Does Total cereal taste good?

Options
I have an iron deficiency (my ferritin is 7.0) and I'm a very picky eater. I'm already getting over 100% iron in food but when I met with a nutritionist, she told me that just cause you eat over 100% iron in food doesn't mean your body absorbs all of it. So I need to be eating more.

I already eat a huge breakfast with 75% iron so I don't want to replace that. So I was thinking I could maybe have some Total cereal about an hour after breakfast with some strawberries and bananas on top. The serving size is 3/4 but even if I can only eat half of that, I'm still getting 50% more iron than I've been getting.

I'm just worried about the taste since I am a picky eater and that it might upset my stomach. Does Total cereal taste good? Would it be likely to upset my stomach even if I try it and don't like it but eat it anyway just to get the iron?

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't think it tastes wonderful, but there are at least five cereals that have as much or more iron

I've only had a box and it did not upset my stomach, but this was several years ago and I don't even remember the taste.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I think it's good but taste is subjective, what I think is good you may find gross so the best way to find out if it tastes good is to try it!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have an iron deficiency (my ferritin is 7.0) and I'm a very picky eater. I'm already getting over 100% iron in food but when I met with a nutritionist, she told me that just cause you eat over 100% iron in food doesn't mean your body absorbs all of it. So I need to be eating more.

I already eat a huge breakfast with 75% iron so I don't want to replace that. So I was thinking I could maybe have some Total cereal about an hour after breakfast with some strawberries and bananas on top. The serving size is 3/4 but even if I can only eat half of that, I'm still getting 50% more iron than I've been getting.

I'm just worried about the taste since I am a picky eater and that it might upset my stomach. Does Total cereal taste good? Would it be likely to upset my stomach even if I try it and don't like it but eat it anyway just to get the iron?

You can try it and if you don't care for it give the rest of the box to a friend.

http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/health-and-wellness/iron-rich-foods
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I agree that tastes are subjective, but I love it! I also will add some form of berries or banana slices on top of it for a little sweetness… but I love Total.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,965 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    just lick the bacon grease off the lodge, then your golden. :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How about just having an iron supplement instead of making yourself eat some particular foods you might not enjoy?