Daily Healthy Habits Challenge for March

Options
newbie2143
newbie2143 Posts: 328 Member
edited March 2016 in Challenges
"Who wants to join us in taking the focus off the scale and onto the things that actually make the numbers on it move?" - @Julipax
First off, I have to say, this challenge was completely someone else's idea... All the credit to @Julipax, who started this in January. I'm carrying it on, because we're not too sure where you went @Julipax, and because this board you started has been so helpful to so many of us!

The idea is simple. Successful weight loss happens when you focus on the day to day behaviours that support your health. All you do is check in daily on how you are doing with your "Healthy Habits". Feel free to copy the habits below or customize to include the healthy habits you think are important to you on your journey. We also include current struggles and successes to help reflect on what is working and what is not working for us!!

Welcome to all new contributors, and tagging in contributors who posted more than once last month: @Julipax @bellew62802 @Captain_Boing @lemonychild @White_hibiscus @ameerah3333 @ceelou52 @shannan8 @megggpie94 @jppiehl @mollybethtaylor @gaminaltime @alp_19 @meghanfleming555

Date: 3/1 (reporting for 2/29)

Stayed under/at calorie goal: yes
Exercised: yes, 30 mins bike. [or you could list exercise calories burned]
Vitamin: Yes

(Other goals have been about drinking a certain amount of water, consuming healthy fats, consuming dairy, practicing meditation, avoiding snacks when not hungry, etc.)

Goal weight for 4/1: 134 (1.5 lbs/week)
Current weight week of 3/1: 140.5
Gain/loss vs last week: -1.0

Current struggles: Forecasted blizzard tonight, not really interested in exercising! I suppose I own a treadmill for a reason...

Current strengths: Feeling confident as I have lost 11.5 lbs since New Year's. By the end of this month if all goes well, I should be really close to my ultimate goal weight!

Replies

• bellew62802
    bellew62802 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Date::3/1
    Stayed under calorie goal: yes
    Vitamins/meds: yes
    Water 8+: yes
    Exercise: 60 minutes treadmill and stationary bike. Crunches

Goal weight for 4/1: 165
    Current weight: 169.2
    Gain/loss vs last week: same

Current struggles: Allergies. Mother Nature is all kinds of screwed up and there are buds on the trees creating...tree pollen. My eyes and sinuses are so irritated that I feel kind of miserable.

Current Strengths: Allergy meds and eye drops :smile:
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Also,
    @newbie2143 , thank you for carrying this challenge over to March!
    @Juliepax, where are you?
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I will post regularly once I'm allowed to start training again...
  • newbie2143
    Options
    ^take as long as you need, @CaptainBoing, be well!
  • newbie2143
    Options
    Date: 3/2 (reporting for 3/1)

Exercised: No, couldn't do it.... But today I get double.... Headed out to shovel half a foot of snow off my driveway, then to the pool later today.

Current struggles: Back to the cold weather. Didn't get as much snow as was predicted at least..... @bellew62802 , I commiserate with you on the allergies, although it gives me hope that somewhere in the world spring is starting to show!

Current strengths: Nothing new.... Just relying on the usual - daily logging, being active (yes, I will do this today!), checking in with this MFP community!
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Date:3/2 (reporting for present day)
    Vitamins/ meds: yes
    Water 8+: no
    Exercise: no had a couple of doc appts plus one for grandson

Goal Weight by 4/1: 165
    Current Weight:169.2

Current Struggles: Same for needing sleep

Current Strengths: Tired now so going to hit the hay.

@newbie2143 glad to hear blizzard wasn't too awful bad. We are expected to get 3 inches of snow overnight. Ugh!!
  • newbie2143
    Options
    Date: 3/3 (reporting for 3/2)

Exercised: Yes! Shoveled 80 minutes (there was closer to 9" of snow out there!) PLUS 40 mins swimming

Current struggles: succumbed to a sugar craving, but managed to stay in calorie goal.
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Date:3/3 (reporting for present day)
    Exercise: 83 minutes treadmill and I kept myself in check . I didn't turn my walk into a jog thankfully as I have arthritis in my hip. So, jogging is a no no for me now. Loved the burn I felt today on treadmill inclined at 10 (max) @ 3.5 mph.

Current Struggles: I need to keep a better eye on macros. I get "your sugar or sodium levels are blah blah" when I press complete entry in my food diary.

Current Strengths: Knowing this and being able to do something about it without having to go get blood work etc.

@newbie2143 , you did get pounded with the snow eh? I am sure you burned off more cals than you took in yesterday!

@CaptainBoing, hope you are recovering well!
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Date: 3/1

Exercised: yes p90x
    Vitamin: no

Goal weight for 4/1: 169
    Current weight week of 3/1: 166.8
    Gain/loss vs last week: 3lbs
  • newbie2143
    edited March 2016
    Options
    ^Hi White_hibiscus, nice to hear from you again!

Date: 3/4 (reporting for 3/3)

Stayed under/at calorie goal: Yes
    Exercised: No. No excuse, really.... Taking inspiration from @bellew62802 and @White_hibiscus & will head to the pool today.

