I Hate Myself Right Now...

Options
I have a weight problem. I have an eating addiction. I have a mental block. I don't like myself right now. I need help, I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy, I hate being fat. I just finished watching The Biggest Loser finale while eating sushi and tempura. My boyfriend has been trying for 15 years to help me lose weight and I am always sabotaging his efforts. I'm still the same weight I've been for the last 3 years! 169 pounds. I've dropped to 150 and then went right back up to 170, after telling myself I wouldn't. It's a vicious yo-yo. Just tonight, when he was showing me how to use the Health app, and I was half paying attention, he flipped my phone in disgust because i wasn't paying attention. Something ugly inside me clicked, I grabbed the phone and threw it at him. And then a few dog toys scattered on the ground. I wanted to hurt him, because someone I had deeply buried, that person that is convinced that I don't need to lose weight because I'm beautiful inside, that misguided person that keeps telling me I can start again tomorrow, that lazy person who is afraid of the hurt that comes with exercise. That person woke up and reared her ugly head, and I hate myself for letting her come out. Where are you? You, that person that wakes up willingly at 5:30am to run and sweat? That person that goes to Target and sees the overweight problem in this country and says "I won't be that person". Where are you, I need you!! Please, I hope you see this, I'm going to sleep now. My alarm is set to 5:30, I hope to see you when I wake up.

Replies

• Sam_the_Dark_Stallion
    Options
    Dear ... you are beautiful. . but your boyfriend wants you to live longer and healthier. .. that's why I decided to take back my life from the slow death I was heading towards.
  • SoCalMirna
    SoCalMirna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your words! Yes, until the last five years of my life, I did not realize that my being overweight was a problem. I learned that I need to change my lifestyle to live longer and be healthier, and there have been pockets of time that I've succeeded. And then that ugly person inside me gets tired of hiding and comes out with all the excuses in the world. She showed up again last night. And this morning she thought she could beat me, but she didn't. She might have tripped me a few time, but I won't let her get to me anymore. I can't, she has to be silenced, and she will be.
  • Kayray45
    Kayray45 Posts: 6 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I can feel your pain and I understand exactly what you are going through. I think for me....I get so tired of people and the world telling me what I should look like and weigh. Why can't someone just love me as I am? I finally had to come to the point where I am doing this for me and not anyone else. Is it easy? NO!!! I still struggle each and every day. Perhaps...if you start simple. For example....for me...I'm not tracking calories as much as I am focusing on "clean eating". 80/20. 80 percent clean eating and 20 percent processed foods. Gradually working that down even lower. Maybe then it won't feel like such a struggle for you and so much like a diet. I wish you all the best and Yes....you ARE a very beautiful woman...no matter what size you are. God bless.
  • jayhd777
    jayhd777 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Don't do this for anyone else, because that will never work. You need to want to do it for yourself...make yourself proud that YOU can succeed, YOU can so this. The determination is within you... And start on the path today, not tomorrow, TODAY....make them changes before it's too late... We are only here once,..
  • hafezalsayed
    hafezalsayed Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You can do it !!!! Just hit the gym
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi Sweety. Your post was a bit difficult for me to read. Because I feel as if I am on the opposite side of your struggle, though admittedly not as deep - yet.
    I am engaged to the love of my life and we have been together for almost 9 years now. In the past few years I've found a passion in health and fitness. My significant other not so much. We've always been a live-and-let-live couple. But I've seen him put on weight these past years and he has gone from being a normal healthy weight to just barely 'overweight' on the bmi scale. This in itself is not too horrifying in terms of health, but it has been a steady pattern over a long period of time. And I fear for what could happen down the road if things do not change. He is the only member of his immediate family that is not obese or morbidly obese. Yet.

I do not know your boyfriend or you. But I want you to know that for some people, the physical appearance of weight is not the issue. It is the fear that we may not get to live our lives to the happiest, healthiest, and fullest extent that we desire with that person. And whether the quality of life will even allow happiness.

