Want the food more than the weight loss?

Options
I want to get healthy. I'm overweight. I've got high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm not that happy with my appearance. But... I'm not that UNhappy with my appearance either. My husband adores me. I don't care that much about what other people think of my appearance anyway these days. In the past, vanity was always a strong motivation. But I've lost that. I just want to do this to be healthy but, when presented with a bowl of ice cream or cookies, I seem to think that my healthy lifestyle can wait one more day. And, as they say, tomorrow never comes. How did anyone with a similar struggle get past this?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You just have to decide which you want more. The big bowl of ice cream and cookies every day or smaller portions (or the big bowl less often) and weight loss. It's not something someone else can do for you. It's a decision you have to make.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Do you have kids?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    A lot of us are here more to get healthy than to get a cute figure. I agree with log a couple of weeks faithfully without any changes to what you eat. Then sit down and see what foods are likely affecting your blood pressure and cholesterol the most, see what changes you can make. I am also a big believer in crowding out the foods that aren't as good for your situation with foods you like that are good. Beets are good for blood pressure. Do you like them? Add them once in a while, or add them to a smoothie. And just keep on. Good luck!
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    omsmom12 wrote: »
    I want to get healthy. I'm overweight. I've got high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm not that happy with my appearance. But... I'm not that UNhappy with my appearance either. My husband adores me. I don't care that much about what other people think of my appearance anyway these days. In the past, vanity was always a strong motivation. But I've lost that. I just want to do this to be healthy but, when presented with a bowl of ice cream or cookies, I seem to think that my healthy lifestyle can wait one more day. And, as they say, tomorrow never comes. How did anyone with a similar struggle get past this?

Normally a health scare focuses the mind. In my opinion, don't be a statistic and take responsibility for your health but ultimately its your call. Whatever your approach best of luck. Oh for reference I was one of those that had a health scare before I got my *kitten* together. Enjoy your ice cream and good luck.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,464 Member
    Options
    I've been at goal 11 years. Until about 2 months ago, I ate ice cream almost every day. I think I finally got tired of it. I've had my go at nearly every modified frozen treat. Last fave was Breyers No Sugar added.

On the other hand, I rarely touch a cookie. Hard to fit in. And to me they're like potato chips, no such thing as just 1.

And how do these things get presented where you live? I almost always have to present them to myself.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Do it for your health. I'd say high blood pressure and high cholestrol are BIG reasons to make a change.

And like everyone has said, treats in moderation are still allowed. Losing weight isn't a punishment or a "all in" kinda thing. That is what I wish more people would realize. I still drink alcohol, eat cake/cookies, and all the other things I like but only once in a while. And I leave room for the calories. Or I plan for it at the weekend by eating less on the weekdays.
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your insightful advice. I appreciate you taking the time. I had a call from a health coach today and we'll talk again in four weeks. I think the accountability, along with your good advice, will help a lot. Thanks again!
  • kelly_stevens81
    kelly_stevens81 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Look to halo top for your big bowl of ice cream then you can have both!