Current struggles: Feeling a little stalled at my current weight. This is affecting my motivation to exercise, even though I know rationally that is the key to breaking through a plateau. Just need to keep at it. I haven't been under 140 since my second child was born, and he turns 15 in a few months! It will be a big deal to get there.... whenever that is.

Current strengths: I know that the first 11 lbs came off doing what I am doing now.... Need to practice what I preach, which is patience, and remember that I have nothing but time ahead of me to get where I want to go. The weather is supposed to really warm up next week, so I know I will want to be outside doing things soon.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Went for a very short walk with a friend and was nauseous for over three hours after. Guess that was too much too soon! This is incredibly frustrating... I will start logging food from tomorrow as I know I need to log to keep strict when I can't train. I have been told that I need 6 months off any kind of thing that could injure my head again, so no full contact fighting, no judo at all until September! I can gradually return to non contact exercise in the next week or two depending on when my symptoms are gone. Basically once I am symptom free I need 10-14 days before I can exercise. Oh, and I need to have a carotid ultrasound to check due to the fact that I hyperventilated on the day! Considering how much time I spend training, this is very frustrating. Once I am allowed to exercise I can keep busy with non contact so that won't be too bad, but getting to that point is going to be challenging!
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Date:3/4 (reporting for present day)
    Exercise: 70 minutes stationary bike & elliptical. Various ab crunches and stretching

Current Struggles: Reviewed my sodium intake and MAN do I need work on it! Way too high! Has to be directly in the foods,sauce,etc as I do not add salt to my food and barely use it in my own cooking.

Current Strengths: Having this site for guidance when I can't see or realize my actual intake in macros.

@White_hibiscus, so awesome to see you!

@CaptainBoing, I def can hear and feel your frustration. Try keep reminding yourself that this isn't forever. Healing will come as will the day you can take part in non contact exercise. Wishing for a speedy recovery!

@newbie2143, I hear ya on the patience with a plateau. One thing that comes to mind: You pushed through the wall to lose 11 lbs and we all know that plateauing is common so you have encountered another wall. Things are different now as you have learned to eat healthier leading to changing macros, metabolism through diet and exercise....it is finding yet again what works and gives you that Ummmphhh that helps you push through that next wall. I know that is helping me and your kind words when I felt I was losing my stamina. That P word is so trying eh?
  • newbie2143
    Options
    ^ thanks @bellew62802 , I'm still working on finding the Ummmphhh, but the better weather later this week will definitely help!

Date: 3/5 (reporting for 3/4)

Stayed under/at calorie goal: Maybe? Had a lovely dinner with the neighbors that included wine and appetizers - lost track of what I ate. Will set me back a bit on wt. loss goals but WORTH IT! :)
    Exercised: Yes - 1400 m swimming (front crawl)

Gain/loss vs last week: tbd Tuesday

Current struggles: Well, I fell off the food tracking wagon last night. Back on track today. Still working on not feeling defeated with the plateau, it makes me do things like get off track with eating and exercise. Today has been a good day so far...

Current strengths: Still believe in myself, despite the recent setbacks. Will break through this plateau eventually.
  • White_hibiscus
    Options
    I been extremely absent. I'll be posting at the end of the day today!

Thanks for a fantastic support guys!

• bellew62802
    Options
    Date:3/5 (reporting for present day)
    Water 8+: 7
    Exercise: Rest day

Current Struggles: Craving chocolate...

Current Strength: Did't have any in the house! Lol!
  • newbie2143
    Options
    Date: 3/5 (reporting for 3/4)

Stayed under/at calorie goal: YES (but ate some of my exercise calories)
    Exercised: YES - 5.5 km run + 35 minute bike
    Vitamin: YES
    Practiced meditation: YES
    (using all caps there for motivation, lol)

Gain/loss vs last week: tbd Tuesday

Current struggles: Motivation struggles, mostly.... But feel like that is getting better again.

Current strengths: Recognizing it's OK not to be perfect. Being able to be honest on this board about when I fall short of my goals helps with getting back on track sooner... So thanks for being there, everyone!

• MegK805
    MegK805 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found a healthy recipe for olive oil crackers that I hope will provide a good alternative for an afternoon snack.
  • bellew62802
    Options
    Date:3/6 (reporting for present day)
    Exercise: 76 minutes stationary bike. Crunches and stretching

Gain/loss vs last week: weigh in tomorrow

Current Struggles: EE today on Doritos. Triggers are stress.

Current Strengths: Used to have my outlet for stress but that habit has been kicked over 9 years ago....smoking. So food had become my vice. Started therapy a few weeks ago to learn better coping skills. Helpful so far.
  • bellew62802
    Options
    @MegK805, share recipe please. Sounds yummy.

@newbie2143, my sentiments exactly with what you wrote in your "current strengths".
  • White_hibiscus
    Options
    Date:3/6
    Vitamins/ meds: yes!
    Water 8+: yes!
    Exercise: walk my two beautiful dogs 250cal

Goal Weight by 4/1: 159
    Current Weight:166
    Gain/loss vs last week: same:/ I keep eating garbage

Current struggle: finding new recipes I like