YoYo Slows Down Metabolism and Fat Loss?

Options
Hello!
I’ve asked a bit of this before and gained some better understanding, but I wanted others opinions!
If I have yo-yo dieted (mainly a work week dieter) does this contestant restriction and random splurges (that keep me from losing) affect my metabolism and slow it down?
Like does this up and down dieting damage my metabolism?
Thanks!

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    No.
  • alexxazt
    alexxazt Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    No.
    I did 5:2 to lose my excess weight, my metabolism, health and fitness are just fine.

I wouldn't call what you are doing yo-yo dieting though. To me that's people that lose the amount of weight they intended to but fail to maintain at goal weight and regain the weight they lost.

Many people treat their calorie allowance as a weekly amount and vary the daily limits to make the process less unpleasant, less restrictive and easier to fit into their lifestyle.

So just being consistent with intake can bring me to my goals, and metabolism isn’t any slower? It’s just I haven’t been at a week calorie deficit and that’s it?

And what is 5:2?
  • canarysal
    canarysal Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    5:2 is intermittent fasting diet, 2 days in a week eating 600 calories and 5 days eating at normal calories. Ive done in past with success.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Yo-yo dieting is usually refers to people who lose a lot of weight and gain it back repeatedly. Over time they lose more lean mass, which negatively affects their body composition and metabolism.

Intermittent fasting is not that, and does not affect your metabolism like that.
  • alexxazt
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Yo-yo dieting is usually refers to people who lose a lot of weight and gain it back repeatedly. Over time they lose more lean mass, which negatively affects their body composition and metabolism.

Intermittent fasting is not that, and does not affect your metabolism like that.

Oh okay!
    So like I just haven’t been able to budge below 160lbs!
    Back in January I was able to get to 150lbs but then gained 10 back to 160lbs!
    I just have been having trouble getting to my goal of 135lbs!
    Is that yo-yo dieting? Or a slower metabolism?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    uogb06yto39i.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Just drink green tea laced with garcinia cambogia..
    It will definitely reset your damaged metabolism.

Nice that you're having fun! The comedy isn't helping OP one bit, though. Ha ha ha.

OP: Variation in calories on different days of the week shouldn't matter, as long as the overall calorie deficit is happening. Major ups and downs in body weight (10+ pounds-ish, guessing) over weeks/months/years of up/down? Those could be more destructive, potentially, for reasons others have mentioned.
  • alexxazt
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

OP: Variation in calories on different days of the week shouldn't matter, as long as the overall calorie deficit is happening. Major ups and downs in body weight (10+ pounds-ish, guessing) over weeks/months/years of up/down? Those could be more destructive, potentially, for reasons others have mentioned.

What do you mean by more destructive? Sorry, I’m a semi newbie. I’ve been exercising for years, but nutrition always sucks on weekends. My goal has been weight loss for what feels like forever!

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    alexxazt wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

What do you mean by more destructive? Sorry, I’m a semi newbie. I’ve been exercising for years, but nutrition always sucks on weekends. My goal has been weight loss for what feels like forever!

Lose a bunch of weight fast, likely to lose some muscle. Regain the weight without some solid exercise program, gain is fat, not muscle. Net: Higher body fat percent, maybe just slighly higher; lower lean body mass.

But repeat, repeat, repeat, until it's a yo-yo: It's a slow downward spiral of body composition, plus probably a reduced daily calorie burn that adds to the problem over time.

Edited: Typo