Replies

• mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Sara1791 wrote: »
    These are measurements for volume.
    1 cup is 8 oz
    eta: oh! and if anyone is wondering, a measuring cup is eight fluid ounces, not weighed ounces.
    For a quick approximation, 1 cup is about equal to .25 liter.

If we want to get technical the liquid measuring cups are not the same as dry measuring cups.
    Myself, I weigh measured liquid portions and stick to the gram weight. I hate dragging out a bunch of measuring tools!
    https://cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5450-dry-versus-liquid-measuring-cups

Unless you're Australian. Where a standard measuring cup sizes are the same for weight and volume, but still different to the US:

1 cup = 250mL
    4 cups = 1 Litre
    1 tablespoon = 15mL
    1 tsp = 5mL

Yay for the metric system!

Mine is also related to food metrics. Americans, what the *goshdarnkitten* is a stick of butter? No where else uses it. I have no idea what it is. Related to this is volume-based amounts of butter. 1/4 cup of butter? So I'm meant to smoosh the butter into the quarter cup (which may be a different volume to yours) and then try and scrape it all out with as little residue in the cup as possible? I don't care if it's ounces or grams since my scale can do both, for the worlds sake, give us values in weights.

The other thing I hate at the moment is pedestrians who either:

a) don't know how to walk straight and keep to one side of the footpath, or
    b) think its fine to stop dead in a peak hour crowd with people still walking behind them (I may have kneed a guy in the junk by accident because of it this morning, and the *kitten* tried to say it was all my fault).
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Mine is also related to food metrics. Americans, what the *goshdarnkitten* is a stick of butter? No where else uses it. I have no idea what it is. Related to this is volume-based amounts of butter. 1/4 cup of butter?

Stick of butter:

butter_stick-ps-03.jpg

As you can see 1/4 cup is about half the stick. You just cut it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1 cup is 8 oz
    eta: oh! and if anyone is wondering, a measuring cup is eight fluid ounces, not weighed ounces.

If we want to get technical the liquid measuring cups are not the same as dry measuring cups.
    Myself, I weigh measured liquid portions and stick to the gram weight. I hate dragging out a bunch of measuring tools!

Unless you're Australian. Where a standard measuring cup sizes are the same for weight and volume, but still different to the US:

1 cup = 250mL
    4 cups = 1 Litre
    1 tablespoon = 15mL
    1 tsp = 5mL

Mine is also related to food metrics. Americans, what the *goshdarnkitten* is a stick of butter? No where else uses it. I have no idea what it is. Related to this is volume-based amounts of butter. 1/4 cup of butter? So I'm meant to smoosh the butter into the quarter cup (which may be a different volume to yours) and then try and scrape it all out with as little residue in the cup as possible? I don't care if it's ounces or grams since my scale can do both, for the worlds sake, give us values in weights.

b) think its fine to stop dead in a peak hour crowd with people still walking behind them (I may have kneed a guy in the junk by accident because of it this morning, and the *kitten* tried to say it was all my fault).

And to any Brits, "8 ounces" will not be the same as an American sized cup because, despite a persistent habit that has crept onto the Internet of calling American customary units "Imperial", they actually aren't. It's the pre-metric British units that are Imperial, and the most noticeable difference between the two is in measures of volume. An Imperial fluid ounce is smaller than an American fluid ounce. However, the Imperial pint (of 20 oz) is larger than the American pint (of 16 oz) and so are all bigger units. The Imperial gallon is about 20% larger than an American gallon.

And a standard American stick of butter is 1/4 lb (113g), about 1/2 cup (American) in terms of volume.
  • keanesonia7
    keanesonia7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ..that we have to sleep! So much to do, see and be. We have a lot to appreciate and look forward to. Get off the couch, out of social media and talk to someone F2F. Enjoy being near someone and watch their expressions. See them. Listen. Wonder and explore.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    1 cup is 8 oz

1 cup = 250mL
    4 cups = 1 Litre
    1 tablespoon = 15mL
    1 tsp = 5mL

An Australian tablespoon is actually 20 mL... Just to make life difficult.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    1 cup is 8 oz

1 cup = 250mL
    4 cups = 1 Litre
    1 tablespoon = 15mL
    1 tsp = 5mL

An Australian tablespoon is actually 20 mL... Just to make life difficult.

really?

*googles Aus tablespoon*

I stand corrected. Every tablespoon in my house is 15mL. All bought from Australian stores. And that means 4 teaspoons to a tablespoon instead of 3, because our teaspoon is still 5mL...

