Help I'm Scared to Go Into Maintenance

Options
These are my stats:
SW 330 Jan 2016
CW 165.6
GW 165

59 female
5'5 Tall

I've been done this road many times and this time I want to make it stick. I'm scared I won't handle maintenance right as I have not before. Not to sure what I need to do to make it stick this time around . TDEE says I can eat 1589 MFP says 1660 at goal weight. I have it set for the lowest setting. I walk about 2 to 2 and half hours each day between 12 -15 thousands step each day. Right now I eat between 1000 to 1100 calories a day if I do eat 1200 which I know I should I feel stuffed. I'm scared that if I do eat 1500 calories I will gain weight back which will start me on a downward spiral. Any advice on how to start to maintain would make me grateful

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• pkweier
    pkweier Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help. I did think about going to 160 and use the 160-165 as my range. I like the idea about adding 100 calories at a time. Yes 1500 is my maintenance number according to TDEE
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft5 and 134lbs and lose slowly on net 1600 so i doubt that is actually maintenance for you.

Up your cals slowly 100 cals a week by adding my calorie dense foods. Swap anything low fat for full fat, and my personal favourite, peanut butter!
  • pkweier
    Options
    I am 5ft5 and 134lbs and lose slowly on net 1600 so i doubt that is actually maintenance for you.

Up your cals slowly 100 cals a week by adding my calorie dense foods. Swap anything low fat for full fat, and my personal favourite, peanut butter!

Thanks and I love peanut butter also.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When I switched to maintenance, I added calories back little by little, not all at once. As others have said, just add 100 calories each week to your goal until you find your happy place. It may not be exactly where MFP predicts, anyway. It's a bit of a trial and error. And don't be scared. If you find yourself gaining at some point, you know what to do. Just get back on your program. Good luck! B)
  • pkweier
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    When I switched to maintenance, I added calories back little by little, not all at once. As others have said, just add 100 calories each week to your goal until you find your happy place. It may not be exactly where MFP predicts, anyway. It's a bit of a trial and error. And don't be scared. If you find yourself gaining at some point, you know what to do. Just get back on your program. Good luck! B)

Thanks for the encouraging advice. I know have a plan which will help.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Amazing! The party is at your house! :)

Getting to eat a few more calories is sweet.

Anyway, my mantra is "just keep logging." You may get a little bounce when you go out of deficit (~2lbs), not to worry.

Things to think about: what can you do now that you couldn't do then? Whatever it is, I hope you do it!
  • CiaIgle
    CiaIgle Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I share your worries. It happens to me when I started maintenance :smile:

I guess the most important thing is to internalize that starting maintenance is not the end of the journey. THIS is a continuation, and the key to not waste all previous effort.

Not being the end of the journey can be translated as not the end of logging, and this is the key.

In my case I decided for the big bang, I calculated my maintenance level and sticked to it, logging with the same accuracy as always. If something is wrong, my scale will let me know :smile:

I can say that so far so good, no change in the scale and a lot less effort on keeping my goals.
  • pkweier
    Options
    Amazing! The party is at your house! :)

Getting to eat a few more calories is sweet.

Anyway, my mantra is "just keep logging." You may get a little bounce when you go out of deficit (~2lbs), not to worry.

Things to think about: what can you do now that you couldn't do then? Whatever it is, I hope you do it!

Thanks my plan was to keep logging. I only joined MFP end of March after I was at a stale mate and someone told me about it. I lost 20 pounds since then. I log everything and weigh all my food which I will continue to do
  • pkweier
    Options
    CiaIgle wrote: »
    I share your worries. It happens to me when I started maintenance :smile:

I guess the most important thing is to internalize that starting maintenance is not the end of the journey. THIS is a continuation, and the key to not waste all previous effort.

Not being the end of the journey can be translated as not the end of logging, and this is the key.

In my case I decided for the big bang, I calculated my maintenance level and sticked to it, logging with the same accuracy as always. If something is wrong, my scale will let me know :smile:

I can say that so far so good, no change in the scale and a lot less effort on keeping my goals.

This was my issue before when I lost weight I stopped the journey, your right it is a continuation in a different way. I will keep on logging as it holds me accountable and I can see what I am eating.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I you can lose 165#, you can do anything!

Just look at maintenance as a new goal, continue to log everything you eat and weigh yourself daily. If daily wt variations bug you, use Excel or another program to compute and track a 7 or 15 day moving average which will smooth out the variations.

If your weight creeps up, cut back. If it drops, eat a bit more. After some trial andd error, you'll find the amount of cals that will allow you to maintain your weigh where it is now or where you'd like it to be.

I'm sure that you can do it. Good luck!
  • pkweier
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I you can lose 165#, you can do anything!

Just look at maintenance as a new goal, continue to log everything you eat and weigh yourself daily. If daily wt variations bug you, use Excel or another program to compute and track a 7 or 15 day moving average which will smooth out the variations.

If your weight creeps up, cut back. If it drops, eat a bit more. After some trial andd error, you'll find the amount of cals that will allow you to maintain your weigh where it is now or where you'd like it to be.

I'm sure that you can do it. Good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement I do weight myself every day and I must admit till I started reading the posts about how weight changes daily due to many different things it has eased my mind. I have weekly weigh in on Sunday and keep track of it the old fashion way pen and paper. Looking back since I started I can see where some weeks I only lose a few ounces and the next week 2 pounds. My goal now is to get somewhere between 160-165 and stay there. In a few months I might try to loose another 10 pounds although for now I'm at a happy place.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    I lost the last 30+ on Weight Watchers. I was counting points, not calories. But this is how it worked for me.

My goal was 184lbs, the highest acceptable weight for me for WW Lifetime. Made that. Ate more but kept tracking. Kept losing. All the way to 169lbs. Decided I didn't like that, added food until I hit about 178. Kept tracking for about 4 1/2 more years until they changed all the points and I learned to maintain without tracking.

What I'm trying to say is, I think your weight loss program is a good as your tracking. Add some calories and keep tracking. So long as tracking remains a habit, the rest is just adjusting to suit yourself.
  • pkweier
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I lost the last 30+ on Weight Watchers. I was counting points, not calories. But this is how it worked for me.

My goal was 184lbs, the highest acceptable weight for me for WW Lifetime. Made that. Ate more but kept tracking. Kept losing. All the way to 169lbs. Decided I didn't like that, added food until I hit about 178. Kept tracking for about 4 1/2 more years until they changed all the points and I learned to maintain without tracking.

What I'm trying to say is, I think your weight loss program is a good as your tracking. Add some calories and keep tracking. So long as tracking remains a habit, the rest is just adjusting to suit yourself.

Thank you and I agree about the tracking it will be a lifetime habit for me
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    tenor.gif
  • pkweier
    Options
    Thank you Mystic I'm sure I'm going to need it as I start another journey in life. I don't know how it will feel being at a good weight as I battled this monster all my life.