I truly wish you the best on your health journey. Remember that true health and beauty is within.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    SoCalMirna wrote: »
    I have a weight problem. I have an eating addiction. I have a mental block. I don't like myself right now. I need help, I want to lose weight, I want to be healthy, I hate being fat. I just finished watching The Biggest Loser finale while eating sushi and tempura. My boyfriend has been trying for 15 years to help me lose weight and I am always sabotaging his efforts. I'm still the same weight I've been for the last 3 years! 169 pounds. I've dropped to 150 and then went right back up to 170, after telling myself I wouldn't. It's a vicious yo-yo. Just tonight, when he was showing me how to use the Health app, and I was half paying attention, he flipped my phone in disgust because i wasn't paying attention. Something ugly inside me clicked, I grabbed the phone and threw it at him. And then a few dog toys scattered on the ground. I wanted to hurt him, because someone I had deeply buried, that person that is convinced that I don't need to lose weight because I'm beautiful inside, that misguided person that keeps telling me I can start again tomorrow, that lazy person who is afraid of the hurt that comes with exercise. That person woke up and reared her ugly head, and I hate myself for letting her come out. Where are you? You, that person that wakes up willingly at 5:30am to run and sweat? That person that goes to Target and sees the overweight problem in this country and says "I won't be that person". Where are you, I need you!! Please, I hope you see this, I'm going to sleep now. My alarm is set to 5:30, I hope to see you when I wake up.

I have "That Person," too. She always tries to make things harder and more complicated than they need to be. I've discovered you can't get bury "That Person." She always comes back. But you can make a deal with her. Tell That Person that she can eat what she wants, but YOU decide how MUCH she gets to eat of that pizza or cake. Tell that Lazy Person She has to exercise, but only for 15 minutes (She almost always lets you keep going once you get started!) That Person who says "I won't be this person?" Ask her who She WILL be, and start being her.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know -- it sucks. Those people that can eat what they want drive me insane. That will never be me either. You just have to accept it and go forward. Be glad you have someone that cares about you. I've lost 130 pounds before and still wasn't happy...it's a whole self esteem/body image thing. Now I have over 130 pounds to lose and I'm nearing 60 years old. You can do this!!! We all can! And, everyone feels the same way. It's not easy to learn to like/love yourself. Try focusing on the things that you like about yourself...don't tell me there's none -- I know there is! Hang in there. Message me anytime. You're not alone.
  • MyDogsLoveMe
    MyDogsLoveMe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The only way I could lose weight was to love myself. The only way I could love myself is to say repeatedly over, and over, and over in my head the mantra "I love myself" then I changed my mantra to "I love myself, and I love my body" mixed in with "I love myself, and my body loves me." The desire to lose weight was replaced by the desire to take care of myself. This mantra changed all of my relationships, and my perception on life.
    Loving oneself and compassion for ones body is an amazing gift. I had to lie in the beginning when I chanted this mantra while doing other mindless task. Then it became the truth, and I decided to try it with my body, and it became the truth. It healed my past of being brutally bullied in school for obesity, and other issues. It healed my relationship with others because I was less attached to them as being a source of love, and became my own source of love. People responded unconsciously to the energy I put out (probably facial expression I didn't know I was making changed), and treated me so much better.
    I did this and then lost 50 lbs easily with enthusiasm and joy. It's worth a try while driving, or cleaning, or walking, or even shopping. I felt stupid at first, but I now know the genius of what I did.
    It gets better, and I hope it works out for your greatest good.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I am 62 and have been fighting this my whole life. This is what I hope will be my final effort. Unfortunately, as I am slimming down (15 pounds since January 5th) I realize my body will not be that lean 40 year old I once was. Yes, I'm getting stronger, the fat is slowing going away, but what is left are wrinkles and saggy skin. I do feel and look better, as good as I can expect for my age. You, however, have a chance to do this now while you are young so hopefully when you reach my age you won't be going through this struggle. Your strength has to come from within. You are beautiful now...I can see the radiance that will shine through when you can look at yourself and see that.
  • zgiarc
    zgiarc Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You can do this! I can relate to all of what you said. The thing that I have learned over the last 2 months on here is that YOU have to want to do it for YOURSELF. Others can help you, guide you, and keep you motivated, but you have to be selfish and want to accomplish this for yourself. You have to want to do it for you today, tomorrow, and for the improved quality of life that you will have 20, 30, 40 years from now.

