches you learned in middle school. lol Good luck to you.

Actually, it's not recommend. Stretching prior, especially static, can promote injury.....not prevent it which the stretch you just explained is....static.

Op I'd ignore this one and follow the warmup/dynamic stretching advice you got in the rest of the posts.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Agree with dynamic stretching prior to a run. I do stretch afterward and believe it's very important. Not doing this landed me in PT with an injury for 3 months earlier this year. Not fun when you work by Central Park and see all those runners, it's torture.

I do dynamic stretches prior to my run and follow it with more static stretching after that. I also stretch again and foam roll before I go to bed. When I start skipping these thing everything tightens back up and I flirt with a major injury again.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

^agree 100%
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Again..thanks.....have looked at dynamic stretching and will do that
    Going to an Asics running shop tomorrow
    :wink:
  • brunotolosa
    Options
    NEVER stretch before running.. In fact, I wouldn't stretch before any exercise. Stretching is effective post exercises when your body is warm. Stretching when your muscles aren't warmed up and ready to go would invite injuries and you don't need that! :)