Switched from coffee to green tea!

Replies

• olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    One huge nutritional change I have made recently is to stop drinking coffee. I personally like my coffee with heavy 18% cream and two tsp of sugar, a 'double double' as we say in Canada. Sometimes I would drink 2 or 3 a day and it really adds up. Now I have changed over to green tea and its way better not only because I can add honey to it but because it counts towards my daily water intake. Cutting cream out is paying off in how I feel during the day (and I don't have dairy issues at all it's just that it is so fattening). Also no refined white sugar is an ideal situation nutritionally. All of that combined with the health benefits of green tea as an antioxidant made it an easy choice. I've been off coffee for 3 weeks now and I would recommend everyone try it! Feel free to add me.

Why would I try it?? I drink my coffee black, so its like 2 calories anyway. And why is the term "Double Double" exclusive to Canada? :p

Because in the Southwestern U.S., a "Double Double" is a delicious burger from In-N-Out Burger. Two beef patties, two slices of cheese. And it has no sugar, cream or Manuka honey.

You eatin' that animal style?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    edited November 2017
    olive1968 wrote: »
    One huge nutritional change I have made recently is to stop drinking coffee. I personally like my coffee with heavy 18% cream and two tsp of sugar, a 'double double' as we say in Canada. Sometimes I would drink 2 or 3 a day and it really adds up. Now I have changed over to green tea and its way better not only because I can add honey to it but because it counts towards my daily water intake. Cutting cream out is paying off in how I feel during the day (and I don't have dairy issues at all it's just that it is so fattening). Also no refined white sugar is an ideal situation nutritionally. All of that combined with the health benefits of green tea as an antioxidant made it an easy choice. I've been off coffee for 3 weeks now and I would recommend everyone try it! Feel free to add me.

Why would I try it?? I drink my coffee black, so its like 2 calories anyway. And why is the term "Double Double" exclusive to Canada? :p

Because in the Southwestern U.S., a "Double Double" is a delicious burger from In-N-Out Burger. Two beef patties, two slices of cheese. And it has no sugar, cream or Manuka honey.

You eatin' that animal style?

Sometimes even with animal style fries!

Not usually with a cup of coffee though.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Well in general, given how I like my coffee, switching was a healthier choice for me. To each their own.

This is true.

I switched to black (it took a fair amount of training), but once in a while I do love coffee done up to the point it tastes like coffee ice cream.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Quit while you're ahead, OP. Spend your time finding yourself a new naturopath...
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I drink coffee for the safety of everyone else.

I add protein powder to my coffee as a way to try to reach my daily protein needs. If the rest of my diet changes and/or my macro needs change, I'll either switch to black coffee or start adding something with fat (such as cream)... depending on what macro-nutrient changes are needed. In addition to a necessary caffeine fix, I use coffee as a way to deliver the nutrients I lack in the rest of my diet. If I were otherwise reaching macronutrient needs, I would just drink it black.

Sometimes I drink green tea as a warm afternoon beverage, but I do not add any calories to it when I do.

Protein powder in coffee, that is either the most disgusting combination ever, or absolutely brilliant.........either way I'm gonna try it ;)

@emmydoodles83, try a collagen for mixing in to hot drinks - whey clumps with the heat.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    I drink coffee for the safety of everyone else.

I add protein powder to my coffee as a way to try to reach my daily protein needs. If the rest of my diet changes and/or my macro needs change, I'll either switch to black coffee or start adding something with fat (such as cream)... depending on what macro-nutrient changes are needed. In addition to a necessary caffeine fix, I use coffee as a way to deliver the nutrients I lack in the rest of my diet. If I were otherwise reaching macronutrient needs, I would just drink it black.

Sometimes I drink green tea as a warm afternoon beverage, but I do not add any calories to it when I do.

Protein powder in coffee, that is either the most disgusting combination ever, or absolutely brilliant.........either way I'm gonna try it ;)

@emmydoodles83, try a collagen for mixing in to hot drinks - whey clumps with the heat.

@livingleanlivingclean, Thanks for the tip, clumps might have put me off.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member

Whats In-N-Out Burger??? We don't have that here in the Northeastern part of the U.S. where I live, but, we do have "Double Double" coffee at Tim Horton's.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    In-n-Out is a fast food burger joint that originated on the left coast and is spreading from there to the east. Decent burger and fries but will never replace Whataburger for me.
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    I like decaf green tea with honey before bed on cold days... But it's never gonna replace coffee.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member

Whats In-N-Out Burger??? We don't have that here in the Northeastern part of the U.S. where I live, but, we do have "Double Double" coffee at Tim Horton's.

http://www.in-n-out.com/menu.aspx#doubledouble
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Green teas count toward water intake but black teas and coffee don't. That's what my naturopath told me.

Well that's just silly...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Green teas count toward water intake but black teas and coffee don't. That's what my naturopath told me.

Well that's just silly...

I agree,guess my bladder is confused by the black tea I drink a lot of lol
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member

I think that was accepted about coffee until recently. Have seen this reported elsewhere also.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,996 Member
    I drink coffee and black/green tea w/o ever adding anything to them.

They taste fine that way to me, purportedly have certain health benefits and contribute to hydration.

Incredibly, they replaced sodas and beer as my beverages of choice when I started my current weight loss journey.

Untold cals have been saved. Haven't touched a soda since but I'll still drink a brew or 2 when I have the cals available.