Replies

• spider06c
    spider06c Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    As far as the diet, the nutritionist only has you at a 500 calorie deficit? That surprises me. I would think they would be comfortable with you losing weight a bit faster since you have so much weight to lose. They are the experts though, my degree is in healthcare but not in nutrition so I defer to them. It might be something I mention to them though.

It surprised me too. I asked if I could eat back exercise calories and he said "not yet", ergo my actual deficit would be greater than 500 per day since I exercise almost daily.

Thanks again for the great thread.

Sam
  • Beautiful_Pain
    Beautiful_Pain Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Your a guy boo!!! lol you look awesome and happy!!! :wink:
    Weight loss is very similar for men in women. The mechanics behind it are very similar. I will concede that due to their smaller size and accompanying smaller TDEE women has a rougher time as they have to really reduce calories to see weight loss. I can lose weight eating 2700 calories a day, most women need far less the that to lose weight.
    Aha yes far less, thats where my "boo" comes in...but i did say you look Great!
  • pJohanna
    pJohanna Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm 5'1 163 and began walking two weeks ago. I joined a gym last week. I've been wondering if pre-workout and post-workout supplements are needed?
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    This is amazing stuff. Very inspiring !
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Has the new appearance made you arrogant and stuck up?
  • rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Did you have periods of time where your loss was frustrating, slow, or even plateau?
  • jd952
    jd952 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi there, I'd like to say your an inspiration for people like us, you're awesome man!

I'm currently obese at 259 pounds (the profile says more because I'm sticking to inaccurate scales) I'm currently on 1500 cals/day which for me is about a 1750 deficit, I know it's quite steep but I feel fine so far.

My question is do you think it would e alright to have a once a week pigout on a Sunday? I can't always exactly log what we do but roughly 3000-3500 for the one day?

And also, I'd like to try and add some weight training but I have very limited equipment, only dumbells, not even a pull up bar, how can I make the most of what I've got?
  • minireeree
    minireeree Posts: 3
    Options
    Looking great!!!

I've not long started using MFP (2weeks) and just getting used to the way it all works.
    I've been on a diet and fitness journey for the last 8 weeks. I've done many things in the past to try lose weight, not eating, raspberry ketones, detox etc etc. Its always taken me a while to lose any weight.

I've been given 1200cals to eat every day by MFP. I'm doing at least 3 exercise days per week, this is mixed up by normal cardio, circuits, hill climbing, spinning, some weights, aerobics classes, and walking, as I thought this would give my body a challenge. I have noticed a huge improvement in my fitness, and loving it. But the lack of weight loss is a tad frustrating.

In the 8 weeks of watching what I'm eating and exercising I've actually put ON 5lbs :(((
    So last week I changed my macros so the protein was the higher one.

Do you have any suggestions how I can get the scales moving in the right direction?
    My problem areas are my thighs, hips, and *kitten*. lol, but ideally I want to tone all over.
    My exercise buddy has been doing the same as me, shes taller, but she has lost over a stone. I just don't know where I'm going wrong.
    What exercises should I be focusing on?
    Should I be eating back my exercise calories?
    Does it matter what the macros are set at?
    Should I be focusing on just diet, until i get to goal weight and then tone?

Just really needing help to get me going in the right direction............
    Any advice would be much appreciated :D
  • minireeree
    minireeree Posts: 3
    Options
    Sorry to be asking again, I sat last night and worked out my TDEE and BMR (had no idea what these were)
    Taking these in mind, what do you suggest to get the scales moving based on my previous questions?
    I had originally thought I was only to have 1200cals per day,
    I'm currently 175lbs, so my TDEE 2,100
    I then worked out my BMR based on my weight of 79.38kg, height 157.48 my age 33, and that I work out 3times per week.
    That then works out at 1,676. This is obviously a lot more than I have been consuming. Could this be affecting my weight loss?
    I'm new to all this, the terms used within fitness and nutrition.
    Hope this all makes sense?

Please can someone help.

Original post is just above^^
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Did you have periods of time where your loss was frustrating, slow, or even plateau?

This!