With me I've learned the unhappiness with myself on the inside caused the weight gain on the outside. I had excuse after excuse not to start or not to stick with something. I would blame this situation or that person for my problems. Now that I kind of understand that, and accept that, I am responsible for my health and whether or not I lose weight it seems like it has become easier to stick with it.
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    This may sound hard to hear but just from the few things you mentioned it sounds like to don't know how to complete things... You are okay with doing things but always to a certain point..

*You're listening but not giving undivided attention
    *You've been in a long term relationship but not married (that may be your choice tho)
    *You lose weight but only to a certain point.
    *You love the inside you but not the outside you

I say these things because I recognize the signs clearly because it was once me. This is much deeper than weight. Like 'mydogslove..' said in her post, You have to love yourself. I've learned that the weight loss journey is not just about shedding weight..it's about shedding hate too. Figuring out why did I get to this point --- that way you fix it -PERMANENTLY-

I wish you much luck and success. :)
  • SoCalMirna
    SoCalMirna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! I feel so grateful for all these comments, for the stories shared, for the perspectives from the other side of my struggle. It truly does give me strength and motivation, and it has for sure made my day!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I am happy to exercise regularly but you will never find me setting my alarm for 5.30am! Unless you're a morning person who gets up early anyway you're setting yourself up for failure doing that in my opinion, plus exercise itself shouldn't really hurt.
  • julesrules611
    julesrules611 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is so heart-wrenching
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I don't just hate myself right now. I hate myself all the time. I also have similar weight loss issues. I started at 180 lbs, eventually got down to 152 for my wedding, and now I'm back up to 170. My goal is 125 and I'm 5'6". It's a daily struggle to silence the voices of self hatred and just DO it. Just follow a diet plan and exercise. Maybe someday we will learn to love ourselves but until then we just have to do what we need to do. Cheers.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    It's been my experience that unless you want it bad enough, it's always going to be an issue. You can overcome any addiction if you put your mind to it. That may sound like I think it's easy to do, and having smoked for 22 years before I quit 5+ years ago I can tell you that it's not simply an "easy" thing to do. But when you want it bad enough, you can do it. You're the only person that can make the choice.

If, however, you're being pressured into losing weight and found yourself here because of that direct pressure, it may not work in the end unless you decide it's something that you personally want. You'll only resent the people pressuring you because dieting isn't something you just do for a while and be done with it. It takes a new lifestyle and a new way of thinking, eating, and exercising that you're not accustomed to. It is going to take a lot of time, may even be painful and uncomfortable, and in the end will make you a different person than you are today.

So if you're still here after reading these, and want to keep with it, I suggest starting by logging, setting your goals lightly, and exercising. Increase the exercising and dieting/calorie goals as you go and as you feel more comfortable with them. If something doesn't work, change it. Remember, this is a journey, and a long one at that.

I started in January of 2015. Gave up several times that month, and finally began to log and exercise daily on Feb. 14th, 2015. Today I am down 104 lbs, have gained weight over a period of weeks and lost weight fast as well. I even managed to injure myself by over training twice this last year (as in injured my back). But I didn't let any of that stop me. I figure my own personal journey won't be complete until year 2 is over (body re-composition mostly now) but even after that I'll have to learn to eat at maintenance calories, and how to maintain my current level of fitness and weight. It'll be rough, and I don't expect it to be without failure. But I am committed. I am also still addicted to chocolate, ice cream, etc. I simply found ways to moderate those foods and eat healthier versions. Some days I even exercise harder just so I can have them without derailing my weight loss. Whatever works is what it takes. But I could not have done any of it unless I personally wanted to change.
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You have to work in your head before you can lose weight
    Have you have counselling ?
  • pickle_button
    pickle_button Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I can help you fix this.
    Message me if you'd like.
    I get it, I've been there, and I'm there again.
    You just need one person to respect and be accountable to.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When my husband tries to get me to lose weight I sabotage as well.

Part of it is that I don't like being told what to do. I'm an adult and I don't want to be treated like a child.

Old that be part of your response?