Stressed with Macros

Options
Newly vegan and worrying over macros and finding I'm thinking about food planning almost every minute of the day.

I have been making prep for a while now and there are 3 in my family but they eat differently to me.

This is all a bit much, I don't want to look like Hulk Hogan...good job as I'm female :D but some toned muscles would be nice. I eat well, enough protein and the like but I have anxiety with all of it.

This isn't what I signed up for :'(

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Newly vegan and worrying over macros and finding I'm thinking about food planning almost every minute of the day.

I have been making prep for a while now and there are 3 in my family but they eat differently to me.

This is all a bit much, I don't want to look like Hulk Hogan...good job as I'm female :D but some toned muscles would be nice. I eat well, enough protein and the like but I have anxiety with all of it.

This isn't what I signed up for :'(

At this point I'd rather look like Hulk Hogan than the kid from Diary of a Wimpy Kid, which is how I feel I look.

Anyway, what's the purpose of going vegan? Just wondering the reason because it may help provide a little more insight.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Oh sorry, no I mean that working out meals is driving me crazy not veganism.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

I was a vegetarian for 10 years, a vegan for 2 of them, so I'm not putting it down. I was just wondering the reason for the veganism. Sorry if someone thought that my question deserved a "woo."
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

What exactly is stressing you out? Just trying to get adequate protein?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Would regarding protein and fat as minimum goals rather than percentages (if that's what you are doing...) be less restrictive and cause less anxiety?
    (I'm making the assumption that as a vegan carbs naturally look after themselves....)
  • Silkysausage
    edited January 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Would regarding protein and fat as minimum goals rather than percentages (if that's what you are doing...) be less restrictive and cause less anxiety?
    (I'm making the assumption that as a vegan carbs naturally look after themselves....)

Yes, it is the carbs! I don't eat bread, potatoes, try and eat quinoa as it's less carby than rice and base most things on that.

Proteins include beans, lentils and soy, pea protein powder. Fat from avocado, nuts, olive oil.

So this leaves me with little room for manouvre and might become too restrictive and I'm a little overwhelmed with that thought.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, a vegan diet is way higher in carbs, so if the level of carbs is freaking you out, you'll need to get used to it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The "Hello Healthy" stuff on your mfp news feed has a plethora of preppable vegan stuff.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you don't hit your macros, they don't come and arrest you for it. As long as you're getting more or less enough protein and a minimal amount of fat, you'll be fine.

You can change your macros to something that works better for you under settings. Or just ignore the warnings.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Where did you get your macros from, and is there a specific reason you feel the need to hit them to the point it stresses you out?

I just try to get enough protein most days and let the rest fall where they may. If I notice my fat is low for a couple days in a row I'll make an effort to get that up. As long as I'm feeling good I don't stress about it. :smiley:
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Where did you get your macros from, and is there a specific reason you feel the need to hit them to the point it stresses you out?

I just try to get enough protein most days and let the rest fall where they may. If I notice my fat is low for a couple days in a row I'll make an effort to get that up. As long as I'm feeling good I don't stress about it. :smiley:

I got them from IIFYM with a reason to gain muscle, I'm 113 pounds and need all the help I can get.
  • Silkysausage
    edited January 2018
    Options

I got them from IIFYM with a reason to gain muscle, I'm 113 pounds and need all the help I can get.

And IIFYM (the web site) works with fixed macro percentages which are restrictive and unnecessary. IIFYM the eating philosophy isn't the same thing at all - flexible dieting means exactly that, flexible not fixed, yours not someone else's macro choices. If you don't like restriction then don't make yourself be restricted.

Get your protein in, get your fat in - the rest of your allowance then becomes flexible within your calorie goal.

And do remember you don't gain muscle from eating. Good training supported by an adequate diet - nothing more complex than that (apart from patience!).

I do weights three times a week and am progressing heavier, I'm trying to do my best with the info that is out there. I eat well, healthy but yes maybe it is why I'm in a corner now with all of this.

Forgive me if I am wrong but why would this info exist for those who want to weightlift to and add muscle/lean out and then not use it?

I've never seen the 'eat what you like as long as it falls into macro' advice before. It's usually very complicated with addition and subtraction, body fat ratio and...well, might as well but inside leg measurement :D

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

And IIFYM (the web site) works with fixed macro percentages which are restrictive and unnecessary. IIFYM the eating philosophy isn't the same thing at all - flexible dieting means exactly that, flexible not fixed, yours not someone else's macro choices. If you don't like restriction then don't make yourself be restricted.

Get your protein in, get your fat in - the rest of your allowance then becomes flexible within your calorie goal.

And do remember you don't gain muscle from eating. Good training supported by an adequate diet - nothing more complex than that (apart from patience!).

I do weights three times a week and am progressing heavier, I'm trying to do my best with the info that is out there. I eat well, healthy but yes maybe it is why I'm in a corner now with all of this.

Forgive me if I am wrong but why would this info exist for those who want to weightlift to and add muscle/lean out and then not use it?

I've never seen the 'eat what you like as long as it falls into macro' advice before. It's usually very complicated with addition and subtraction, body fat ratio and...well, might as well but inside leg measurement :D

IIFYM. Com is just one opinion on what your diet should look like. You can use their guidelines if you want, just don't stress out if you don't make those numbers every day. If your primary goal is building muscle, the most important thing is getting your calories and your workout. Second would be trying go get your protein, but just try, don't worry too much about it.

I try to plan my protein for each meal/ snack first, then build everything else around that. And I do sometimes use protein shakes when I fall behind too often.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You seem to be ignoring all the reasoned advise in this thread and making things purposefully difficult.

Have reasonable goals. Hit fat, hit protein and fill the rest of your calorie allowance with carbs.

There's no extra points for eating quiona over any other carb.

It's really not that difficult.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

"Forgive me if I am wrong but why would this info exist for those who want to weightlift to and add muscle/lean out and then not use it?"

Don't get what point you are trying to make at all - can you expand please?
    The internet is full of information and opinions, some good, some OK, some awful - some just pretty much irrelevant to most people outside a small niche. IIFYM.com is just a website with one person's opinion.

You lean out by burning off your fat stores, you promote muscle growth from your training.
    Diet merely supports your training/recovery and that diet can be hugely varied between individuals although certain parameters are known to be beneficial. (e.g. higher than normal protein, even that has a huge range not one set number).

Flexible dieting / IIFYM is trying to get away from silly and unnecessary restrictions such as arbitrary numbers of meals, gym bro diets of steamed chicken and broccoli - I'm not seeing how that philosophy is making you more anxious rather than less anxious. (My guess is you are trying to precisely hit certain numbers - I'm trying to show you that's not needed or helpful.)

You need to expand on the anxiety you are feeling and your thought processes because it's not clear.
    Why precisely are you stressing about carbs? As long as they fit in your calorie allowance what's the problem if they are proportionally high but in context of a healthy diet?
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Would setting a larger range in your macros help? Such as 200-220 carbs? I’m a longtime macro counter but I don’t worry about exacly hitting my numbers till I am trying to lose weight and cut for a competition. I would track but loosely. Planning ahead works for me and making several meals at a time same lunch for a week. If your goal is to gain weight & muscle a calorie surplus in general is still the key.
  • Silkysausage
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    You seem to be ignoring all the reasoned advise in this thread and making things purposefully difficult.

Have reasonable goals. Hit fat, hit protein and fill the rest of your calorie allowance with carbs.

There's no extra points for eating quiona over any other carb.

It's really not that difficult.

Certainly not, quite the opposite. I'm asking questions like any person should. I'm so pleased that you have it all figured out.