After 100+ weight loss, Ive been stuck for the past year at the same 150-155 range! Cant seem to drop below 150 and its so frustrating! >.<
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    awesome transformation dude, mad inspiring. my question is did you find it hard to transition into maintenance once you got dem abs?

i feel like im going to have a really tough time eating maintenance since ive been eating at a deficit for so long now, its going to be hard to accomplish without constantly worrying about gaining weight back
  • BigT555
    Options
    Congratulations, that's an amazing transformation. What do you think are the top 5 things that led to your success?
    1. Myfitnesspal of course. It wasn't until I began tracking my intake that my success really started to take off
    2. Understanding that "eating clean" is meaningless and that in order to have true life long success I had to eat foods I enjoyed (ice cream, cookies, etc) on a regular basis but in moderation
    3. Lifting heavy weights
    4. Not listening when people say "you lost enough already" or "you are getting too skinny"
    5. Learning as much about the science behind nutrition and dieting as possible. There is more pseudoscience and myths in this field then any other on earth! So much BS to cut through to find the truth.
    just read this and #4 hit home. have to hear this crap at least once a week, and i still have alot to lose. i dont understand why people think its okay to say this yet nobody says a thing when someone is gaining weight
  • BigT555
    Options
    also one last question, how important do you find it to reach your macro goals, and not just a calorie count? currently i just focus on total calorie intake and protein, but carbs and fats i dont track at all. i figure that if i get the proper amount of protein then its reasonable to assume that even if my carbs outweigh my fats or vice versa then im still in good shape nutrient wise.

is this correct or should i start puttin more emphasis into getting a proper carb/fat ratio?
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    bump for info later
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Impressive results and commitment, OP. Congrat!
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When you got to "that point" where only dropping BF% was going to show off all that hard work... what changes did you make?

I am looking to drop BF% and show off my "hard work" too!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Awesome work and amazing transformation!

Thanks for the great feedback, most of the questions I would have asked have been answered. I started with New Rules of Lifting but am actually switching to Stronglifts 5x5 after having a lazy winter. :laugh:
  • icydish
    icydish Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for accepting my friend request. I've cruised your diary and got a few ideas - especially salmon patties and babybel cheese. I've been cooking salmon the hard way - cedar plank on the grill. It's tasty that way, but I'm not always up for that sort of cook. Salmon patties will be a great alternative, especially if I can cook them sous vide.

I started dieting 3 weeks ago. Low carb for about a week and a half, then switched to a balanced diet after consulting with a nutritionist and having a resting metabolic assessment done. The goal is to eat at a 500 calorie deficit (30% carbs, 30% fats, 40% proteins) but am typically at a deficit of 500-900 calories on a given day. Still working on balancing the macros. I'm very overweight (~40% BMI), so my trainer feels I'm better off doing body weight exercises for now. My regiment is squats, bridge on floor, squat with rotation, cobra, two-arm row with squat, plank, lateral lunge to balance, supine lowering, step-up to balance, and side-lying iso abs. Right now, my goal is 3 sets of 15 reps per exercise except the plank and side-lying abs which are 15 seconds each. A couple of these exercises (supine lowering, step-up to balance) I cannot do to completion due to weakness or lack of coordination. Others, like squats and 2 arm rows with squats, I can do with capacity for more reps. When I'm done with 2-3 sets, I'm drenched with sweat so I feel I'm getting a good workout.

In your opinion, should I press my trainer to add lifting to this regiment?

I appreciate your sharing your experiences.

Sam
    I would say if your BMI is that high, what you are doing is okay to start. I would eventually transition in to more traditional lifting once you build a little bit of conditioning. As far as the diet, the nutritionist only has you at a 500 calorie deficit? That surprises me. I would think they would be comfortable with you losing weight a bit faster since you have so much weight to lose. They are the experts though, my degree is in healthcare but not in nutrition so I defer to them. It might be something I mention to them though.
    Hey m a girl
    I want to loose 40 lbs... I m beginner with this app. I am 19 yrs old n currently I weigh 170lbs. I can't go to gym
    But usually.for my exercise I either play 1 hour badminton or 1 hour walk
    With 1200 calories a day and this much exercise can I achieve my goal?
    If no then plz suggest something
    You can do anything you put your mind too. Your current regime is certainly a good starting place. Whether or not you will have to make alterations, time will tell. I would try and find some way to incorporate some lifting. Does your school have a workout room? If not I would at least do some body weight exercises 3 times a week (squats, pushups, sit ups, planks, etc).

Mo I dont have gym at my college...currently I am on 1200 calories pr day. Is it good?
    And I am thinking of joining some dance or zumba classes..as I am not into exercise and all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!