6kf8gssso6kh.gif

Earth needs a universal measurement system, stat.
    Mine is also related to food metrics. Americans, what the *goshdarnkitten* is a stick of butter? No where else uses it. I have no idea what it is. Related to this is volume-based amounts of butter. 1/4 cup of butter?

Stick of butter:

butter_stick-ps-03.jpg

As you can see 1/4 cup is about half the stick. You just cut it.

Except we don't get butter in sticks, they come in 250g / 500g pats. And the only metric measurements on that package are in mLs, so there's no gram conversion. I wish there was a vote button so I could find out if people actually measure butter in mLs. Not to mention that I'm sure the density of solid vs liquid butter would be different...

My head hurts...
  • abrubru
    abrubru Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Parents who get upset with teachers because their child is failing a high school class when the parent refuses to send the child to school because they have to walk in the snow.

Teaching metric measure to American students merely for the purpose of Science class.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    mskimee wrote: »
    Recipes that don't give specific measurements!! No offence to the Americans on here, but what the **** is a cup?? How big of a cup? And a "dash" of soy sauce could be anything from a teaspoon full to a full on tidal wave. And there are times that google won't help at all, it gives you different weights for a cup measurement. :D

1 cup is 8 oz
    3/4 cup is 6 oz
    1/2 cup is 4 oz
    1/3 cup is 2 1/3 oz
    1/4 cup is 2 oz
    Then you get into Tablespoons and teaspoons which are 1 oz and less.

Some people like to use measuring cups and some like to weigh. I prefer to use a food scale and weigh out everything in grams. I only use measuring cups if my scale is broken. I will add, sometimes depending on the density of a certain item the weight may not be 8 oz for a cup.

n8l0hairag1i.jpg

You meant liquid ounces, right? Because '8 liquid ounces' will be just as useless for a French person than 'a cup', lol.

Because 1 cup is definitely not always 8oz of solids. Weights /= volumes.

I also dislike cup measurements in recipes and would rather use an English or French recipe whenever possible (or King Arthur).

This is a much better conversion table of volume/weights but it's still completely off for some recipes (I tried 120g of flour for one cup for bread once... total disaster)

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/learn/ingredient-weight-chart.html
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You meant liquid ounces, right? Because '8 liquid ounces' will be just as useless for a French person than 'a cup', lol.

Because 1 cup is definitely not always 8oz of solids. Weights /= volumes.

That's right. And confusingly, the American and Imperial systems use the same unit names for both small volumes and small weights. Very few people say "fluid ounces" when they mean the measure of volume; you have to infer which is meant from context. The cups pictured here technically measure fluid ounces, but they're designed as dry volume measures to be overfilled and then leveled off with a knife, that being how you get the most accurate amounts.

But measurement of certain solids by volume, like flour, works well enough most of the time. It's the larger-grained things like cold cereal that's likely to be significantly off. (Although it is true that measurement by weight is more accurate in all cases, particularly with modern digital scales.)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    People who just want to do nothing and then complain about their weight.

This. This drives me crazy. I run a weight loss competition type thing on Whatsapp (nothing big, just a bunch of friends trying to motivate each other) and my sister asked me if a friend of hers could join, so I agreed. So I add her in, and the conversation goes something like this:

Me: So, what sort of plan are you trying out to lose weight? Person A here is using low-carb, Person B is counting calories, Person C is (etc)...

New person: Wait, a plan? I don't have a plan.

Me: So how are you going to go about losing weight? Are you going to create a deficit by eating less? Maybe doing some exercise?

New person: But I don't WANT to eat less. And I'm too lazy to exercise. But I want to lose 10 kg...

Me: ... -goes off into a private chat with my sister and threatens to feed her to alligators for subjecting me to this-

As frustrating as this may be, this really gets at the heart of why people are obese. No one wants to be overweight, but they have trouble convincing themselves to do the things they need to do to lose weight. If we could figure out how to help people do that, the world would be a lot thinner.
  • izerop
    izerop Posts: 69 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I hate when I go to add food to my diary and it doesn't have grams as an option for serving size. But since I have got this memorized:

1 oz ~= 28.5 grams
    8 oz ~= 228 grams
    1tbsp~= 15 grams
    1tsp ~= 5 grams

And I get that that won't work for all liquids as some are more dense, (like honey/butter, etc), but it holds up to be pretty close for most water based things.