Trying to get my abs to start showing

Options
Been lifting weights and doing core work for 3 months. Lost the weight that I needed to and just having a bad week thinking that nothing is really showing on my abs. My back arms and upper body are getting bigger. But no sign of abs yet.

Replies

• john3064
    john3064 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All so like to add that I have lost a stone and look and feel leaner
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You haven't lost the weight you need to to see your abs. Lose more weight and they'll show eventually
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Seeing your abs is down this path you're travelling. I had to get to 13% BF or so before they started, that's about the number for most people. Lifting totally helps. Lifting plus reduced body fat will get the job done, but they're kind of opposite each other in terms of calorie deficit vs surplus, so it's a balance.
  • john3064
    john3064 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The pick on my profile is a month old I have lost a couple of pound but trying not to look at myself in mirror as I have been told it can depress you in to thinking your not going in right direction
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    john3064 wrote: »
    The pick on my profile is a month old I have lost a couple of pound but trying not to look at myself in mirror as I have been told it can depress you in to thinking your not going in right direction

You've got to keep doing what you're doing, it'll take time, but it will work. You may plateau and have to reduce calories again, but you'll get there. Steady as she goes.

• tomwasilj3w
    tomwasilj3w Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Yup, as everyone here is saying you need to lower your body fat percentage. Count your calories, start eatting cleaner, and HIT THAT CARDIO! If you want faster results then diet and do lots of cardio to burn off your fat.

Best of luck to you.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    If your abs aren't showing, it's because you still have too much body fat covering them.

^This.

If you've already lost all of the weight you want to lose, then you need to recomp.

I lost 36 # from 196 to 160 and got down to 16% BF in 6 mo b4 I even began to see a shadow of my abs and it took me another 5 months to lose 12# of BF and gain 12# of LBM to get to 10% BF at 158# to achieve the defined abs that I have now.

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    john3064 wrote: »

abs are great and all but is that really the end all be all for you?

At my leanest I was about 12-14% and while you could start to see my abs they did not really "pop" more than likely due to genetics. Since then I have decided that it is easier for me to hover around 15-17% body fat, because I like to eat and have the occasional, or not so occasional alcoholic beverage.

I guess my point is this, are abs going to make your life any better? I am pretty sure that the answer is no, so don't get all depressed because they are not showing. I am not saying that it is not a good goal to have, I am just saying don't let it run your life...

Nick

Would 100% agree with this @john3064 . Before I came on here over 3 years ago, I had stupidly wanted to get abs but wasnt eating right and was way too skinny. Since coming on here, mindset has changed and as long as I have a strong core from working out and doing Pilates, that is all I am looking for because abs arent the be all and end all. Dont let the pursuit of abs take over your life.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »
    Before I came on here over 3 years ago, I had stupidly wanted to get abs but wasnt eating right and was way too skinny. Since coming on here, mindset has changed and as long as I have a strong core from working out and doing Pilates, that is all I am looking for because abs arent the be all and end all. Dont let the pursuit of abs take over your life.

You can acquire defined abs without being obsessed with the goal of getting them.

I acquired mine by means of weight/fat loss combined with compound weight lifting (only SQT, DL, BP and OHP), compound body weight exercises (mainly pushups, pullups and dips) and cardio (mainly rowing and some spin biking) without "getting" abs as my primary objective.

My objective was simply weight loss and strength gain.

As soon as my BF dropped enough, the abs just magically "appeared" because my core had already been well developed in the process. This work also revealed clearly defined serratus muscles for the first time as well.

I didn't do anything special and didn't do a single sit-up, crunch or ab specific exercise. Just diet control with an emphasis on high protein intake (40% macro; .8-1g per # BW) and the aforementioned exercises.

I truly believe that anyone with the same level of dedication and discipline can do it too.

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Before I came on here over 3 years ago, I had stupidly wanted to get abs but wasnt eating right and was way too skinny. Since coming on here, mindset has changed and as long as I have a strong core from working out and doing Pilates, that is all I am looking for because abs arent the be all and end all. Dont let the pursuit of abs take over your life.

You can acquire defined abs without being obsessed with the goal of getting them.

I acquired mine by means of weight/fat loss combined with compound weight lifting (only SQT, DL, BP and OHP), compound body weight exercises (mainly pushups, pullups and dips) and cardio (mainly rowing and some spin biking) without "getting" abs as my primary objective.

As soon as my BF dropped enough, the abs just magically "appeared" because my core had already been well developed in the process. This work also revealed clearly defined serratus muscles for the first time as well.

I didn't do anything special and didn't do a single sit-up, crunch or ab specific exercise. Just diet control with an emphasis on high protein intake (40% macro; .8-1g per # BW) and the aforementioned exercises.

I truly believe that anyone with the same level of dedication and discipline can do it too.

That is all true and I was somewhat over the top in my post above. However I am of the same mindset as @ndj1979 in that I like to eat and have the occasional, or not so occasional alcoholic beverage.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

agree, I guess my point was that OP should not be getting depressed if he does not get all the way there. And maintaining that level of leaned does require a degree of precision and dedication that I have not quite gotten back to.

It sounds like your genetics are better than mine from an ab showing perspective, totally jealous...
  • Jay2Zee
    Jay2Zee Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Abs are like racing stripes on a fast car, doesn't make the car go any faster but definitely looks nice lol. Abs are no joke. It requires dedication and eating right. For those who work regular jobs and can't eat every 3 hours and don't take time to properly meal plan, aren't going to get the abs they want. You'll get abs by not eating however you'll lose all muscle mass in your body and then what's the point? Eat clean and eat just under what your body uses on a daily basis. Pair that with cardio 2-3 times a week.
  • gym4life64
    gym4life64 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Three months of training is just a warm-up. Seriously, this is a marathon not a sprint. Lift HEAVY on the main lifts! Then chase the pump on isolation stuff. Build some muscle! You have to have muscle for it to show. Try to whittle a stick. Theres nothing there. But a log, you can create a masterpiece! Thick, full STRONG muscle is the main goal
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Jay2Zee wrote: »
    Abs are like racing stripes on a fast car, doesn't make the car go any faster but definitely looks nice lol. Abs are no joke. It requires dedication and eating right. For those who work regular jobs and can't eat every 3 hours and don't take time to properly meal plan, aren't going to get the abs they want. You'll get abs by not eating however you'll lose all muscle mass in your body and then what's the point? Eat clean and eat just under what your body uses on a daily basis. Pair that with cardio 2-3 times a week.

corrected...