C25k next step?

Options
ssakcik
ssakcik Posts: 121 Member
edited May 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I've just finished week 8 of c25k (active app). Only one week left. Feeling proud of myself for getting this far but unsure of the next step. Today I ran 2 miles (total distance with the 10 mins. warm up and cool down was 2.68 miles).
So my question is where do I go next? I've downloaded the 10k app (active) but I'm not sure I'm ready for that one... My running pace is rather slow and I'm not sure about the tempo runs lol. Ive also downloaded the Zen lab one and am thinking that that might be a better next step as it goes back to intevals. Also it doesn't have tempo runs, at least not for the first 5 weeks I looked at. Alternatively do I just use the free run part of the active app to build up distance and pace? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I used the Zen Labs plan, which worked reasonably well for me.

I did find hat running out to 60 minutes improved my shorter distance speed quite a bit.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've moved onto the schedule within the Zombies, Run! app (10k training). The longer runs are distance measured rather than time, which means I can be as slow as I like, but still meet a distance target. The shorter runs still have a couple of intervals, but I find myself running a bit further at times, and have to almost stop myself from burning out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Do you enjoy running?

After I ran 5k I ran a bit longer a couple times and it was obvious this was heading toward a 10k. Now I'm interested in running a faster mile. I guess everybody wants to do that...
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @northcascades I love running and I think I'm more interested in further than faster lol so I think that 10k is where it's headed.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @girlinahat will check that one out too. Thanks
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last week of c25k, got one more workout and then I'm done. I am using the Zen Labs app, which focuses more on time than distance, so I can run for 30 minutes but not necessarily 3 miles, since I am pretty slow. My goal once I finish c25k is to get myself to 3 miles, then work a little bit on speed. After I feel comfortable enough with 3 miles, then I will probably go to the 10k app (though I might choose a different app than Zen Labs).
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @respectthekitty thank you. That's winds where I was thinking of going... Not so sure how to work on the speed part... Do I do shorter and faster rund or intervals? I've been using the Active c25k app which I really like. I've downloaded both the Active and the Zen lab 10k app... They're slightly different in their approach.. Active starts with 1 or 2 weeks of times runs and then it's intervals of jogging and tempo or fast runs... I'm just not sure I'm ready for that. Had a quick look at the Zombies one but not sure about that one...
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    You get faster by running more. Don't try to run faster, just put in plenty of miles. As you do that, you're improving your aerobic capacity, which is going to let you go faster when the time is right. Every now and then I do a shorter run to see how fast I can go but the gains come from just doing it a lot.
  • smiles4jo
    smiles4jo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'm still in the middle of c25k (week 6), so certainly no expert. However, someone told me that if I wanted to improve my speed, that I once I'm comfortable with running for 30 minutes, I could start back at the beginning of c25k. The 60 second runs will be a piece of cake by then, so your speed will also improve.

Obviously, have done it myself, but the logic made sense.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    Thank you @smiles4no
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @northcascades that's great advise. Thank you. How do you record your runs?
  • ssakcik
    Options
    By the way. Love your name. I've been reading books about thru-hiking the PCT which must be in your neighbourhood
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I have a Garmin Fenix 3 watch. It has GPS, so I press a button to start an activity, select run out of a menu, then hit start again when I begin, and stop when I end. It uploads to the web automatically through my phone. Here's what it looks like:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1184446043
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1174509757
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1164644001

One feature I really like is that it will find the fastest mile in every run I do. So I have my mile splits, but maybe I warmed up for a bit and then sped up, so maybe the fastest mile I ran was from 1.2 to 2.2 and I can't see it in my splits.
  • edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I was doing c25k and decided to try a 5k in the middle of the program-- ran the whole thing under my goal time :mrgreen: I decided I'd like to try running a 10k so I started training for that and found that my mile time got faster as I trained for distance. In the past when I've tried to run to improve speed I've gotten frustrated and given up.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @edixon127 that's great advise. Thank you. Think that will suit me better than trying to run faster asap. Thank you.
    @northcascades will check it out although I haven't got the money atm but I can see myself investing in one. Atm I just use an app on my phone but it's not as reliable.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I don't think there's anything wrong with a phone app. I got mine for a lot of reasons and most of them don't have to do with running, I won't bore you with all the details. But there are lots of options.
  • ssakcik
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The phone app works fine for me atm except when you get home and realise it stopped working 1/2 way through. Only happened once though. Can see myself investing in one though if I keep running. Christmas pressie maybe lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ssakcik wrote: »
    Not so sure how to work on the speed part...

Until you're able to run for an hour you have little point in doing speedwork

Fast intervals, cruise intervals and tempo sessions build on a solid aerobic base.

For me, the biggest gains to my 5K time came from increasing to 10K, I continued to make progress up to HM but not as great. As I'm doing marathon and longer at the moment I'm doing minimal speedwork so I've only knocked another minute off my 5K time in the last couple of months.
  • ssakcik
    Options
    @meandringmammal thank you for the advise. That's good to know. I'll move onto increasing my distance after having finished c25k. Will have another look at 10k apps. I do like following an app as it motivates me.
  • JButlerEagle
    JButlerEagle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the good info here. I did Week 7 Day 1 and was wondering about the speed as I'm meeting time but not distance right now. (25 minutes of running was only 2 miles, not 2.5). Looks like I just keep cranking and the speed will increase...