Constant DOMS

Options
Hi!
I've been exercising and lifting weights regularly for a little over a year now. I am recovering from an eating disorder and have been struggling to put on weight for months now. I've noticed that i have been experiencing extreme DOMS, even more so than when I was over-exercising and restricting in the depths of my ED. It was suggested I decrease my training intensity and frequency but even with just 2 weight lifting sessions/1 HIIT session a week and walking/stretching, I feel like I am more sore than ever. Any thoughts/advice on how to get my muscles to recover and grow faster?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you eating in a surplus?

How much protein?
  • gothicbees
    gothicbees Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am eating much more than before and I am unsure about protein since I am trying to not count calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gothicbees wrote: »
    I am eating much more than before and I am unsure about protein since I am trying to not count calories.

Does your treatment team know you're on a calorie counting website?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What are you doing during your weightlifting sessions (e.g., exercises, #sets & reps, etc.)?

I'm asking because, in general, working muscles more often *within reason* can help decrease DOMS. For example, many people who do legs once a week squawk about it hurting and then find that doing it twice a week helps.
  • gothicbees
    gothicbees Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My current routine is:
    MON- Lower Body: 3 sets of 8 squats, 3 sets of 10 for lunges, deadlifts, a glute exercise like hip thrusts, calves
    TUE- rest or walk
    WED- Upper Body: 3 sets of 10 exercises for back, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps
    THU- rest or walk
    FRI- cardio/core (I usually just do a fitnessblender video at home)
    SAT- rest
    SUN- rest
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My current routine is:
    MON- Lower Body: 3 sets of 8 squats, 3 sets of 10 for lunges, deadlifts, a glute exercise like hip thrusts, calves
    TUE- rest or walk
    WED- Upper Body: 3 sets of 10 exercises for back, chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps
    THU- rest or walk
    SAT- rest
    SUN- rest

I might change to 2 total body workouts..
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A full-body workout done 2 or 3 times a week produces less soreness. Stick with one of the proven plans mentioned here often (Stronglifts, NROLFW, etc).

Keep your joints moving on your non-lifting days. Being sedentary can increase soreness. :+1:
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Your program seems moderate. I would take a week off lifting (walk or something instead) and see if you still have soreness. There could be something else going on.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    My current routine is:
    TUE- rest or walk
    THU- rest or walk
    SAT- rest
    SUN- rest

I might change to 2 total body workouts..

Agreed.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of other comments about more often full-body workouts. The other thing is a proper diet can help with DOMS. Eating things like bananas and high protein foods wont cure it all but does help. I think there is like a 45 minute window or something like that post workout to get carbs and protein in your system to help with DOMS.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options

But are you eating at a surplus? You were told to decrease your training, but what were you told in regards to your diet?