What’s your New Years Resolution?

Options
For those of you new to Maintenance, your New Years goal for 2017 was likely “to lose x lbs”. Now that you’ve accomplished your goal (assumption since you’re in Maintenance now), what’s your fitness/health goal for 2018? Aside from maintaining of course!

Mine are:
To compete in no less than one racing event every quarter
To continue progressing in my weight lifting program
To try something new at least for one month - kickboxing, jump rope, basketball... idk yet.

What are yours?

Replies

• aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Mine are:
    To enter at least one race (5k or 10k)
    To actually do things instead of just thinking about them - like getting the ladies in my family to run one of the women's cancer research 5ks together
    To volunteer more frequently at my local parkrun
    To finally make my goals of 50 parkruns and get a tshirt

And I'd really like to actually start Strong Curves instead of being too nervous to enter the weights room at the gym!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Options
    Just started rowing daily again and have a goal of reaching 1 million lifetime meters on my Concept2 rower.

Concept2 gives participants a t-shirt, pin and certificate when this is accomplished.

Currently at about 725k lifetime meters rowed over the past 18 months and only have 275k meters to go.

At my present rate of rowing 10k meters/day (5 days/wk), I should easily reach this goal w/in 6 wks by mid-Jan 2018.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    2018 will be my first year retired so that gives me more time and opportunity to do the things I love.

Strength goal:
    Hit body weight x 1.5 for bench press.

Cycing goals:
    Improve my FTP and power to weight ratio.
    Take part in a cycling event or training camp abroad for the first time.
    Set a new PB for one hour time trial and century rides.
    Do more rides and Audax events further away from home to explore more beautiful parts of the UK.

I may get take qualifications in personal training as a bit of a hobby job and also just to learn more but not committed to that yet.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    That’s a really good question. My goal is to maintain my weight and pack on muscle, but I’m not really sure how to quantify that.

I’d love bench and squat my body weight by the end of the year, but that’s pretty unrealistic from where I am today.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Maintain my weight range.
    Continue a regular exercise schedule 4-5x week plus daily walking.
    Hike a mountain with 3,000 ft vertical elevation gain.
    There will probably be some more but these are the main ones now.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    That’s a really good question. My goal is to maintain my weight and pack on muscle, but I’m not really sure how to quantify that.

I’d love bench and squat my body weight by the end of the year, but that’s pretty unrealistic from where I am today.

I have found it really hard to set realistic and quantifiable goals for strength and BF%. So mostly it's frequency and type of workout, just keep progressing!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Mine....NONE
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I have no resolutions, I will just carry on as I am and set goals as and when I want, not just because a new year has started.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't do resolutions but honestly I hope I can find the motivation to lose the 15 lbs I gained back in the last 2 years.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure yet. I've reached all of my 2017 goals except reaching 10% body fat, and I have a Dexa scheduled on 12/30 to see where I am. The best information I have without Dexa is that I'm about 1.5-1.6 lbs. of fat from reaching that; so I'm going into maintenance to start 2018. I'll switch to maintenance regardless of whether Dexa shows I got to that 10% goal or not (unless it is way off, which is highly doubtful).

In 2018 while starting maintenance, my goals are probably going to be to improve marathon time. I need to come up with some specifics. While I'm not really a weight lifter, I've been doing some strength training over the last 2 months during the non-running season. My sets are all 3x8 and I typically do 135 lbs. bench press and 275 lbs. squat. My body weight is hovering around 140 lbs., so I'm not sure if I should use a factor of body weight as a goal as some of you have, or if I should just increase a certain percentage over what I'm doing today. My arms are obviously very weak, but since my interest is running; I'm not sure I see that as a problem that needs to be improved.

So I suppose my goals are:
    1. Improve marathon time (need to think about what I want as a goal time).
    2. Something with improved strength, but not sure what...