running stretches ?

Options
hi everyone. I want to start running this morning. I have never ran in my life. what kind of stretches should I do before hand? I don't want to pull something.

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    none...

you don't want to do any static stretching before a run. Some dynamic stretching as part of your warmup is all you need. Static stretching afterwards if you wish. Static stretching before a run actually increases your risk of injury.

I would also suggest, as you have never run in you life, that you start slow...maybe with just some walking/run-walking. Also, do you have the proper footwear? Not having the proper footwear can also cause problems. I strongly suggest getting your gate analyzed and professionally fitted at a running store. You don't want to be a pronator with neutral shoes for example...that'll cause issues.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    ok thank you!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Agreed - "stretching" cold muscles is a recipe for injury. Post-run stretching can be a help to keep you from locking up later, but is also unnecessary. I never do it unless I feel a particular tension in a muscle that I think needs to be worked out.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thanks for your help.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about having the right shoes for your feet/gait before you hit the road.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Don't stretch at all right before running as it is unnecessary and may increase injury risk. If you want to work on flexibility, etc try yoga.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    hi everyone. I want to start running this morning. I have never ran in my life. what kind of stretches should I do before hand? I don't want to pull something.
    Stretch before running and after is a must, don't stay with the style of warning up running slowly cause is wrong, and stretch after is against injuries, a big help for your ligaments!!

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    myaminals wrote: »
    Stretch before running and after is a must, don't stay with the style of warning up running slowly cause is wrong, and stretch after is against injuries, a big help for your ligaments!!

Before, no. Big no. A slow warm up jog (very slow) is best, with some buttkickers, Russians, high knees, etc. Works for Kenyans...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Stretch before running and after is a must

No it's not. Just start running and build in some dynamics if you feel the need. Static stretching increases injury risk and can reduce performance.